"Reef Safe" Trigger

• SRC Member

Just bought a female blue throat trigger from ML this evening. Heard from Henry that the fish is cool, cute with character and reef safe.

I used to have a pink tailed trigger that attacked clams. Henry told me that this lady should be tamer and gentler than that. Since I got no clams, :yeah:

This fella is frightened in new environment and "locked" herself to the rock. Her eyes is roaming around, observing :rolleyes:

post-54-1149684662.jpg

• SRC Member

wonder if you have any big tangs with it ???

My purple and yellow tag team my blue throat yesterday .. sigh ..

poor guy .. back into the betta box until they stop ... female went straight into hiding .. today still hiding .. jammed between the rocks like yours ..

Grr ... think it's about time I sell the purple tang ..

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

my female love to put up a show for all of us. she would swim to the seio and pretend to stuck there and pretend to be struggling. slowly shaking its body out. then she will be swiming around happily before doing the same thing over again. but my male seem to be more timid.

Member of

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member
wonder if you have any big tangs with it ???

My purple and yellow tag team my blue throat yesterday .. sigh ..

I find tangs to be big bully. My YT & Kole teamed up agst most of my new fish. It happened that the trigger is too cute and they didn't bully it :D

my female love to put up a show for all of us. she would swim to the seio and pretend to stuck there and pretend to be struggling. slowly shaking its body out. then she will be swiming around happily before doing the same thing over again. but my male seem to be more timid.

Wow!!! :D:lol: Yours is :bow:

how reef safe are they?  Do they attack cleaner shrimps?

Heard from Henry that they are GENERALLY tame and don't attack cleaner shrimp.

I love puffer but they are not suitable for reef tank. This trigger resemble (to a certain extent) a puffer and that is why my wife loves it. We like fishes that have big eye small mouth, very innocent looking :rolleyes:

This is my trigger

post-54-1150452234.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't expect to see a thread on blue-throats!

I've got a male. Great feeder, always out in the open. Has been in the tank for about 3 mths now. Thinking of adding a female.

Questions:

1) will there be any wars between the two if I add a female now? (I also have a small picasso - about 3cm. The blue-throat is ~ 7cm

2) is there any good reason to have a male and female to begin with? will they pair up automatically? will they be seen swimming around together?

3) last week, I was waving a piece of shrimp held by feeding tongs above the water level. Was trying to ensure all my carnivores get their fair share. The blue-throat spit water at the shrimp! The water was spit as much as 10cm above water level. Is this natural? I know fishes are known to do this to bring their prey down but not sure if blue-throats behave this way in the wild?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

they are supposed to be reef safe :(

just ate my cleaner shrimp and a round crab.. both just added to tank :cry2:

even the lubbocki oso took a bite on the cleaner!!

yub they love shrimps alrite

aquatronica7na.gif