Jacky's Aquamedic Chromis Tank

hammy

er , my hammer grow from 11 head to 16 heads.. :)

i seriously dun know that , only know that it raise alkalinity :)

The growing of heads is promoted by an Increase in CA and other factors..But colouration is gained by Iodine..so any diverse effect on the colours of your corals? :P

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I have been reading about hammers and octopus growing new heads in tanks and wonder how it can happen and how long it takes? :D I am thinking when we buy the hammer all heads are full with the tentacles right? Do u mean another branch grows out from the main trunk complete with tentacles? That can takes years right?

The growing of heads is promoted by an Increase in CA and other factors..But colouration is gained by Iodine..so any diverse effect on the colours of your corals? :P

my coral never has a bleeching problem and colouration of my coral is like constant from the first day i bought it even though i face it everyday .

:) actually the iodine is given to mi by bro thc FOC . heh heh

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

I have been reading about hammers and octopus growing new heads in tanks and wonder how it can happen and how long it takes? :D I am thinking when we buy the hammer all heads are full with the tentacles right? Do u mean another branch grows out from the main trunk complete with tentacles? That can takes years right?

this is the interesting part of LPS . i have this piece of hammer for around 6 months and they have grow from 11 to 16 heads. mine is a branching hammer type coral.

one of the head will sub divide into 2 smaller head and the 2 smaller head will grow from there . heard that once your ca, alkalinity , phosphate level is in check, naturally they will thrieve. as for mi in my case , it took around 6 months.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Wah I can't wait for my Hammer to start splitting... bro Hammy, you must come see the Hammer we bought together... record size today... right now, after 3 hrs of MH, it's bigger than my head... almost the size of a basketball!!! :lol: A very healthy and thriving specimen indeed :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Wah I can't wait for my Hammer to start splitting... bro Hammy, you must come see the Hammer we bought together... record size today... right now, after 3 hrs of MH, it's bigger than my head... almost the size of a basketball!!! :lol: A very healthy and thriving specimen indeed :)

haha..told u already . the LPS can burst into a very huge balloon despite the skeleton size. even the gonio we bought together then will be super huge with time.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

I'm very confused... bro KennethK told me that is an Alveopora... :nc:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I'm very confused... bro KennethK told me that is an Alveopora... :nc:

dun worry . ask iantoh. he is expert in this kind of coral

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

yeah its supposed to help colouration.. my hammers have splited into more heads too so i guess its kinda normal.

Anyway, what does strontium do then?

Anyway, what does strontium do then?

According to Kent Marine, Strontium (plus Molybdenum) will enhance proper growth, corals will open more and stay attached to their skeletons better :)

According to Aqua Marine, Strontium is essential for the production and maintenance of the skeleton of hard corals, the shell of reef mussels (like clams) and calcareous algae :lol:

• SRC Member

According to Kent Marine, Strontium (plus Molybdenum) will enhance proper growth, corals will open more and stay attached to their skeletons better :)

According to Aqua Marine, Strontium is essential for the production and maintenance of the skeleton of hard corals, the shell of reef mussels (like clams) and calcareous algae :lol:

Alrighty, thanks man. That probably explains why my corals are doing quite well together with the other parameters in check of course.

:)

latest ph reading 7.7

alkalinity 6dkh.

now trying to use tropic marine triple buffer to salvage the condition.

everything in the tank looks okie .

guess i have been too complacent .

both test kit from tropic marine

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

latest ph reading 7.7

alkalinity 6dkh.

now trying to use tropic marine triple buffer to salvage the condition.

everything in the tank looks okie .

guess i have been too complacent .

both test kit from tropic marine

Yeah bro... u hv been pretty busy lately... not much update from you... do you get any algae on your glass at all? I got a feeling... since you flow so perfect... u will get very little algae :)

He busy pak tor la. Kh too low brother.

