Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

big project .. haha better to be safe then sorry man .. :lol: he is already to a point of no return :fear:

Yes bro... the point of no return :fear::fear::fear:

Defrosting some frozen baby shrimp... will add a few pieces into the main tank (shell bed) tomorrow morning to kick-start the Nitrogen Cycle :)

Expecting the cured live rock (cured for 3 weeks now) to arrive this Thursday :nc:

post-34-1158584035.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AquaMedic Biobacter... will add tomorrow together with the market shrimps :heh: Now how am I gonna break the glass vial :o Am I suppose to chop its neck using the supplied metal piece? :lol:

post-34-1158584152.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

HAHA alamak

u noe everythng except how to break the vial

well there r 2 mtds

1) just break it by twisting it at the place where the line is

2)use the metal thing to saw at the line

lol

tts how the nurses and docs break the vial to give medications

:cry2:

Bro jervismum, i also got the Crystal Pro DI unit from AM. Running through small amount of water (initial 65 ppm) give me 0 in the TDS meter reading, but after shutting it off and run it again few days later, i filtered out a bucket of my tap water, the TDS meter showed 18 ppm. Any idea what went wrong?

Bro jervismum, i also got the Crystal Pro DI unit from AM. Running through small amount of water (initial 65 ppm) give me 0 in the TDS meter reading, but after shutting it off and run it again few days later, i filtered out a bucket of my tap water, the TDS meter showed 18 ppm. Any idea what went wrong?

No idea... perhaps the flow is different... slow flow offers better filtration capability... if you really encounter problem with the unit... bring it back to AM... I'm sure they will honour it and help you on this small issue... that's why I only buy from shops... at least you know where to FIND them :lol:

Good morning!!!

Time to add in the defrosted baby market shrimp... damn :sick: the smell is heavenly... placed them in the sump compartment so that I can monitor them easily and allow me to remove them if necessary :)

Let the CYCLE BEGINS!!! :evil:

post-34-1158629220.jpg

Time to add a pack of Live Sand (Aragonite) too :lol:

Note: Before you buy any Live Sand product, check for expiry date... mine expires Dec 07 :)

post-34-1158629325.jpg

The texture is actually quite pretty... should've cover the entire sand bed with this product (if cost is not an issue) ;) Sprinkle a thin layer on top of my shell bed... that will allow the beneficial bacterias to spread across... quickly :D

Hopefully, the decaying market shrimps will be able to create sufficient amount of ammonia to keep them from hunger <_< I purposely chose smaller shrimps as they decay at a faster rate :sick:

Will start to monitor Ammonia and Nitrite in 2 days time... ROT BABY ROT!!!

Note: The idea of creating food for bacterias should be practice in moderation... avoid flooding your tank with too much decaying seafood... that will create too much of a disaster... can get out of control :pinch:

Right now... those few little shrimps are foul enough to be detected by my nose even with the cabinet doors closed :sick:

post-34-1158629787.jpg

Time to add in the AquaMedic Biobacter (bateria culture)... lovely :wub:

post-34-1158630630.jpg

• SRC Member

Wah Bro Jervis;

Nowaday, cycling also so high tech.... :D

After your office tank, you can start a reefing school liao for all newbie.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Wah Bro Jervis;

Nowaday, cycling also so high tech.... :D

After your office tank, you can start a reefing school liao for all newbie.

Hi bro Nakazoru... I hope I am not overdoing it :lol: Coz cycling can be a very simple process also... depending on individuals I will say...

A school for newbies? Well... I hope my step-by-step postings are clear enough... that's why I am doing this... I really hope there is such a thread when I first started... I can remember how lost I was :erm:

I think most importantly is NOT to instruct reefers what to do... let them discover themselves... as there are not definite RIGHTs and WRONGs in this hobby :)

• SRC Member

Bro Jervis;

Nothing can go work if you gave it a 100% from the start.

There is no definite right or wrong. But there is more wrong if doing lesser than what is required. Thats why Newbie need to see this where all test are done in the beginning to a acheive a like NSW cycling... Hahaha

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

where did u put ur live sand?? compartment inside the sump?? or main tank??

pls update wit some pix.......

Here you go... I placed a packet of Live Substrate (coarser than Live Sand) in my main tank. Will be using the finer version of Live Sand for my sump's DSB later.

post-34-1158637901.jpg

Damn... the smell of the rotting shrimps is definitely unpleasant :sick::sick::sick: Need to buy air freshener later :lol:

way the go man!! come on come on.. more pics :D

Haiz... alrighty... here you go...

post-34-1158651724.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro, u use the AquaMedic Biobacter still need to put prawn meh? :unsure:

I remember putting the Biobacter, was told by the LFS not to turn the skimmer on, cos that will skim out all the BioBacter, might wana check the instructions again. :P

Anyway, the Biobacter is good stuff! :yeah: I did not encounter any ammonia and NO2 spike at all from day 1, NON at all, even after several testing using different test kits!!! :fear::ph34r: Put in LS after 2 weeks, no casualties until 4 months later when NO3 spike until burst the meter!! :shock:

Bro, u use the AquaMedic Biobacter still need to put prawn meh? :unsure:

I remember putting the Biobacter, was told by the LFS not to turn the skimmer on, cos that will skim out all the BioBacter, might wana check the instructions again. :P

Anyway, the Biobacter is good stuff! :yeah: I did not encounter any ammonia and NO2 spike at all from day 1, NON at all, even after several testing using different test kits!!! :fear::ph34r: Put in LS after 2 weeks, no casualties until 4 months later when NO3 spike until burst the meter!! :shock:

Hi bro Stabilo

Yes, the AquaMedic Biobacter do not need external food source as it comes with Bacter tabs, however, I also have a large amount of shell bed to conquer and Live Aragonite to feed... I figure the addition of some small shrimps will not do the tank any harm. The last thing I want is for those billions of bacteria came with the Live Aragonite to starve to death :erm:

I just ran the skimmer for testing only, not really trying to collect any waste as there isn't much to skim anyway. Just to kick-in the unit at this initial stage, therefore not putting in the collection cup.

Well... if you are not using matured LR, LS and some existing tank water... spikes in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are expected as part of the Nitrogen Cycle... unless your tank was not cycled properly at the initial stage hence the nitrate problem you encounter 4 months later :unsure: