How to raise PH value?

JeffL

• SRC Member

my PH value is now very low, 7.5

I tried seachem PH buffer but it is still so low...

pls advise on how to raise it

2 Feet Tank: (Decom Feb 2015)
-Lightings : Pharos LED light 90W with wireless controller
-Chiller : Arctica 1/10HP with H2Ocean Flow Pump 2000

-Wavemaker : Vortech MP10ES
-Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

-Return Pump : Eheim Compact 3000
-Reactor – TLF150 (Mod) with NP Biopellet
-Reactor – TLF150 with Rowaphos

Dose kalkwasser ;)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

wah so many diff views....

my KH is ard 8 to 9

what kind of salt is good?

• SRC Member

if i keep dosing my PH buffer will my KH goes up too?

then if i use kalkwasser, is my KH going up too?

me blur blur liao

If your KH is 8+ how can your PH be 7.5? Some thing wrong with test kit? or PH meter not calibrated? I made that mistake by accidentally pressing the calibrate button when testing tank :P .

Using any sulphur denitraters? don't directly discharge the outlet into your water.

• SRC Member

now i blur liao :unsure:

i am using seachem test kit for KH

its says i should have KH from 4-6 meq/L, some of you said 10kh is it different units?

from the test my KH is 4 meq/L

• SRC Member
now i blur liao :unsure:

i am using seachem test kit for KH

its says i should have KH from 4-6 meq/L, some of you said 10kh is it different units?

from the test my KH is 4 meq/L

This article explains it very well. : Chemistry and the Aquarium: What is Alk.

Excerpted from the above, are two points which I hope you can grapple with :

So what we are doing is using a very simple alkalinity test as a surrogate measure for bicarbonate and carbonate. Since these two substances comprise the great majority of alkalinity in seawater, it is safe for most people to equate alkalinity with "availability of bicarbonate and carbonate for my corals".

Finally there is the German term dKH (degrees of carbonate hardness), or just KH (carbonate hardness).Strictly speaking, it is the same as the carbonate alkalinity (AC in equation 8). Unfortunately, it is a very confusing term, as it has nothing to do with hardness. .... Consequently, most hobbyists should think of dKH as simply another measure of total alkalinity. The results obtained with such a kit (dKH) can be divided by 2.8 to yield the alkalinity in meq/L.

You're are testing for alk, units are in meq/L, and confusing with dKH. (both are alkalinity test) The conversion is a multiplication by 2.8 for your case. So 4 meq/l would give you a dKH of 11.2

if ur kH is okie , normally ur pH will be fine .

i dose reef builder and tropic marine triple buffer

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

This article explains it very well. : Chemistry and the Aquarium: What is Alk.

Excerpted from the above, are two points which I hope you can grapple with :

So what we are doing is using a very simple alkalinity test as a surrogate measure for bicarbonate and carbonate. Since these two substances comprise the great majority of alkalinity in seawater, it is safe for most people to equate alkalinity with "availability of bicarbonate and carbonate for my corals".

Finally there is the German term dKH (degrees of carbonate hardness), or just KH (carbonate hardness).Strictly speaking, it is the same as the carbonate alkalinity (AC in equation 8). Unfortunately, it is a very confusing term, as it has nothing to do with hardness. .... Consequently, most hobbyists should think of dKH as simply another measure of total alkalinity. The results obtained with such a kit (dKH) can be divided by 2.8 to yield the alkalinity in meq/L.

You're are testing for alk, units are in meq/L, and confusing with dKH. (both are alkalinity test) The conversion is a multiplication by 2.8 for your case. So 4 meq/l would give you a dKH of 11.2

so my kh is 11.2?? then how come my PH still so low

:o

maybe ur test kit is inaccurate.

get another one to confirm.

it is dangerous to have pH at 7.5 only for marine

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Because while they are related, it doesn't mean they are the same. :blink::unsure::huh:

Your Alk measures the carbonates, which 'buffers' or cushions the rise and fall of your pH. The more carbonates you have, i.e. the more alk, the less volatile your pH will be as it 'buffers' the daily swing your tank pH will go thru.

Generally speaking, your pH will keep rising until late afternoon and then if falls to its lowest point just before dawn. Depending on what time of the day you test.

