Jervis' Percula 90

jervismun

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did any major incident happen recently ? why the sudden change in your LW behaviour ?

The only change I can think of is the lowering of temperature from 27ºC to 26ºC. Are they on mating season? My 2 shore gobies are also chasing each other... and the Algae Blenny is challenging both my Chevron and YT... haiz... dunno what happened ;)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

This guy is getting fat... he already doubled his size (within 5 months) ;)

A white spot on its tail... well... they come and go... but my Tangs can defend themselves :lol: Furthermore I am feeding them Dr. Bassler's ###### :)

post-34-1152462867.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Daisy-looking hitchiker... used to be a very small colony (a few polyps)... now thriving... but I expect my GSP to cover it in a month or two ;)

post-34-1152463061.jpg

• SRC Member
This guy is getting fat... he already doubled his size (within 5 months)  ;)

A white spot on its tail... well... they come and go... but my Tangs can defend themselves  :lol:  Furthermore I am feeding them Dr. Bassler's ######  :)

My BT (mini) is growing fat fat also :lol:

WOW... Dr. Bassler's ######, Bro u almost got the whole range of fish food in the market already :bow::bow::bow:

WOW... Dr. Bassler's ######, Bro u almost got the whole range of fish food in the market already :bow::bow::bow:

Hahaha... thanks to your Henry's Mix to complete the range :lol::lol::lol: I always believe in "you are what you eat"... so I will try my best to give my fishes/corals the best food available...

At least can still buy conveniently lah... no need to go catch myself... I still remember how my dad used to catch cockcroaches to feed his Arowana :sick::sick::sick:

bro ! try to save your clove poylp ( the daisy looking one ..) they look great in a huge colony ... too bad mine died in the crash ...

Emm... ok I will try to separate them further apart :lol:

oh ya ... bro i need advise from u ... how do i teach my fish to eat pellets ?

Hahaha... by not feeding them any other form of foods... starve them a bit... for 2 days maybe... then soak the pellets with delicious garlic... they will get so hungry they eat anything :lol::lol::lol: But don't do this to new fishes as they need to eat to stay healthy... so do it when u more or less settled with your stocking :lol:

Emm... sorta sound a bit cruel actually... and also, get some delicious pellets to entice them a bit, of all... I find my fishes react the most towards Ocean Nutrition Formula One and Two :D

• SRC Member

Bro Jervismun, wanna check with u, which brand of bacteria did u add when u do yr water change? I being using a US brand Class 1 Micro-organism bacteria (from MarineLife) for the last 6 mths... seem to be gd...but recently i used up already and MarineLife no longer carry this product.. so for the past mth, i am using back the Nutrafin bacteria...seem to have a detrimental effect... <_<

Bro Jervismun, wanna check with u, which brand of bacteria did u add when u do yr water change? I being using a US brand Class 1 Micro-organism bacteria (from MarineLife) for the last 6 mths... seem to be gd...but recently i used up already and MarineLife no longer carry this product.. so for the past mth, i am using back the Nutrafin bacteria...seem to have a detrimental effect... <_<

I don't add bacteria anymore :unsure: coz the daily dosage of Polyp Lab System Reef-resh is in fact a form of bacteria :) Can't really help you much on this... perhaps you wanna give Aquapharm Bacter Starter a try... make sure you deactivate your skimmer a few hours after adding in the tabs. They are pretty good IMO... and very affordable too.

• SRC Member
Let me share with you guys a little bit of my life outside reefing (inspired by bro Colinsoon)... this is a recent project completed by my company... we did a major revamping to the signage and wayfinding to the Night Safari Singapore... our scope of work is the design conceptualization and overseeing the implementation of the project, the fabrication is done by another alliance company :D

The pair of blue eyes will glow at night :lol: (my idea!)

you mean like this?

good job bro jervis!

haha... was there yesterday with the ipho people. pretty cool signage i hafta say...

post-34-1152584269.jpg

haha... was there yesterday with the ipho people. pretty cool signage i hafta say...

Hahaha... glad you like it... it took me a while to explain the concept to the Night Safari people ;)

Oh I heard about the Physics Olympiad on the news also... so how's Singapore doing?

I was doing some research on the internet and found the following to share with you guys:

SUBJECT:

Magnesium has a big impact on the rate of precipitation of calcium carbonate (a fact that has been confirmed by many researchers)... now how big is the impact?

EXPERIMENTS:

1) High carbonate = higher precipitation of calcium carbonate

2) No magnesium + natural calcium + elevated carbonate = precipitation of calcium carbonate in minutes

3) Natural magnesium + natural calcium + elevated carbonate = precipitation of calcium carbonate delayed to 13 to 20 hours

4) Double magnesium + natural calcium + elevated carbonate = precipitation of calcium carbonate delayed to 22 to 29 hours

5) Natural magnesium + natural calcium + natural carbonate = precipitation of calcium carbonate delayed to 750 hours (31 days)

Note: Experiments extracted from Stephen Spotte's Captive Seawater Fishes

CONCLUSION:

Magnesium, Calcium and Carbonate (aka Alkalinity measured in dKh) should be maintained at natural seawater level at all times. For example: If the Magnesium level is low (say 1000ppm instead of 1285ppm), no matter how much calcium or carbonate you dose into the tank... they will precipitate (disappear) within hours if not minutes... resulting in a total waste of money.

Important: Beware when dosing limewater (kalkwasser) as it is a much complex process and understanding than just connecting it to our water top-up ;)

Hi experienced reefers out there, I have the following scenario:

1) Low Magnesium - 1200ppm

2) Low Carbonate - 6.4dKH

3) Low Calcium - 350mg/L

Say if I have already bought the necessary additives to bring up all 3 to acceptable levels using Salifert Mg Powder, KH+PH Buffer & Coral Calcium... which component should I focus in raising first?

Got a feeling I should focus in bring up the Carbonate to around 8dKH first (achievable in day 1)... then bring up Magnesium and Calcium simultaneously... daily dosing as follows:

Magnesium: Daily increment of 100ppm (10 measuring beakers) - takes around 10 days to reach 1300ppm

Calcium: Daily increment of 26.7mg/L (50ml dose) - takes 4 days

Should I focus on Magnesium first, then Calcium?

What you guys think?

I believe kH then Mag then calcium

1 tip I got from a fellow reefer,

For kH get Bicarbonate of soda from supermarket

For magnesium get Epson salt from pharmacy

Saves u $$$$

Thanks bro... from what I read... dosing EPSOM may not be as straight-forward and a lot more understanding is required before I dare to attempt it... really... the last thing I want is to do another round of major water change ;)

• SRC Member
I was doing some research on the internet and found the following to share with you guys:

SUBJECT:

Magnesium has a big impact on the rate of precipitation of calcium carbonate (a fact that has been confirmed by many researchers)... now how big is the impact?

EXPERIMENTS:

1) High carbonate = higher precipitation of calcium carbonate

2) No magnesium + natural calcium + elevated carbonate = precipitation of calcium carbonate in minutes

3) Natural magnesium + natural calcium + elevated carbonate = precipitation of calcium carbonate delayed to 13 to 20 hours

4) Double magnesium + natural calcium + elevated carbonate = precipitation of calcium carbonate delayed to 22 to 29 hours

5) Natural magnesium + natural calcium + natural carbonate = precipitation of calcium carbonate delayed to 750 hours (31 days)

Note: Experiments extracted from Stephen Spotte's Captive Seawater Fishes

CONCLUSION:

Magnesium, Calcium and Carbonate (aka Alkalinity measured in dKh) should be maintained at natural seawater level at all times. For example: If the Magnesium level is low (say 1000ppm instead of 1285ppm), no matter how much calcium or carbonate you dose into the tank... they will precipitate (disappear) within hours if not minutes... resulting in a total waste of money.

Important: Beware when dosing limewater (kalkwasser) as it is a much complex process and understanding than just connecting it to our water top-up  ;)

Well, when they say low Mg, it means real low... like somewhere in the region of 200 PPM. 1000 isn't low enough. Try it as see if you get precipitation. Its not so easy, not for you at least, not when your ions haven't reached anywhere near saturation levels. Don't forget pH also plays a big role before ppt takes place, and heat in next in line, then followed by a whole series of other SW ions available.

Is Mg impt.? Yes, but most times it gets overblown. I've gone with 1080 and nothings happens... :).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hitting at you. Only to say by all means go strive for NSW levels, its healthy, but when you plong down such data, its great if its goes complete.... otherwise, it just gets passed on wrongly. :)

and yes, I'll bump up Mg first followed by CO3 then Ca. I won't do Mg and Ca on the same day.... unless you know what makes up the Salifert's Mg. Do check your Sg all the time... expect to see it go up during the topup.

best to you.

and yes, I'll bump up Mg first followed by CO3 then Ca. I won't do Mg and Ca on the same day.... unless you know what makes up the Salifert's Mg. Do check your Sg all the time... expect to see it go up during the topup.

Ok I will do as suggested by you and bro Jamomatt... actually my Mg is 1200 (tested last night using Tropic Marin test kit)... so shouldn't be too hard bringing it up to 1300 level :)

EPSOM salt contain sulphur. It could be solved by weekly water changes in the tank.

Thanks bro... but right now... I don't want to introduce something that will create new problems... bought a tub of Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium to try out... will start dosing later tonight once my KH is back on track... if everything goes well, my KH should be 8ºKH tonight... then can start dosing Magnesium to rise 20ppm per day :lol: alongside with 10% water change this weekend... this hobby really knows how to keep us occupied :lol::lol::lol: That's why... coupled with SRC... this is the greatest hobby on earth :)

While fixing my water conditions... will do more research and reading... bought a new mag today :)

post-34-1152618040.jpg

Wow! The magazine is not bad... the photographs are very very professionally taken (lots of close-ups) the printing quality is good and every page is glossed (haha... when it comes to identifying printing/paper quality... trust me). The advertisements are also very fun to look at... extremely updated with all the new products/happenings in the U.S.

Will update you guys on the content later... will read through it... oh there's a section for beginners also :lol: