Jacky's Aquamedic Chromis Tank

hammy

• SRC Member

Ok I will remember that... do more water change and avoid relying too much on Mg additives... yeah I'm using Kalk water <_< Will a good Calcium Reactor help stabilize Mg? Prob not. ;)

actually not really. good saltmix (with good contain of mg level) will help in stabilize your mg ;)

our ca and mg usually "drop" slower. but our system consume kh must faster. with good saltmix + regular water change will help in stabilize our ca and mg... but you got to dose your kh more frequence (that will depend how much your system consume your kh) since you don't have CR to maintain it.

age.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am planning to get a CR soon... is Aqua Medic a reasonable good choice?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

correction... CR maintain your Ca and kh. good saltmix give you good mg level :)

it is good to get a CR... don't have to be so troublesome dosing this and that. but it's also take time too tune it to the setting you want. so, be patient for the tuning. but it is worth :P

i am not too sure of the AM CR. may be ian can gives his view cos he used it once :rolleyes:

age.png

jack, you got to practice go slow in raising up your kh... 2 dkh within a day is too fast and your system will be stressed ;) try to go at least 0.5-1 dkh witnin 24 hrs. in fact both are link. once your kh up, your ph will follow. i run my system with CR, my ph sometime range between 7.9-8.3 with kh 7.5-8 :)

have you found out why your kh went low?

the few reason that i think my kH went down

dosing of AZ-NO3

phosbuster

increasing feeding due to my anthias

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

that is very useful. thanks

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

i think i overdo it .

pH :8.4

kh :12

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

I dosed Salifert KH + PH Buffer last night too... bringing KH up from 7.4 to 9 :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

remember jack... PH buffer contains kh. when you dose your ph bufffer, u are dosing kh too. logic behind is that both are link ;)

so, with bosing of ph buffer(kh) + kh = super high kh

once you get your kh online, you don't have to worry for ph ;)

age.png

Shocking!!! Aqua Medic Reefsalt result:

pH: 7.8

KH: 4.8!!!

Nitrate: 2 (not using RO/DI)

Phosphate: 0 (our tap water not bad :lol: )

Calcium: 390

Magnesium: 960!!!

Damn! AM Reefsalt is a very very bad salt mix... I'm gonna abandon it already. Bro Loster, what's the best salt mix to use if U want to have high Mg (and hopefully KH)?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

AM saltmix mg is very low. to raise up from 960ppm - 1300ppm is real expensive

waiting for jack to get his ME saltmix parameters :) but i suspect that it kh is on the low side too.

Oceanic has high mg and ca. and kh is cheaper to buffer it up. ML using it :lol:

i am not too sure of the corallife salt parameters now... hope that they have improve their consistency :huh: so far my friend who keeps sps has been using it... didn't hear any complain on the later batch he bought. earlier, he has his low kh problem with that salt. after that, bought another one with no ca in it :cry: exchanged it and now no complain B)

age.png

Only now I realised there's so much to the saltmix itself... I didn't know they may differ that greatly!!! I still can't believe the very low KH and low Mg :unsure: No wonder I'm experiencing low KH all the time and my Mg been depleting steadily <_<

What about Tropic Marin Pro? Have you ever tried using it?

• SRC Member

i am using TM reef pro for my sps tank. it is a good salt. it ca and kh is good. but the down side is that it has slightly low mg. the batch that i have now, the mg is 1200ppm. the last one i had 1100ppm. so, u need to dose some mg supplement (which is expensive) into your prepared saltmix before you do water change.

since i am runninng CR and i add 10% of my CR vol of mag pro media in it. now, i can still maintain my mg at 1350ppm without adding mg supplement :)

age.png

just added aquamedic hydrocarbonate as substrate for my tank , courtesy from jervis .hope that will give my tank a more stable kh and calcium.

nothing much to update recently as no buying of stuff

loster , the 20kg of marine environment just sit in my cabinet doing nothing as i dun change water as often as before le. maybe that's why i have unstable kh too .i am using the coral marine right now for water change .

now i dun seem to have phosphate and nitrate prob but rather kh. ca and mg yet to measure . maybe i will get a shock after i measure.

maybe i should not measure haha

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Is there a Salt Mix out there that can give 1300+ Mg??? I don't care if the KH and Ca is low, those 2 are easier/cheaper to dose :)

Is there a Salt Mix out there that can give 1300+ Mg??? I don't care if the KH and Ca is low, those 2 are easier/cheaper to dose :)

seachem. but i think it is on the pricy side

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

seachem. but i think it is on the pricy side

If it can take away my Mg problem... I don't mind spend a little more... the Aqua Medic I'm using is not cheap anyway... what's the full product name? Any idea where I can get it? Need it for next water change. My current mix in a tub... dunno wanna use or not... Mg 990 :( KH 4.8 :(

• SRC Member

either you dose up your mg and kh after mixing before you do your wwater change. or you change your salfmix.

Oceanic has a good and high mg and ca. and you can just easy dose up kh in your saltmix before every water change.

coralife has also good mg and ca too :)

age.png

just bought a huge balck cap gramma and some zoo from iwarna again .

no true blue haiz.

dun think i have the luck to get too. hee hee

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

just bought a huge balck cap gramma and some zoo from iwarna again .

no true blue haiz.

dun think i have the luck to get too. hee hee

PIX PIX PIX!!! Bro, if I ever get my hands on a True Blue Zoos... will frag you 1 polyp lor :lol:

• SRC Member
either you dose up your mg and kh after mixing before you do your wwater change. or you change your salfmix.

Oceanic has a good and high mg and ca. and you can just easy dose up kh in your saltmix before every water change.

coralife has also good mg and ca too :)

Any experience using Marine Environment?

PIX PIX PIX!!! Bro, if I ever get my hands on a True Blue Zoos... will frag you 1 polyp lor :lol:

okie , then i shall wait for ur 1 frag. haha. pic coming later

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

perfect 10

5 blue eye

flame angel

purple tang

true perc

starkii

black cap

post-34-1147883285.jpg

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

perfect 10

5 blue eye

flame angel

purple tang

true perc

starkii

black cap

I am so so happy you bought the Black Cap... at least I got to see it in ur thread... a very nice selection of fishies... very carefully selected :bow:

How's the hydrocarbon? Post a pix lah... I filled my sand bed with it already... better coz my Stream can't mess up my sand bed anymore :lol:

I am so so happy you bought the Black Cap... at least I got to see it in ur thread... a very nice selection of fishies... very carefully selected :bow:

How's the hydrocarbon? Post a pix lah... I filled my sand bed with it already... better coz my Stream can't mess up my sand bed anymore :lol:

one of the reason that i wanna fill my sandbed with with hydrocarbonate is that my seio cant mess up with the sandbed too. of course along with other good reason to add in the hydrocarbonate . now coral all close le and sandbed only like half fill, will post more tomolo .

of course add fish must careful, so to prevent further problem lor . :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets