ways of removing high nitrate

stevenmukoo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't you think "play" with your tank and its equipment is the fun part of the hobby? hehe... whatever your decision... all the best bro :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

u can try diy the sulphur based denitrator ..... i understand a few bros n sis here hv done taht n proven to work... i m toying with the idea as well

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

You can try to make a simple anarobic area with some bottles your biohome and some black filter gauss.

make some small holes in mineral water bottles maybe 2mm in diameter, put you bio home in it and wrap it in black gauss to block the lights.

see diagram below

post-7-1154059925.jpg

• SRC Member
You can try to make a simple anarobic area with some bottles your biohome and some black filter gauss.

make some small holes in mineral water bottles maybe 2mm in diameter, put you bio home in it and wrap it in black gauss to block the lights.

see diagram below

Great idea. Definitely worth a try.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

Hi,

I'm using a DIY coil denitrator as TntR2 mention.

I've read about in the web b4 building a unit.

My LPS tank used to 20~50ppm N03.

After running this unit, I see it drops to 5~10ppm.

Pls note this drop happens after ~3weeks.

Besides this, low bio-load with control feeding, skimmimg, tank cleaning, monthly ~10% water change etc helps to control NO3 and PO4.

I'm still learning since setting my reef tank last year :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents :angel:

My LPS tank used to 20~50ppm N03.

After running this unit, I see it drops to 5~10ppm.

Pls note this drop happens after ~3weeks.

Very effective leh... mind showing us a pix of your creation :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

see diagram below

can dun want make some small holes in mineral water bottles?? do u think if it is ok juz without the bottle cap ???

Saw a customer doing it for a 12foot tank in china sps and stuff.

he had holes in the bottles but only like 20 or so no bottle caps

and he had the sump like filled with them. Damn, chinese plastic dealers are rich.

Anyway seemed to work for him.

Sorry bro Jervismun & Stevenmukoo on my delay reply about the DIY denitrator.

Before I decide to make one, I must ensure it works for my 5ft LPS tank.

So this unit is 5ft tall 6" diameter UPVC pipe seal with 6" end caps.

Basically it consists of :

- ID 3/8" pvc tubing wind around external dia 4" 5ft length UPVC pipe.

- bio balls and 'hard' filter mess inside the 4" dia pipe

- 2 Ehiem 12/16 to 9/12 connector attached on top 6" end cap

- ID 3/8" pvc tubing connecting to its inlet/outlet Ehiem connector

- Ehiem compact 1002 pump

- Ehiem 12/16 ball valve at outlet tubing to control flow to ~0.5 litre/min(estimated).

NO3 level(using Redsea kit) is ~20ppm after running for ~3wks.

After reading an article about adding suger to some US brand Denitrator,

I decided to add(5ml suger melt in 20ml water est.) into my unit by connecting a small tubing to a syringe.

Outlet tubing is then directed to inlet of Ehim pump.

I notice a drop in NO3 to 5~10ppm after 1~2 weeks.

With this drop in NO3, I must say this DIY coil denitrator with added suger :peace: helps in reducing NO3 in my tank.

Hope the above provides a clearer ideal.

but i thou that there are some articules that mention , plastic is harmless in the long run isnt it for marine ...? hmm...??

saw another wed about this bio home .. it mention that canister still work best as a home for bio home.... <_<

Let me clarify:

Biohome (or any other bacteria housing) can be used to cultivate both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. If it is aerobic bateria you desire, then putting them in a canister filter will do the job well. Aerobic bacteria is relatively easy to cultivate, that's why many reefers throw bags of biohome into their sump tank (whenever there is sufficient water movement).

But if you want to use Biohome to cultivate anaerobic bacteria (to breakdown Nitrate to Nitrogen), then a canister filter is not desirable... unless you limit the flow rate so much (with T-off or something) it drips into the canister... well it might work you know... it might :lol:

Emm... if not using the pump, I don't think gravity will force the water to move from (from left) second chamber to the third via the top :unsure: or is it possible?

post-7-1154491045.jpg

it does seems possible. like the design of hang on back refugium.

with pump water flow faster that's all.

since you are the best product review man around :lol: . maybe you try and do a review for all :P

Cos thanks to your review..... i've bought so many stuff.... :pinch:

aquatronica7na.gif

it does seems possible. like the design of hang on back refugium.

with pump water flow faster that's all.

since you are the best product review man around :lol: . maybe you try and do a review for all :P

Cos thanks to your review..... i've bought so many stuff.... :pinch: