ATI Threadwheel

acontia

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro what's kunning actually? It's radioactive? Toxic?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

jervis

kunning is the fish usually u get when u order Nasi Lemak.

no lah.... not really toxic or radioactive, it just screws up your water parameter big time.

update...

yesterday i went to increase the diameter of the neck again. this time from 50mm to 60mm, the height of the cup and riser also went up an inch. this morning the foam looked very dry, but it's what i prefer. i don't like wet skimmate, to me the dryer the better... just like melted chocolate....MMMmMmmm. i believe it will never skim as dry as my beckett skimmer with iwaki md55r will, but for this type of gentle skimming, u can't complain too much.

will post pics later.

• SRC Member
PICT0591RS.jpg

bRO acontia;

How do you actually drill the hole of the impeller blade, the middle one? I have some idea if I can drill the hole... :D

Thanks in advance

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

this would be the new cup with the taller and wider riser.

height added 1inch, diameter of riser added 10mm. from50mm to 60mm.

PICT0774-1.jpg

PICT0775-1.jpg

alright all u guys..... after getting some Q about the construction of this NW, this will be the pics that will help those who wish to DIY. and here goes...

PICT0776.jpg

this is after cutting out the paddles

PICT0777.jpg

this would be left after trimming paddles

pict0778.jpg

here's the constrction of the disc.

use hole saw cut out a disc from 3mm pvc sheet. acrylic also can but are not as good as pvc. got money can use polycarbonate/lexan.

PICT0779.jpg

mark the catch of the impeller with marker.

using smaller drill bit drill out the catch for the disc.

the catch/lock is to prevent the disc from spinning.

PICT0781.jpg

this is what u'll get after drilling. i've made spare holes, u don't need to make so many.

PICT0780.jpg

next.

this is how it looks like fitted into the impeller.

PICT0782.jpg

drill holes for the cable ties.

PICT0783.jpg

here's the Mat. i use 3 pcs to sandwich together.

PICT0784.jpg

PICT0785.jpg

next would be to cable tie them. use the smallest u can find.

PICT0786.jpg

PICT0787.jpg

make sure cable ties are secure.

after that, u can trim out the excess mat and ties.

PICT0788-1.jpg

a view from the back of impeller

PICT0789.jpg

the end product.

pict0790.jpg.

guys.... u will need to learn how to make a good pre-intake venturi to get air to suck into impellers. that u will need to do more homework. without the venturi u might not get enough air intake, cuz no change of pressure on the air intakes.

Very impressive bro... I've seen the ATI Threadwheel in person and yours surely looks like it :lol: It's amazing how easy it is to reproduce... much simpler than producing a Needlewheel for sure <_<

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

jervis

that's right. if u try to make brush/pin wheels, there's many more steps to take. this can really challenge those other NW in the market, everybody can have an inexpensive NW skimmer instead of paying an arm N leg just to get a 'branded' NW. the Mat might be a little harder to find but it's available in the market, with some patence it's no problem to find.

jervis

that's right. if u try to make brush/pin wheels, there's many more steps to take. this can really challenge those other NW in the market, everybody can have an inexpensive NW skimmer instead of paying an arm N leg just to get a 'branded' NW. the Mat might be a little harder to find but it's available in the market, with some patence it's no problem to find.

Emm... this will only be applicable to DIY units I believe... I don't think any other brand would dare to produce this Threadwheel impeller created by ATI :eyebrow: But it does make people like Eheim and Aquabee (even Red Dragon) to relook at the Needlewheel technology... if it is as efficient, as cost effective to reproduce. If not, they will probably develop another method to counter pretty soon :)

Any idea how we can come up with an even simpler impeller that will deliver that kinda microbubbles?

:idea::idea::idea:

leochngyh

i've not ran it long enough to know how badly, stuff would get trap.

but i'll say that it's not going to be that bad unless u have lots of algae in the same compartment. small particles would just go through, should not be an issue, although regular maintenace would not hurt and might maintain the efficency. the quality of the bubble size more then make up for it.... IMO

if one day, u really think that it's beyond hope for cleanning....

just cut the cable ties and take them apart for major scrubbing, then cable tie the damn thing back again or better still change out the Mat.

leochngyh

i've not ran it long enough to know how badly, stuff would get trap.

but i'll say that it's not going to be that bad unless u have lots of algae in the same compartment. small particles would just go through, should not be an issue, although regular maintenace would not hurt and might maintain the efficency. the quality of the bubble size more then make up for it.... IMO

if one day, u really think that it's beyond hope for cleanning....

just cut the cable ties and take them apart for major scrubbing, then cable tie the damn thing back again or better still change out the Mat.

Bro Acontia

Really like what you've done so far... I will be getting my setup ready within 2 to 3 weeks time, by then the ATI Bubble Master running on Eheim 1262 should already started foaming. Do drop by my office so that we can study it further :)

Jervis

i thought u had the ATI twister??

how come now u're talking about the ATI bubble master.

u didn't..........or did u? $$$$

like i said earlier in the thread..... this type of wheel will perform at it's best at higher powered or higher flow rated pumps, but yet won't draw as much wattage. Eheim 1262 will reep those surfactants out of Xsistant....cool it rhythms LOL

i would love to meet up with u for a date. oh sorry i mean appointment / tests.

i thought u had the ATI twister??

how come now u're talking about the ATI bubble master.

u didn't..........or did u? $$$$

like i said earlier in the thread..... this type of wheel will perform at it's best at higher powered or higher flow rated pumps, but yet won't draw as much wattage. Eheim 1262 will reep those surfactants out of Xsistant....cool it rhythms LOL

i would love to meet up with u for a date. oh sorry i mean appointment / tests.

I originally bought TwisterM, then decided to upgrade to Bubble Master 250 as my new tank keeps expanding from 2.5" to 4" (and beyond). Since AM is the one doing my tank also, they agreed to allow me upgrade to BM 250. I always believe in overskimming anyway.

Yes, let's meet up one day and try your creation out... but wiill have to wait till my new tank produces sufficient wastes to test your impellers properly.

hi all

it's been a few days since i updated anything.

skimmer is still running/skimming without any problems. gotten lazy to change the water as it might be getting to clean and nothing left to skim.

i've checked for visible damge both on the pump and impeller, and found nothing unusual. simply put....still good to go after more then a wk.

i've got another threadwheel now running in a fellow reefers tank and hope to get some update in the next few days. it's a threadwheel hybrid.

well...i thought that if theres so little resistant due to the thread, then it might not move lots of water, so by increasing the flow rate or adding more resistant to the wheel then it should give more water flow=more air and this isb what i did.

PICT0811.jpg

adding pins to the wheels to create more flow like the regular needlewheels, but not too many as to lose the reasons why the thread was used in the 1st place. i also added some cuts all round to help with some flow.

PICT0810.jpg

PICT0808.jpg

PICT0812.jpg

after some running on this wheel, i found that there were more turbulance in the upper part of the skimmer body. this could only mean that either theres more water flowing or more air ###### into pump. which is what i intended to get. i don't have a flow meter thats y can't give any numbers, but thats just what i see. if so, then a smaller pump can be used instead and no need to put in a huge pump in the sump which some reefer just don't have the luxury of having. again i don't have any numbers to prove anything just my own observation. u can decide for yourself or better still run test to prove me otherwise.

cheers

I think your discovery is wonderful!!! This is what I call product development :lol: Yes a smaller pump (lower wattage) will work well for the sump, the reefer and the environment :)

The latest ATI Bubble Master 250 already consumed too much power in my opinion.

They started with:

Eheim 1260 consuming 49W producing 2000 ltrs of air per hour

Right now:

Eheim 1262 consuming 80W producing 3000 ltrs of air per hour (sorta verified by AcidJazz's BM as his air flow meters shows a constant max at 2500 ltrs, I will try to get hold of a digital air flow meter).

Personally, I would love ATI to retain its original 49W BM. Probably can downgrade its ratings/capacity (as an option... call it Bubble Master 200 maybe) but it means so much savings in the long run.

Here's a quick calculation:

Previously: $7.50/month

Currently: $12.00/month

Difference per annum: $54.00

Difference in 3 years: $162.00

Lesser heat emission (lessening of chiller's load): Priceless :lol:

Please continue to develop the wheel... more economically viable and environmental friendly please... a Putlizer Prize in the waiting :P

Bro I may need your help in some DIY job... I am planning to replicate :fear: the Deltec MCE600 Hang-on Skimmer with a fellow reefer (producing 2 pieces for own use). I have a running MCE600 which is due to be handed over to another reefer end of next month.

Thinking of increasing the efficiency of the skimmer by introducing a Threadwheel instead. As the current MCE600 is using a Aquabee 2000 pump (consuming 19W, producing 300 ltrs of air). I got a feeling the Threadwheel technology can either allow us to use a smaller pump or product more air with the same Aquabee 2000. Also to tackle some of the issues the current MCE600 is facing...

If you are keen, we shall start work mid September :)

And if you want... we can product 3 pieces (limited edition) :D

jervis

thanx for encouragement.

well about the wattage drawn by both the 1260 and 1262 is just not correct in my opinion. the pump is rated at 65watts for 1260, that is if u were running with the regular impellers or paddle wheels. with less resistant from the thread it should be less then the given ratings on the pump 65watts or the 80watts from the 1262, i'm quite sure of that. i'm gonna go get those killawatt thingy that will give a reading on wattage drawn and also an air flow meter. can't take all this guessing anymore, so unproffessional. it's time to do things right.

$$$$$$$ need to dig some old thread/post here on where to get those dwyer airflow .......... anyone???

:lol::lol::lol:

something like this

i did this for a friend/reefer of mine about a month ago.

PICT0623.jpg

pict0660.jpg

PICT0664.jpg

PICT0687.jpg

PICT0690.jpg

PICT0691.jpg

PICT0693.jpg

PICT0761.jpg

this was a regulular needlewheel from aquamedic but i don't see why threadwheel won't work. there will be issues with suction of water and air. there might not be enough resistant from the thread to create the suck which i did ancounter during this mce style clone. the venturii is very VERY important in this design. it took me quite awhile to figure it out.

this clone has a bigger cup...so don't need to empty every 2 days. pump runs external....so no heat intro into tank. we leave in the tropics...heat will always be an issue. it's also a hang on skimmer. the hang on holders were not added in this pic cuz need to hang on the tank it's design for then glue those holders on to get perfect fit/position.