I think he is very busy at work... which is a good thing... bro tell me more about ur TM Triple Buffer... sounds very "powderful" leh... not 2 but 3!!! :lol:

Yeah bro... u hv been pretty busy lately... not much update from you... do you get any algae on your glass at all? I got a feeling... since you flow so perfect... u will get very little algae :)

didnt know that attachment is more busy than studying life .

yup .. now must spend more time with galfriend too.

if i tell u that i have no diatom on my tank wall , i will be lying to u . there is still some but very very minimum

the triple buffer control trace element , kH, pH. but one thing i realise about TM additive is that they have low solubility .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Emm... seems like a magic potion for me... so when you dose, it will add trace elements to ur tank, raise ur KH and pH to optimum level at the same time? Wow!

Emm... seems like a magic potion for me... so when you dose, it will add trace elements to ur tank, raise ur KH and pH to optimum level at the same time? Wow!

by right lah ...

by left , now my kH is still at 6 lor . haiz ....

once my pH is at 8.2 , i will stop using TM triple buffer and continue reef builder .

trace elements , no way to measure lah .

the only concern i have right now is whether my calcium level will depreciate to a very low value with adding of carbonate and bicarbonate salt .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

This is the thing I am still very confused on... and there are so many brands out there... so many of the same products under different trade names... so must not dose blindly... I did that and my calcium level is taking forever to reach the 450 mark. Em... let me do some tests tonight also, later :nuke:

latest reading :

after 45min :

ph:8.2

kh:8

tired le . tomorrow will buff it to at least 10 .for the next few day , will test pH and kH diligently to ensure a constant buffering .

jervis , u use hydrocarbonate as substrate right ? can u pm mi the price of the smallest package ?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member
This is the thing I am still very confused on... and there are so many brands out there... so many of the same products under different trade names... so must not dose blindly... I did that and my calcium level is taking forever to reach the 450 mark. Em... let me do some tests tonight also, later  :nuke:

me use home-made additives for ca, mg and kh :P more concentrated and effective. don't have to spend so much on the brand product :P and they affect your ph and sg ;)

age.png

• SRC Member
latest reading :

after 45min :

ph:8.2

kh:8

tired le . tomorrow will buff it to at least 10 .for the next few day , will test pH and kH diligently to ensure a constant buffering .

jervis , u use hydrocarbonate as substrate right ? can u pm mi the price of the smallest package ?

jack, you got to practice go slow in raising up your kh... 2 dkh within a day is too fast and your system will be stressed ;) try to go at least 0.5-1 dkh witnin 24 hrs. in fact both are link. once your kh up, your ph will follow. i run my system with CR, my ph sometime range between 7.9-8.3 with kh 7.5-8 :)

have you found out why your kh went low?

age.png

My Kh been steadily dropping also (together with Ca and Mg)

Readings 5 days ago:

KH - 9

pH - 8

Ca - 490

Mg - 1110

Readings today:

KH - 7.4

pH - 8

Ca - 470

Mg - 1050

I have just added Salifert KH + PH Buffer and will do another set of readings later. I will have to source for a reliable product to bring up Magnesium.

I know all these are interlinked... perhaps they are all affected by my low Mg.

• SRC Member

water change is the cheaper and most effective way to bring up your mg (get those saltmix with high mg). mg additive is not cheap at all. and most mg product that sold in the market are not concentrated. so, you got to use up a few bottles to bring back your mg level.

just a reminder... long term of dosing kalk water will bring down your mg ;)

age.png

water change is the cheaper and most effective way to bring up your mg (get those saltmix with high mg). mg additive is not cheap at all. and most mg product that sold in the market are not concentrated. so, you got to use up a few bottles to bring back your mg level.

just a reminder... long term of dosing kalk water will bring down your mg ;)

Ok I will remember that... do more water change and avoid relying too much on Mg additives... yeah I'm using Kalk water <_< Will a good Calcium Reactor help stabilize Mg? Prob not. ;)