how to add a tiny BT together with a 2 inch YT ?

i have a 2 inch YT who have been in my tank for more than one week and i plan to get a tiny BT , will they fight ?

pls advice

million thanks

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

The newer tiny BT will confirm not fight (it will be more stressed when first introduced into your tank). What you should be concerned abt is whether ur 2weeks old bigger Yellow tang (which is merely just 2 inch...), will "ka-jiao" the Blue Tang or not.

Then again, such is fish-dependent. It will check out the newcomer, but bully or not, u will have to see for urself.

what I can recommend u to do (choose one) :

1) House the tiny blue tang in a betta box first (preferably a betta box size large enuf to house a pipe, so the tiny blue tang can hide when stressed). After a couple of days, the Yellow Tang would have gotten used to the Blue Tang's presence and wun have check it out and further stress the newcomer.

A second advantage abt housing the BT in a betta box is... well, BTs are notorious for parasites attacks (ich?), so having it housed in the betta box for the initial days, u can monitor it easier and decide if u wanna scoop it out anytime u want.

2) Place a mirror inside the tank to distract the Yellow Tang.

3) House the Yellow Tang in the betta box for a few days instead, until the Blue Tang is happily swimming around and non-stressed.

4) Rescape the tank and its rockworks, so the whole place looks unfamiliar to the yellow tang and all "territories" are wipe out.

5) Scape ur rock works in such a way that there are certain areas, only smaller fishes can go in while the bigger ones cannot.

6) erm... ask Aquamarin? :P

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

You need to acclimatise the small BT, you can use rocks or SPS skeletons(I find they like to hide inside my SPS -seek shelter) also that way u can see them well.Feed with live brine shrimp/mysis if you can , otherwise frozen pellets and generous amount of seaweed!,Tangs are territorial so the bigger or more aggressive fish will chase the other, provide hiding spot. I have 2 purple tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 Acanthurus sohal, 2 hippo (BT , 1 adult , 1 3 inches) all in my 7 feet alongside others!

vipersig.jpg

From what I observe, Yellow tang normally won't harasse blue tang, as their shape are different. But yellow together with purple tang will be chaotic. But if you are afraid they will fight, follow some steps bro elune mentioned.

From what I observe, Yellow tang normally won't harasse blue tang, as their shape are different. But yellow together with purple tang will be chaotic. But if you are afraid they will fight, follow some steps bro elune mentioned.

chaotic in what sense?

Humble tank :

Equipment :

Ya, the mirror is a VERY good method! Aquamarin advised me that and it works!!

mirror method ?

how to do it ?

Humble tank :

Equipment :

• SRC Member

mansiz is very right; their shapes are different, so they probably wun fight. :lol:

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

chaotic in what sense?

They will fight till one death, but I'm lucky enough to intro a yellow tang after a purple tang, as the yellow is very agressive, the purple tang doesn't dare to go near it. Now the yellow will chase after the purple despite the yellow came after the purple, but they are quite use to it, both feeding well. But it's so wierd, during feeding time, they won't fight, the purple will still dare to snatch food from the yellow mouth.

mirror method ?

how to do it ?

Mirror method means to use a mirror to distract agressive fishes, it's quite funny actually, you should place the mirror prior to the new additions, when the mirror is in, fishes normally will hide 1st as they may be not use to it, but after a few hours, you will see many of the fishes pocking at the mirror, fighting themselves. :lol: You can then place the new additions in, this will help to reduce aggression.

any pic on how to do it ?

thanks

Humble tank :

Equipment :

• SRC Member

mirror to distract the aggressor. while the new addn get used to new surrounding.

reason : self reflection indicates another yellow tang to compete for food/territory. so will pick on the yellow tang it sees in the mirror first.

good luck. it doesnt always work though. depends on your luck.

good luck.