You may not have known, but the daily pH can swing from 7.8 to as high as 8.4... and these are generally acceptable durinal ranges. So pls tell us what time did you do the test? Is yours a test kit or are you using a calibrated pH meter?

A consistently low pH is almost always because of two things : a dirty tank or excess CO2(an ill ventilated room). Do you smoke where your tank room is? there are diff methods depending on weather you want a quickie raise or are you trying to hold it consistent.

[eidt]Oh and pls don't try to buffer further as your alk is the top end. Any further alk increase can bring your tank and its contents to a dangerous level. In fact at 11.2, I'm most uncomfortable for you. I'll leave everything as it is until it drops back to about dKH 8.

Best

• SRC Member

Because while they are related, it doesn't mean they are the same. :blink::unsure::huh:

Your Alk measures the carbonates, which 'buffers' or cushions the rise and fall of your pH. The more carbonates you have, i.e. the more alk, the less volatile your pH will be as it 'buffers' the daily swing your tank pH will go thru.

Generally speaking, your pH will keep rising until late afternoon and then if falls to its lowest point just before dawn. Depending on what time of the day you test.

You may not have known, but the daily pH can swing from 7.8 to as high as 8.4... and these are generally acceptable durinal ranges. So pls tell us what time did you do the test? Is yours a test kit or are you using a calibrated pH meter?

A consistently low pH is almost always because of two things : a dirty tank or excess CO2(an ill ventilated room). Do you smoke where your tank room is? there are diff methods depending on weather you want a quickie raise or are you trying to hold it consistent.

[eidt]Oh and pls don't try to buffer further as your alk is the top end. Any further alk increase can bring your tank and its contents to a dangerous level. In fact at 11.2, I'm most uncomfortable for you. I'll leave everything as it is until it drops back to about dKH 8.

Best

i am using 2 brand of test kit also shows ard 7.5-7.8 and i just did one test ard 10am

i dun smoke and my room is quite well ventilated

really puzzled y my PH still so low

Is your tank heavily populated? What protein skimmer are you using? Coz discharges from fishes (esp. large fishes) and overfeeding can also cause high acid level in the tank water :huh:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Is your tank heavily populated? What protein skimmer are you using? Coz discharges from fishes (esp. large fishes) and overfeeding can also cause high acid level in the tank water :huh:

using weipro 2011 only, hmm i would say average populated

my nitrate is quite high thou at 50 plus but i have been changing water everyweek since then

• SRC Member

i think i know wats happening.... my CA is 660 plus!!

is this the cause? i have been changing water now, using marine environment salt....

• SRC Member
my nitrate is quite high thou at 50 plus

oh dear, what a mess. :o

Don't confused yourself further with Ca now.

A consistently low pH is almost always because of two things : a dirty tank or excess CO2

You've already correctly stated the reason for the low pH,... quoted above. Clean up your NO3, bring it down to as low as possible, and you will see your pH improve. 50 is way above limit.

Care to list your tank parameters. It may be possible that the salt you're using is causing this. If your SG is high, replace some water with clean fresh water by syphoning out as much dirt as possible.

• SRC Member

oh dear, what a mess. :o

Don't confused yourself further with Ca now.

You've already correctly stated the reason for the low pH,... quoted above. Clean up your NO3, bring it down to as low as possible, and you will see your pH improve. 50 is way above limit.

Care to list your tank parameters. It may be possible that the salt you're using is causing this. If your SG is high, replace some water with clean fresh water by syphoning out as much dirt as possible.

erm my parameters are NH 0.5, NO2 0, NO3 60+, CA 660, SG (dunno leh but its in the middle reading)

have changed about 10 - 20 % water for this week....

changed salt to marine environment from corallife

my skimmer not skimming now cuz i acc turned the valve yesterday, i thinking restarting again

Bro I suggest you invest in a more efficient protein skimmer... got a feeling you have too much things rotting/decaying in your tank... so no matter how much water you change... your NO3 will still remain high :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

my skimmer not skimming now cuz i acc turned the valve yesterday, i thinking restarting again

Bro seriously... this shows your skimmer is not working... a good skimmer can take away a lot of problems before they even turn into problems :lol: IMO 60+ NO3 is unacceptable. Sorry bro for the blunt words... but I think we shouldn't be political and beatin' round the bush... you need to do it step by step and getting a good skimmer could as well be your first step.