My minireef!

minireef

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the demolition work... can give me those nice Ikea clocks? :lol:

Welcome to the world of reefing... can see a nice tank in the making :P

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Minireef workstation can fit a 4 footer with some space to spare... :lol: Definitely a setup to watch closely... since mine also 4 footer and will setup around the same time as his :) Bro Minireef... let's work closely... help each other... learn from each other... as each setup is unique :lol: They all bear their owner's signature :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

bro minireef should name the tank 'wallstreet reef'

That's a very interesting concept bro... WallStreet Reef Tank... with lots of tall rockscapes... very little sand bed... maybe a Central Park somewhere :lol: And schools of Anthias and Chromis... then can see them "rush left rush right" :)

You can also build a huge Plasma/LCD screen as the backdrop of the tank so that you can watch the market as you watch your fishies :heh:

Jerv, for your great contribution to SRC. I'll leave one for you!

You want London, New York or Tokyo?

LONDON!!! :bow: Don't change the timing... I will keep it as London time forever :lol: Will put it at my office :)

• SRC Member

Soul, it will be a 4X2X2 in wall tank.

godz, the word wallstreet give me stress, that's why change to reef :D:D

Jerv, will pass you the clock when your tank is set up, ok?

My Reefing Mission:-

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.

This is my rough plan, suggestion welcome!

Pardon my crude drawing.

Bro... your plan doesn't look workable... you will either have a very high tank or a very low sump cabinet. Don't think water top up requires that much space... my new sump cabinet is 3ft high, barely sufficient as I have no idea what kinda toy I might introduce later... your low sump compartment will restrict you too much.

Since you have space on top, perhaps you want to consider moving your chiller on top of the tank (now that will involve some solid plumbing). You can have the refugium part of or next to the sump tank.

Hot air rises... so the hot air from the chiller will be not affect you too much :)

• SRC Member

Bro... your plan doesn't look workable... you will either have a very high tank or a very low sump cabinet. Don't think water top up requires that much space... my new sump cabinet is 3ft high, barely sufficient as I have no idea what kinda toy I might introduce later... your low sump compartment will restrict you too much.

Since you have space on top, perhaps you want to consider moving your chiller on top of the tank (now that will involve some solid plumbing). You can have the refugium part of or next to the sump tank.

Hot air rises... so the hot air from the chiller will be not affect you too much :)

I have thought about putting the chiller up, but just feel that it will be to heavy for maintainance. I will keep the suggestion open. When I start tearing down and if the false ceiling is ok, I will reconsider putting the chiller up.In fact the chiller on top was the original idea.

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.

Wah got overhang some more... nice!!! :D

how come part of the tank jutting out?

That's the beautiful thing about the design... but of course, that will only make the sump 6" narrower :( My original design also something like that... but due to practicality sake... abandoned all design elements ;)

The part that is supportted looks risky. Cause gravity will pulls on it. You may wanna change the design.

I think structurally it can be done, you see there's a brown slab beneath the glass tank? Actually can also try without the wooden slab beneath it, purely using glass, but that will increase the thickness of your glass (say 18mm).

From experience dealing with contractors, usually their first reaction is "not recommended" as they are lazy to crack their head and not willing to take risk. Talk to a few of them, find a contractor that has the same vision as you... or else you will end up having a standard looking tank just like any of us ;)

• SRC Member

The tank area is along the walkway leading to the rooms.

Why I need to jutt it out is because.

1, It give a 3D look.

2, It won't eats up to the walkway(at the expense of Sump)

3, You will have a little view of the tank from the entrance,living and dinning.

4, The "lanscape art frame" type is a bit too common, although it is nice.

5, The dept of the wall is only 18" so I need to borrow space from the walkway.

Fly, the protrution is only 5-6" and supported with a plywood below. The tank is "cantarlever" out with a changi struture.Thks for the concern.

post-34-1156560047.jpg