taMinG dE shReW

• SRC Member

:erm::erm: hi.. i need some help

i understand that damsels are superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (with a capital 'S') territorial but i have problem introducing new fish to my tank!!!!! anyone has the experience of taming their damsels? my 4 damsels are pretty determined to kill all new fish that is introed to the tank. i have difficulties handling them yet not willing to resort to kill them.

pleAse heLp!!!!~~~~~~

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

Damsels can be tamed by putting them in the company of lionfish, triggerfish and small barracudas.

Their territorial instinct will be suppressed with the survival instinct.

:D

I'm sorry but these devils should be fried in oil. Joking! :lol:

• SRC Member

The bad thing about damsels is that even when you give for free + free delivery, there's few takers. Try asking for people with lionfish, anglers, snappers.

Unless, you want to be SRC's only damsel expert, the only way you can put in other fish is to get them out.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

:idea: This might be a stupid idea but it may work, nothing to lose right?

Relocate the damsel/s to another tank/location(Tub?). Rescape your tank. Introduce new fish/es, after sometime(let your new fishes settle in 1st) then follow by the mafia(damsel). May work, maybe not? but the idea is to get the mafia to be confuse by the re aquascape. Then let other fishes settle in there territory b4 the mafia are let back into the tank!

If it work, please post a follow up thanks?! :thanks:

• SRC Member

Relocate the damsel/s to another tank/location(Tub?). Rescape your tank. Introduce new fish/es, after sometime(let your new fishes settle in 1st) then follow by the mafia(damsel). May work, maybe not? but the idea is to get the mafia to be confuse by the re aquascape. Then let other fishes settle in there territory b4 the mafia are let back into the tank!

nd to have another tank & must re-cycle it again.... :erm::erm:

• SRC Member

:rolleyes: honestly i DID try to reshuffle the rocks a little when the newbie is introed into tank, hoping to confuse them a little...keekkeek... BUT they are too clever... after hiding away from sight while i was relocating the rocks they emerged and starting darting at the new fish again!!! :blink:

well.... lucky my bicolour pseudochromis fake dead and just hide between an empty turbo shell and some live rocks and escaped death..... if my damers, opps!, damsels decided to leave it alone after 2 days (that is, if my bicolour is still alive!!!!) den i would just let nature takes its course. otherwise, might consider setting up another tub for the damsels. well, at least put them in the tub for 2 hours or so just to "tame" them a little *keep my fingers crossed!!!!!!!

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• SRC Member

damsels in the open sea are aggressive too.i experience that during my dive at tioman where there are abundance of them.the funny thing about damsels is that they cannot wait for me to throw them bread(that i brought along for feeding session).other fishes wait but damsels jus came rushing tearing the bread out of my hand...

another way is maybe buying a small container and isolate it but still leaving it in the main tank.-like imprsioned,hehehe...let other fishes settle in and mark their territory first.afterwhich then introduce it back again..

my advise may work and may not...

• SRC Member

Hey, there are simpler solution to that.

You can never tame a Damsel fish. Only another Damselfish can tame another.

So introduce 10 more Damsel of the same species. You'll find each one of them well behave after that.

Anyone got Damsels to give away....

• SRC Member
Hey, there are simpler solution to that.

You can never tame a Damsel fish. Only another Damselfish can tame another.

So introduce 10 more Damsel of the same species. You'll find each one of them well behave after that.

Anyone got Damsels to give away....

<_< den perhaps i should be the damsel queen and study everything about damsel....idea idea....

• SRC Member

:idea::idea:

i've found an idea to tame the shrewwwwwwws in my tank, you may like to consider it and give me your comments...

as my uncle's tank is yet to complete the cycle, i have asked my cousin to bring over the last survivor - a common clown of about 3 inches..... (ok ok, i know he shouldn't add any livestocks into the tank when it's still cycling. but the harm has already been done and the other fishes have died except for this sole survivor). so i asked if i can help to house it in my tank for the time being.

as my four shrews are between 3/4" to 1 1/4" this 3" clown looks like a monster among them. immediately they are tamed and left my poor bicolour alone... my bicolour still alive but scared out of its wits and hiding under my oyster shell almost all the time. forgot that it's a shy one and it's my negligence to place them in an aggressive tank like mine.

perhaps whoever needs help can try to place a monster fish into your tank to tame your damsels for a few days after your newbie is being introed. this may spare the newbie from being hurt by the damsels.... :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

the only way i find is not to introduce any of these terrorfish in the first place, have only 1 or have a lot, them they preoccupied with each other, they dont terrorise other inhabitants.

i tried all 3 ways and only one works.......NO TERRORFISH AT ALL!!!!!!! :lol::lol: