ways of removing high nitrate

stevenmukoo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no one suggested having a refugium to pull out nitrates biologically? I don't think it's as effective as chemical means but it's cheaper, safer and renewable...

refugium like veri messy le..... tats wat i feel.....

refugium like veri messy le..... tats wat i feel.....

Refugium can be very interesting also... and a good place to cultivate lots of foodsource for your LS... but you do need a relatively large Refugium to be able to the job effectively, those small chamber with a few colonies of macroalgaes will not do the job... say for a 200 gallons main tank. That's one of the draw back... precious cabinet space.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Hi,

after reading tips and priceless information from you guys, I like to share the challenges that I'm facing now. Some of the information that you guys given which I can apply on my current aquarium setting hopefully will help. I wish you guys who facing the same challenges too will achieve your goals.

Just basic imformation

Currently my nitrate too at very high level although a week after 60% water change, filter media in sump changed, boi balls washed. I'm using DIY coil denitator and had been using it for more than 3 months. No changes in the nitrate level.

What I learned here is the denitator unit had to be in dark place and I just covered the unit with black plastic bag and layers of newpaper - hope it will work in 2-3 weeks times or more.

My phospate level too at a very high side. Looking for another 2 weeks times to do another water change again. Planned to do 30% water change.

Hope it can lower the nitrate and phospate level in my tank.

Thank You to all.

:bow:

I just want to add that:

For a DIY Denitrator to work properly, you need water circulation within the chamber. It is crucial for the even distribution of nutrients within the chamber, if not, the water discharge (1 to 2 drops per sec) will smell horrible (bad egg smell). A balanced denitrator (with internal water circulation) will minimize the bad egg smell... :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

hi there bro kueytoc,

could you pls tell us morea bout your experience with nitratelock? has it discernably reduced nitrates in your system?

i DIY-ed a denitrator about four months back, using coils of airline tubing within an unused FR. basically, i bought two bags of airline tubings- 100m worth. inserted the airline tubing through the input pipe on the FR, coiled and coiled the afternoon away and finally managed to squeeze about 80m of tubing inside the FR, then threaded the exit through the output pipe of the FR. i then attached the inflow line of the tubing to a Tee from a dedicated pump that serves my FR and attached a small control valve at the exit of the now accomplished denitrator. the premise behind the denitrating capability of such a set up is that with sufficient length of airline tubing, water that is oxygen rich enters the denitrator, and for the first 50m or so, nitrifying bacterias will predominate, and as the water flows through this first 50m or so, the nitrifying bacteria will consume most of the oxygen creating an anoxic or low oxygen environment for the remaining 30m or so of airline tubing allowing denitrifying bacterias to proliferate. it took about two months for my denitrator effluent to read undetectable nitrates from the previously measured 0.05ppm so though its not much, its at least giving some effect.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

Refugium can be very interesting also... and a good place to cultivate lots of foodsource for your LS... but you do need a relatively large Refugium to be able to the job effectively, those small chamber with a few colonies of macroalgaes will not do the job... say for a 200 gallons main tank. That's one of the draw back... precious cabinet space.

hm.. any idea what ratio of tank size to refugium size would be ideal?

• SRC Member
:D Save the hassles...try PURA NITRATELOCK...you won't regret it !  :yeah:  It's the PROFESSIONAL choice. :whistle;)

Can testify for this product. But if your NO3 is sky rocking high like my, it's easiler to get AZ-NO3 to reduce fast or water change. This product can and will control your NO3 level. For best result, you need to run through FR rather then just placing at the overflow.

Cheers. Above is MHO.

I'll might try out the HK DIY method with "黑波白波"

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member
hi there bro kueytoc,

could you pls tell us morea bout your experience with nitratelock? has it discernably reduced nitrates in your system?

i DIY-ed a denitrator about four months back, using coils of airline tubing within an unused FR. basically, i bought two bags of airline tubings- 100m worth. inserted the airline tubing through the input pipe on the FR, coiled and coiled the afternoon away and finally managed to squeeze about 80m of tubing inside the FR, then threaded the exit through the output pipe of the FR. i then attached the inflow line of the tubing to a Tee from a dedicated pump that serves my FR and attached a small control valve at the exit of the now accomplished denitrator. the premise behind the denitrating capability of such a set up is that with sufficient length of airline tubing, water that is oxygen rich enters the denitrator, and for the first 50m or so, nitrifying bacterias will predominate, and as the water flows through this first 50m or so, the nitrifying bacteria will consume most of the oxygen creating an anoxic or low oxygen environment for the remaining 30m or so of airline tubing allowing denitrifying bacterias to proliferate. it took about two months for my denitrator effluent to read undetectable nitrates from the previously measured 0.05ppm so though its not much, its at least giving some effect.

cheers,

ian

Very interesting Ian, any pictures? TIA.

• SRC Member
hi there bro kueytoc,

cheers,

ian

:D I've started using the product for 2 weeks liao & my nitrate readings are negligible. :yeah: One of the benefits of this product is that it can be re-usable for about 20 times which means substantial cost savings$$$ in the long run. :rolleyes::P

• SRC Member
if you want fast effect, dosing sugar with a working skimmer will reduce the NO3 in few days. but it will rise again whenever you stop. some friends tried and proven it works :)

Yes, the 'sugar method' works for me. It easy, low cost , very fast action but come with some limitation i.e changes to your PH if you don't proceed it carefully.

Try to search for 'sugar method' ; thinks is initiated by user nick 'lizard'. :D

Guys

Here's my latest NO3 reading... 2 divided by 10 (side reading) = 0.2 mg/l. Was 2.5 mg/l a week ago... I believe the introduction of a more efficient protein skimmer helped in bringing NO3 to such low amount (almost undetectable). As the protein skimmer extracts more wastes... there will be lesser left in the water to form A N N.

Therefore, upgrading to a more efficient protein skimmer is also a very effective way of removing Nitrate... even more effective than any denitrator as we are tackling the problem at its roots... :)

post-7-1154699948.jpg

• SRC Member

My NO3 have been always high but due to my extra effort and diligent of changing h20 regularly, now it drop to 10ppm. It maintain at that level since last month. Never add any No3 remover or sugar :lol: ......jz change h20.

Now all fishes smiling and corals blooming!!!! I CAN SIT BACK AND RELAX WATCHING MY HOBBY :peace:B)