i just found a crab in my tank , what to do ?

if you had done your aquascaping and is satisfied with the results, just leave it lah. whats the point of tearing down your whole rockwork just to get at the crab.

but if it is tearing your heart out and causing you sleepless night and u dont mind the rescaping work then hunt the crab down i say!

Use to go crab hunting in the night but after awhile they just all disappear. During that period I add Dottyback to control them.

i scared dottyback fight with my other fishes .

i think if there is dotty back that i cannot have my cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs , correct me if i am wrong .

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

i scared dottyback fight with my other fishes .

i think if there is dotty back that i cannot have my cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs , correct me if i am wrong .

HAHAHA!!!!

Yes, all my shrimps disappear soon after my crab disappear.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

Do a night hunting if you want to catch the crab. Just last night, I caught one but the other one escaped. When the crab went out to look for food, I use a plastic tubing to press the crab against the rock and manually take it out.

Last time, I though the crab is ok (since it is small) but one night I saw one crab nipping the tail of my blue tang (you know blue tang used to sleep sideways under rock crevices making it an easy target) ang my bicolor blenny went MIA so no no for a crab.

Good luck for your crab hunting, I still need to catch the other one (hope the last one).

• SRC Member

IMO, if you are going into corals, especially SPS, it's better to remove them now....from all the stories I heard about crabs they tend to rearrange your corals and that is no good for the corals! :)

Also depending on whether you can identify the species of the crab you got in your tank, cos I believe some crabs are good. But for me, I play safe, I remove them immediately!!! :P