ATI Protein Skimmer?!?

jervismun

Hi guys

Saw this ATI Bubble Master at a LFS... they brought in 2 pieces from Germany to test... they got one running under their main display tank... the smaller version ATI Bubble Twister M is still brand new... I am thinking of using it for my upcoming project.

What you guys think about the idea of testing out a new product by ATI? I don't even have the price yet ;) so dunno if I should commit or not...

As this product has not been launch in the US... there is only very limited resources out there (mainly German)...

Any form of comments/views/warnings/encouragements is very much welcomed :bow::bow::bow:

Jervis (the Guinea Pig)

post-17-1153935660.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Hi Jervis:

When you were teasing us with the "parts" shots earlier:D .

It does resemble the "Bubble King" from Royal Exclusive.

From what I know and read, this unit retail about 500 euros in Germany (about 1/3 the price of the smallest Bubble King skimmer).

As all know, the factor that enable the Bubble King to kick the crap out of the water is the work horse of the skimmer - The Red Dragon pump.

Hence, probably ATI is trying to cater to the market to make it more affortable with this "lookalike" without the heafty price to pay for a Bubble King. Another thing to note is also it's propeller. Something really different use to produce the micro bubble.

It could be a new "weapon" use to counter the cons of not running a Red Dragon pump.

Definately a new exciting piece of equipment in the already confusing skimmer market. Since it's 1/3 price less of the Bubble King, anticipate that it might have the 1/3 performance of the presuccesor :fear:

Again, never try, dunno.

Take one and fire, and all will know :D

My 2 cent.

• SRC Member

I have some concern with the impeller. Seems like it may trap dirts easily and not sure of the wear and tear as compared to other needle wheel impeller!

47499a54c43adeeb59368125f7c1f794.jpg

I think the ATI Bubble Master is running on Eheim 1260 and as wht bro kalkwasser mentioned, u may wanna chg the pump to a red dragon! ;)

• SRC Member

Some similarity there from BK judging from the pic that you post. Performance wide some webby review that needle whell technology wins hands down to any other type of skimmer. (Except may be Majezzi spray injection which wasn't in the review)

lyz77:

At the speed it's going. It can cut the particles down to size which is exactly why it's design like that. But this is the first time I see needlewheel that's design this way though.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

Thanks bro Lyz77 for the closeup pix... I've seen it in real life and it does look a bit "crappy" but according to all those German forum (badly translated by Yahoo) the modified Eheim pump is running on THREADWHEEL... a new form of NEEDLEWHEEL... there were a bit of debate regarding the two and it turn out to be THREADWHEEL being the clear future as the fineness of the MESH material is impossible to recreate using conventional NEEDLEWHEEL method/material.

There's actually a BUBBLE MASTER running at AquaMarin's main display tank and the candy floss looks good... if the BM is only 1/3 of the smallest Bubble King, then perhaps this will be the next big thing in the market... :lol:

I will have to wait for a couple of weeks before I can really test this guy... so I'll observe the BM @ AM for the moment :heh:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

In these case, random "chopping" would definitely gives an irregular bubble size unless it's a re-circulating skimmer.

In skimming technology, a good skimmer works on the principle of having extra/ ultra fine bubbles not irregular size bubbles to product good result on skimming.

In these case, random "chopping" would definitely gives an irregular bubble size unless it's a re-circulating skimmer.

In skimming technology, a good skimmer works on the principle of having extra/ ultra fine bubbles not irregular size bubbles to product good result on skimming.

Bro Neokn as you are more pro in terms of technical... are you suggesting that the THREADWHEEL is doing random "chopping" and create irregular bubble sizes?

Please note that this is not a product review, I started this thread for discussion purpose, therefore both positive & negative (even sitting-on-the-fence) comments are appreciated :lol:

As this is a new technology (for Singapore at least)... there are much more to explore... much much more understanding and research to be done (unfortunately mostly in German <_< )

• SRC Member

Bro Neokn as you are more pro in terms of technical... are you suggesting that the THREADWHEEL is doing random "chopping" and create irregular bubble sizes?

Please note that this is not a product review, I started this thread for discussion purpose, therefore both positive & negative (even sitting-on-the-fence) comments are appreciated :lol:

As this is a new technology (for Singapore at least)... there are much more to explore... much much more understanding and research to be done (unfortunately mostly in German <_< )

Jervis,

I'm not that technical incline but just writing out what I had read before when I started the hobby 2 yrs ago.

As I have said earlier, this is the first Thread wheel technology skimmer that I have seen. I reckon that both Thread Wheel and Needle Wheel works on the same principle of "Chopping" the water thus generating fine bubbles which will be purge out the nutrient from the water.

Visually, the thread is uneven thus the assumption that the bubbles will be irregular. While Needle wheel on the other hand is even (Pls refer to attachment). The reason why I Needle wheel works best as a re-circulating skimmer is because the fine bubbles can be further reduce to extra/ ultra fine bubbles. But BK have proved everyone wrong in they skimmer design (This is the reason why I say there's similarity in the design)

BKinternaltitaniumwheel-1.jpg

BKinternal300-1.jpg

Picture courtesy of www.captiveoceans.com

ATI might have found/ R&R a better option of Needle Thread which is the Thread Wheel, I don't know. Maybe I drop by AM to check out the ATI unit myself. Or maybe can ask Dr. Evil to lend his BK to AM to run test. :evil::evil:

Haha... that's a good one... DE can help or not? But again we shouldn't compare products of such huge difference in terms of price lah... a Bubble King is 3 times the price of the ATI Bubble Master... it's like comparing a BMW with a Hyundai :lol:

With my kinda budget... dun think I can have too much choices... and BK is definitely beyond my reach... can't even afford the RD pump :lol::lol::lol:

Guys... do share with me your thoughts... although I already ordered the ATI, I think I can still cancel if indications are it's gonna be a white elephant... ;)

It's embarassing to buy something and sell it off 1 month later (and it happens to me all the time) <_<

most reefers here will not have an idea how the ATI skimmer works. .

why dun u go zeovit.com or reefcentral. I believe they have quite a few articles concerning the ATI skimmer. :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

most reefers here will not have an idea how the ATI skimmer works. .

why dun u go zeovit.com or reefcentral. I believe they have quite a few articles concerning the ATI skimmer. :D

I tried Reef Central... as the product has not reach the US shores... they have no idea also... they ask me to buy the product and do a review ;););)

• SRC Member
With my kinda budget... dun think I can have too much choices... and BK is definitely beyond my reach... can't even afford the RD pump :lol::lol::lol:

Guys... do share with me your thoughts... although I already ordered the ATI, I think I can still cancel if indications are it's gonna be a white elephant... ;)

It's embarassing to buy something and sell it off 1 month later (and it happens to me all the time) <_<

U said it urself, u tend to buy stuff and sell it a month later...so perhaps the first thing u need to do is curb your compulsive nature.

Take a step back and do more research before commiting to something. Understandable that you're doing your research now...but it defeats the purpose if you've already committed to the thing ur researching on.

So my 2 cents....go cancel the order right now and continue the good work you've been doing on the researching....before it's too late and you're stuck with the skimmer when it arrives... ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

I'm upgrading to a 4 1/2 feet!!! Now I wonder if the ATI Baby can take the bio-load :lol:

Guys check this out. Frome Zeovit.comATI Skimmer

Thanks bro Iceman

Very good read... I am very convinced by it lor :lol:

i was thinking if its possible to copy the technology.

The nylon looks prety simple. . even looks like my carpet at the front foor. :lol:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

i was thinking if its possible to copy the technology.

The nylon looks prety simple. . even looks like my carpet at the front foor. :lol:

You can try bro... I got a feeling ATI might patent it already... or at least patent pending... :lol:

After reading the Zeovit.com review... I am very convinced by this skimmer... will confirm with AquaMarin right away... let me sms them... now hopefully it is not too expensive :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

:o Wow, juz look at the 'ice cream' foam produced by the ATI Twister (twister is smaller model then bubble master )...yum yum :yeah:

Footprint: 22 x 33 cm (white plate on skimmer bottom), 49 cm height, 20 cm skimmer diameter

I think I may consider upgrading to this skimmer soon. ;)

post-17-1154012278.jpg

You know what... some Germans rank this skimmer 2nd in the market... 1st being BK lah... I guess I'll settle for no. 2 for the time being :)

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member
:o Wow, juz look at the 'ice cream' foam produced by the ATI Twister (twister is smaller model then bubble master )...yum yum :yeah:

Footprint: 22 x 33 cm (white plate on skimmer bottom), 49 cm height, 20 cm skimmer diameter

I think I may consider upgrading to this skimmer soon.  ;)

Yupe I'm getting the ATI Twister M for my new tank too... just confirmed... gonna be 4 1/2' by 2 by 2 with a huge sump below :lol:

Anyone seen the Bubble Master @ AquaMarin yet? Will drop by tomorrow... was there the first day, second day... so tomorrow is fourth day... maybe take some pix also :lol::lol::lol: You think they allow that? :)

You know what... some Germans rank this skimmer 2nd in the market... 1st being BK lah... I guess I'll settle for no. 2 for the time being :)

Every brand of skimmer have their own supporters.

Bascially there are people who swore by:

Beckett

Deltec

ASM

BK (obviously)

HnS

Its a matter of preference.

p.s. the picture does looks convincing but lets not jump into conclusions just because some germans said its the best. :)

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor: