Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

That is why I ask. Who told you all new DI unit will give zero reading? Your common sense told you? Then I am sure you dont have one. Think before you shoot, plankton!

Milky,

I may be a plankton, so what's the big deal?

The new DI unit should give u zero, why leh? U think the manufacter of this unit will want to produce something that does not work and buddle it w a TDS meter so as to let users fry their axx? DI are not rocket science.

So u more lao jiao warrant that u are more knowleagable izzit? Pls dont get emotional. Its ppl like u who like to flaut yr seniority that makes SRC a really bad place to stay. U are not providing newbies like myself a good platform to learn. I m leaving this forum.

AT pls delete my account. Sam999 signing out.

PS: JM, sorry if I have mess out yr tread. Pls accept my apologies.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both bros... I truly think you guys are being too emotional over such a small matter... and it is not polite to dilute a reefer's tank thread in such manner... as you can see... in a debate like this... there is no right and wrong... both of you will end up the winner... the only victim here is the owner of the thread and those who have to spend their precious time going through it.

Perhaps you guys would like to continue your debate via PM... as it has become too emotional and personal :bow:

Sam999, do not apologize for what you believe in... but there are many other more appropriate ways to make yourself heard :)

Reef on both bros... and don't give up reef sharing over such small matter :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

yalah watch guys fight no fun ... got any girl fights scheduled? :D

That will be under TCC... r u a member of TCC bro Soul? :lol::lol::lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

eh jervis.... slacking ar!!! UPDATES!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey guys... give me a break!!! :lol: You don't expect me to update everyday do you? ;) Ok... tomorrow... lots of updates :heh:

on monday, he'll do updatezz within his working hours lah.. :fear::sick:

Hee hee.. i mean lunch time lah.. :evil: hey... Dun skip ur lunch lah.. u'll be thinner and thinner.. :snore:

Haha... as predicted... UPDATEZ!!!

Very happy by the my accurate salt mix :lol: Coz I didn't wait for the salt to be fully dissolved before I left last Saturday... this morning... salinity reading 1.023 :) Not too bad for a start although a slightly higher salinity is more desired (for me).

A classic hydrometer will do the job fine for the time being... will get a more accurate reading once I transfer my Aquatronica over :P

post-34-1158544037.jpg

Now... time to add in the magic potion... Marine Environment's secret recipe that made all the difference :lol::lol::lol:

post-34-1158544208.jpg

try testing the main tank too, i assume your hydro is only at the sump.

when i first started out, my sump tank has a higher reading then the main tank, by about 0.02.

Oh... let me test it now... damn gotto off the Red Dragon... it will blow my hydrometer to pieces :lol:

Readings are consistent bro Colinsoon...

Now temperature:

Tank water: 28ºC (using hydrometer)

Sump cabinet: 27.7ºC

Room temperature: 26.1ºC

Air-con setting: 24ºC

Humidity:

Sump cabinet: 62%

Room: 61%

Will continue to monitor it although not so critical a piece of information...

post-34-1158545480.jpg

hmmm long as its consistent then its ok already la.. my readings varied quite a bit for the first 2-3 weeks. when i still bothered to check. stopped checking after a while. no idea if readings are still the same..

Bro Colinsoon... inconsistency in readings is an indication that either the main tank or sump contains pocket of water with poor circulation... supposedly... both should give you similar reading as they are within the same system... do find out why :)

Alright... I've put the Marine Environment salt to the test... and here are my findings... will do a conclusion later :)

Firstly, the kH is only 4ºkH... very low as a 8ºkH is needed to keep fishes and corals happy... however, buffing up is not an issue as it is both easy and not costly... furthermore a Calcium Reactor will take care of that.

Secondly, pH is decently alright at 7.9... this is a reflection of the low kH.

Thirdly, Magnesium. This is the most important factor as raising/maintaining Mg is a very expensive affair... my Salifert shows 1380!!! Perfect... almost :lol:

Important note: Sg 1.023, Temperature 28ºC, entirely new mix using DI water... ran for 2 days.

post-34-1158554527.jpg

Fourthly, Calcium... less expensive to raise/maintain compared to Magnesium... Salifert showing a stunning reading of 475ppm :yeah::yeah::yeah:

post-34-1158554697.jpg

Now... let's unveil the POWER of using DI WATER :D

Phosphate = 0 mg/L (as expected)

Nitrate = 0.2 mg/L (Salifert side reading... actually as good as zero)

Conclusion coming up...

post-34-1158555187.jpg

A bro asked me about the benefits of using DI water... well... since this is not a new product... I shall let the product packaging speaks for itself... bought this unit from AquaMarin.

post-34-1158555514.jpg

My conclusion:

1) DI water is definitely the way to go... it is crucial to get the water condition right at the very beginning than to expect our FR filled with expensive Rowaphos to do the job later :)

2) Marine Environment salt is close to perfect. The Mg and Ca balance is simply stunning... the only set back is the lower than expected kH. I guess... ME is good enough for day-to-day use as it is truly a value for money salt mix.

Important note: Sg 1.023, Temperature 28ºC, entirely new mix using DI water... ran for 2 days.

• SRC Member
2) Marine Environment salt is close to perfect. The Mg and Ca balance is simply stunning... the only set back is the lower than expected kH. I guess... ME is good enough for day-to-day use as it is truly a value for money salt mix.

Wow.. Great..

Thx for guiding the parameters handling..

For pH & KH, it's not coz of salt, coz of DI water as indicated on the box..! rite? :bow:

For pH & KH, it's not coz of salt, coz of DI water as indicated on the box..! rite? :bow:

Yes DI water is known to lower kH and pH... but ME Salt is known for slightly lower kH, as experienced at home using tap water (was :lol: )