One pump for chiller and return

chrisyew

• SRC Member

Is it ok to use juz 1 pump (eg. Aquabee UP3000i - 3000l/hr) for the CL650 chiller and also as a return pump instead of 2 pumps? What are the disadvantages if juz using 1 pump? Will it cause the chiller to kick on more often?

My main tank and sump are 2ft tanks.

Thank you.

• SRC Member

Thanks very much for the useful link. It's really a very good article.

As it mentioned : size yr chiller according to the heat load and tank capacity. This is the most difficult part where I'm not sure. Mine is a 2ft tank with a 2ft sump. 4x24W T5 tubes. 1 Macro AS100P skimmer. That's all in the mean time. So from here, how to determine what chiller size to use (For Resun chillers).

And also is one return pump for chiller and return enough?

• SRC Member

i suggest u get eheim

there should be quite a substantial head loss after going through a chiller and then climbing all the way up to your tank outlet.

aquabee 3000 is meant for headloss of 2.4m which isn't alot if you include resistance from pipe elbows etc

eheim 1262 is 3.6m, much better pump power.

btw, your tank is 2ft only, cl650 confirm can take your volume.

i can't help you with other resun models cos i only haf experience with cl650 which people use for 4 foot and i myself use for 5 foot tank

• SRC Member
i suggest u get eheim

there should be quite a substantial head loss after going through a chiller and then climbing all the way up to your tank outlet.

aquabee 3000 is meant for headloss of 2.4m which isn't alot if you include resistance from pipe elbows etc

eheim 1262 is 3.6m, much better pump power.

btw, your tank is 2ft only, cl650 confirm can take your volume.

i can't help you with other resun models cos i only haf experience with cl650 which people use for 4 foot and i myself use for 5 foot tank

Thank you very much for your input.

The height from my sump to the main tank on top is the most 1.2m. I intend to use an external return pump as I don't wish to put the pump in the sump as it may heat up the water due to the high wattage of the pump.

Yes, do agreed that the Ehiem 1262 is better over the Aquabee due to head loss, the onli concern I've is the much higher wattage of Ehiem.

Actually I do understand that CL650 can be used for much bigger tank than 2ft as most of you are using. After spoken to one of the sponsors here, I was recommended to use a higher rated chiller as it will save energy and cool down the water faster.

BTW, what is the ideal chiller size for Resun to use for a standard 2ft tank so that it will not kick on too often? Understand that kiking on too often will worn out the chiller faster and also a waste of electricity.

Thanks once again.

• SRC Member

hmmm frankly, when u want fast ferrari, u cannot think about saving on fuel consumption

although i fully understand your concern with elec bill but i think we all who enter this hobby mustn't think about pump wattage.

although i'd personally still go with eheim, but it'll ultimately be your decision la :)

but do remember that hor, many people have reflected that you need the right flow rate to go along with a particular temperature setting.

so if you use just 1 pump for chiller and the return...IF the pump happens to be too powerful you can still add a valve to tune down the flow but it'll compromise on the return flow. if too weak, you're stuck unless u buy another pump :lol:

dun ask me what's the right flow to use :lol: i really don't know, i guess it really depends on your temperature setting (i use weipro 4000 with my cl650 for temperature set of 27...this maintains tank temp at 27.5)

so IMO, getting 2 pumps is best. 1 for return & 1 for chiller so that you can always tune 1 without affecting the other...spend more money yes...but save troubles!

hm if you're worried about pricing why not get a cheap weipro pump for your chiller and get the aquabee for return? this way your aquabee will not lose much flow. and i think the wattage for this combi will still be less than the eheim. (but not much la...maybe 10-20watts lesser)

eh IF i remember correctly usually people who use 2 footers will go with cl450. hmm to be sure u can try looking around under the member's tank section, i do beleive cl450 should be what you want

cheers!

• SRC Member

Thanks Shoelvy.

I can't drive more than 100km/hr so a Ferrari is no use to me hehe, joking.

Really appreciate your input. Yep, electrical bill is one issue and generating too much heat from those high wattages is another worry as water still pass thru them, whether internal or external pump.

Think 27 deg. is quite the norm for temp. setting. Thanks for telling me about the CL450 for 2ft tank.

Is the Weipro 4000 noisy?

bro shoelevy any pic of your sump ?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member
Really appreciate your input. Yep, electrical bill is one issue and generating too much heat from those high wattages is another worry as water still pass thru them, whether internal or external pump.

Think 27 deg. is quite the norm for temp. setting. Thanks for telling me about the CL450 for 2ft tank.

Is the Weipro 4000 noisy?

actually i dun think u need to worry about the heat when u got chiller

i mean i haf got lemme see...130W external, 180W worth of pumps internal+500W mh and 100W t5 and my chiller still ok, like no kick...lol...take about 45min-1hr+ to cool from 29 to 27?

IMo its good enough

below is a pic of my sump showing the internal pumps...sorry its a mess, you've got 4 pumps squeezing in 1 compartment

oh i go for the empty sump concept..no wool nothing, beckett takes care of everything.

wool just traps dirt and becomes no3 factory.

the rock i see in the first sump is for the urchin to eat cos no one wans it so must let it stay there :(

anyone wans the white pin cushion urchin lemme know

its for free

oh btw i've got 2 weipro4000 and they are very quiet

no sound at all...but the 1 thing i dun like is after some months, when u off the pump and u on again, u need to get sth to turn the blades before they start turning

but other than that they are good

running 24/7 and they are about 1yr+ old

good enough for china stuff if u ask me

post-17-1145724267.jpg

• SRC Member

lol

bo pian la so many pumps.

2 hose for FR in and out

2 hose for chiller in and out

another 2 for return...so it looks abit hmm...messed up

lol

when i started setting up i need flexible pipings cos i wasn't experienced so i didn't wanna fix any permanently with pipes so everything is hose

and ever since then everythnig's been running fine so well...dun wish to change too much

aniway...good luck on the chiller!

close up of the pumps

180watts worth

serious about the turning of the fan when using weipro 4000 ?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

hmm are u toking about micro bubbles due to water overflowing from 2nd chamber?

if so, there is some, but not much and doesn't get to the pumps.

actually i keep it low is bo pian...lol. as in i did a black out test and that's the level i haf to keep it at. any higher and there'll be a flood when there's a blackout... lol

you are facing problems with microbubbles?

• SRC Member

I have similar problem. If I keep the water level high, there is no microbubble. But if in the event of power failure, water from my 4ft skimmer and overflow box will back flow into the sump and potentially overflow the sump. So I have to keep the water level as low as possible. In certain cases, I even have to use a siphoning pipe between the chambers to draw water over so as to keep the first few chambers water level lower than the actual overflow buffle. Don't know how to solve this problem except to replace with a new and much bigger sump, but that won't fit into my cabinet. sigh..

Anyone has experience cutting the glass overflow buffle to make it shorter?