Do you use air pump in your marine tank?

Patrick

• SRC Member

Hi, wonder if any bros use airpump to drive air into the marine tank like in freshwater fish tank. Been asking LFS and get differing views. See some LFS using it in their showtanks with fish and corals. Look kinda nice except for salt spray. but some say it is bad for corals.

• SRC Member

I used airpump for my tank and can also see that my clown fish like to play around with the bubbles. The reason why I stop is because the when the bubbles get to the surface of the water it bust out tiny drop of water and in the end accumiliate to be big droplets. Anyway skimmer has an air driven inlet hence there is also oxygen flowing back to the tank so no more airpumps for me.

• SRC Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have sea horse, I think better dun use air pump cause smtime, they may mistake those tiny bubbles as food and try to feed on it which is bad for their health! :o

IMO some extra oxygen is alright especially if ur tank is heavily stocked. What kinda skimmer (or r u running any at all) u running now? If u have a needlewheel pump skimmer (with air sucked into the pump), then the air pump can do without. Too much dissolved oxygen can create another set of problems, that can affect the health or ur LS... do more readings on REDOX and Supersaturation.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I guess some people will like the effect of seeing bubbles rise from underneath the sandbed, behind the rocks, etc. The effect can be really nice for FW tanks. As for marine tanks, well....i don't know. Oh, Wisma's tank has air bubbles rising from underneath their rockscape too. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~