Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

Any update on the sump area?

How you bulit your plenium system?

I saw you using bioball for your sump, wont it one day become a nitrate factory like other reeffer here experienced?

I will update you guys more on the sump portion in 2 days time... once I fill up the tank with water... will also do a step by step update on how I setup the plenum and DSB.

As for the bioballs... I will use them initially to boost the bacteria colonization... however in the long run... I will remove them or replace with some other media (if necessary).

With such an oversized protein skimmer I will be running (5 times the recommended capacity), I believe that will reduce the chances of a Nitrate build-up... but I will still look into it as the tank matures :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the fast and clear reply :peace:

one more question :P

i seen your flushing system, is really a good idea, but find that the hole drilled is rather small. what if coraline aglea grow over and cover the holes? anyway to ensure the system will not chock in the future?

That is a very interesting and valid point... that's why I will have to do frequest high pressurized flushing by releasing the ball valve... hopefully this will reduce significantly (if not stop) the coralline algae from covering the holes.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

form my previous tank, i experienced the closure of a hole that i drilled to prevent back flow.. thus, this is a concern for me.. i believe there are a couple of holes on a pipe and the pressure will be spread among the holes, will there be enough presure? :ph34r:

really hope high presure can do the job, if not it is going to bring you lots of trouble especially the flushing system is connected to the return of the chiller(if i not wrong about your setup).

form my previous tank, i experienced the closure of a hole that i drilled to prevent back flow.. thus, this is a concern for me.. i believe there are a couple of holes on a pipe and the pressure will be spread among the holes, will there be enough presure? :ph34r:

really hope high presure can do the job, if not it is going to bring you lots of trouble especially the flushing system is connected to the return of the chiller(if i not wrong about your setup).

Nope, the chiller will get its dedicated pump, an Aquabee 3000. Well I am using a Red Dragon 6500 for both return and Flushing System, both with dedicated ball valves... so don't think i will have any difficulty getting the pressure.

well bro, you are wrong, rd pump are not up to pressurised pump. i forget where i saw the flow chart, but rd pump decrease at quite a steep slope unlike the iwaki pump that decrease at a very gentle slope.

Well we will be able to see in a few days time :lol: If the RD can't do the job... I can use it for some other purpose and get another pump :) No problem at all :heh:

A pix of my DI water top-up station... with a built-in Aquabee UP300 neatly installed with ball valve to offer control over the top-up rate :) Have not decided where to place the station... it's so slim... it can easily fit anywhere :P

post-34-1158135017.jpg

SALT in stand-by... getting ready for the BIG DAY... hopefully it will happen this Saturday :)

post-34-1158135131.jpg

• SRC Member
Nope, the chiller will get its dedicated pump, an Aquabee 3000. Well I am using a Red Dragon 6500 for both return and Flushing System, both with dedicated ball valves... so don't think i will have any difficulty getting the pressure.

Even though I don't know the different between ball valve and normal valve, I heard that if you restrict the flow of the pump with the valve, the pump-life will shorten..! :look:

Even though I don't know the different between ball valve and normal valve, I heard that if you restrict the flow of the pump with the valve, the pump-life will shorten..! :look:

To be frank with you... I am still learning the difference between the two :lol:

It depends on what kinda pump I suppose... and yes, I think restricting 100% flow (for example closing the valve) will definitely do harm to the pump... even if the pump can withstand the pressure... the piping and valves (and everything in between) may burst! :nuke:

I will be able to share with you guys more on this once I fill up my tank (hopefully this Friday) :)

More pix to share...

My temporary power extension... to be replaced by 2 Aquatronica Power Units early next month (to coincide with the corals transfer). There are a total of 2 Elbiru light fixtures installed inside the cabinet :)

post-34-1158146156.jpg

Haiz... spent another 2 hours (of my working hours) rinsing and washing the Puka Shells ;) Manage to wash 2 1/4 packs already... still left with 1 3/4 packs :( Must complete this time consuming task by tomorrow or else the BIG DAY will be further delayed :(

post-34-1158146572.jpg

going to be good i feel ...... :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Haiz... spent another 2 hours (of my working hours) rinsing and washing the Puka Shells ;)

I'd hate to be an employee in your firm...imagine working through the day and seeing ur boss busy playing with his reefing stuff.... :huh:

That's quite motivating..... :whistle

ps. Do u even do any work at all? Seeing how much time u spend on sgreef? :eyebrow: Tho i'm sure u'll come up with some smarty reply to rebutt this...but frankly, ur abundant post that u've flooded us with in the last few months is evidence enough.... :P

pps. quite the attention seeker arent ya? ;)

Happy Reefing... :peace::D

Haha bro... now how should I reply you... well... just treat me as one hell of a lucky guy :P

No need for smarty reply... :lol:

Do drop by more often... the best has yet to come :heh:

Good response to a seemingly antagonizing reply on my part.... :P

Keep it up.... ;)

Thanks bro... do visit more often... a lot will happen in the coming 2 weeks :lol:

Note: I do work on/maintain the tank during lunch hours (I usually skip lunch), after working hours and in the weekends :)

• SRC Member

I'd hate to be an employee in your firm...imagine working through the day and seeing ur boss busy playing with his reefing stuff.... :huh:

That's quite motivating..... :whistle

ps. Do u even do any work at all? Seeing how much time u spend on sgreef? :eyebrow: Tho i'm sure u'll come up with some smarty reply to rebutt this...but frankly, ur abundant post that u've flooded us with in the last few months is evidence enough.... :P

pps. quite the attention seeker arent ya? ;)

Happy Reefing... :peace::D

hahaha bro Quiver

i think some comments are best kept to oneself. i honestly and sincerely believe that bro jervismun will have more cow sense that you can ever imagine him to have, to be NOT washing puka shells during working hours. there are a lot of things and timelines which are not stated by him, so i would honestly recommend, from my humble opinion, to not pass judgements so fast.

Happy Reefing on your part too!

btw, its best to juz stick to your old nick, and make comments, and not just create a new account to juz come here and make a scene.

oh, check out the real meaning of "ps" before using it. :) :) :) :)

regards

• SRC Member
Thanks bro... do visit more often... a lot will happen in the coming 2 weeks :lol:

Note: I do work on/maintain the tank during lunch hours (I usually skip lunch), after working hours and in the weekends :)

haha... someone jealous you, bro jervis..! :upsidedown:

Regreting to work, quality is more important than quantity man..! And every1 should have break within the working hours.

Happy in your working hour means it is better productivity.. :heh:

keep it up, bro..! looking forword to your updatesssss...!

Guys... relax... let's focus our attention to something else :lol::lol::lol:

I am now working with a LFS to bring in a mysterious equipment for my tank... it will be somehing new... something exciting... something to really test out... :lol:

It will be the first unit to be delivered to Asia :P Yes... again... another first :yeah:

Don't PM me hor... for those interested... can pay me a visit as early as first week of October :eyebrow:

Ok once I finish my work for the day... back to shell washing :angry: Must finish this chore today!!!