T5 life span

minireef

• SRC Member

On the average how often we must change our T5?

MH or T5 have a longer life span.

Trying to weigh which is cheaper to operate, assuming both are doing the job.

My Reefing Mission:-

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.

Hi there

Some reefers claimed ATI T5 tubes can last up to 2 years... I'll put a bit of discount there... maybe 1 1/2 years. If operating cost is the main deciding factor, T5 will be the best choice. It saves energy on both the running of the lighting unit and less load to the chiller. You can also play with various lighting effects and colouration with various T5 tubes in the market. But one thing to consider is the absence of the "shimmering effect" only MH can achieve... after running T5 for 3 months... I still miss the shimmers :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

i think that will really depends on what brand of bulbs u r using.

different bulbs different lifespan.

like ATI T5 , can be more than one year, but some other brands (china) perhaps just 6 months.

same goes for MH

cant decide on MH or T5 ? well they have their own pros n cons. u have to weight them urself :P

>>

• SRC Member

the duration for changing light tube also depends on the time you "on" them. normally blue light will be turned on longer than white lights...

different reefers also has different lighting hours, 10 hours white for some, 12 hours for some, 14 hours for some, etc. thus the duration of lighting will have to be depend on that as well... :D:D:D

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014