Power failure SMS using laptop

Hi

Currently i had done up an application that will send an SMS to a number in the event of power trip.

Working principle:

My application will monitor if the laptop AC power supply is on. In the event that the power is switch off, an SMS will be send through the internet to the recorded handphone number. Currently i'm using a free SMS internet service provided by www.smsdriver.com.

Next step i intend to work on is:

SMS when there are failure (things like water level too low, temperature, water leak ...)

There could be endless application. Along as the sensor is cheap.

Any one interested in this application? Maybe we can subscrible to an official SMS service together. Then work out the details.

thanks

• SRC Member

you might want to hook up a cheap UPS to your wireless/wired router....no point sending our SMS via the web if your router is down....:D

if your provider is any of the local provider, can hardcode a simple apps that will sent it via their website....and its free...;)

• SRC Member
Hi

Currently i had done up an application that will send an SMS to a number in the event of power trip.

Working principle:

My application will monitor if the laptop AC power supply is on. In the event that the power is switch off, an SMS will be send through the internet to the recorded handphone number. Currently i'm using a free SMS internet service provided by www.smsdriver.com.

Next step i intend to work on is:

SMS when there are failure (things like water level too low, temperature, water leak ...)

There could be endless application. Along as the sensor is cheap.

Any one interested in this application? Maybe we can subscrible to an official SMS service together. Then work out the details.

thanks

Wow... sound like a great invention on the way! Too my programming liao, so chim.... :P

you might want to hook up a cheap UPS to your wireless/wired router....no point sending our SMS via the web if your router is down....:D

if your provider is any of the local provider, can hardcode a simple apps that will sent it via their website....and its free...;)

opps forget router also no power...

Can use dial-up, more work to be done

any example apps that will sent SMS though website? the web one got an id key that always change. think that's how they protect them self and can sell this as a service.

• SRC Member

UPS quite cheap as you only need to sent it out once. For code, it think you might have to search the web a little.....something like XHTTP object if you using the .Net framework.....from what i know only singtel uses an id key....kind of trickly, but i remeber its quite badly protected. you could use the XHTTP object to get the key from the HTML FORM....

but then things might have already changed the last time i've check....:P

• SRC Member

Sorri I do not quite understand the main purpose of the first application. If there is a power failure, even if there is a SMS sent to the owner - what can the owner do but to wait for the power to restore? Unless it's onli his unit power trip, but still have to wait until owner reach home to restore the power. So in both cases, nothing can be done until the owner is back or power restored by PS.

Probably still best to have UPS.

• SRC Member
Sorri I do not quite understand the main purpose of the first application. If there is a power failure, even if there is a SMS sent to the owner - what can the owner do but to wait for the power to restore? Unless it's onli his unit power trip, but still have to wait until owner reach home to restore the power. So in both cases, nothing can be done until the owner is back or power restored by PS.

Probably still best to have UPS.

True.. I always wonder about that. Esp when they said they will now feel better when they travel but then again what can you do in a case of disaster? Have a sick feeling that your tank is not feeling good and can't do anything about it?

Why not just set up a bigger UPS and train someone in your family to check on the tank once in a while?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

think this is just different family got different problem.

for myself, only my wife and me stay in the flat. so no one to look after the tank when away. Consider if some thing happen, when myself or wife on OT...

For case of oversea, if got SMS, can ask someone to come to my flat to do some thing..

just different people different problem