Reading materials for newbies??

• SRC Member

Books on basic reef keeping are really good but most of them are a bit outdated by now. They make good toilet reading.

The internet has all the information you need for free.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

It's easier to cycle them together or it will just take longer to have two separate cycles.

Washing the sand is only to get rid of pieces of wood and plastic or what nots that are in the sand. You don't have to wash until clear like rice.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I am looking for this book. Tried MPH, Kino and Borders. No one seems to carry it. Anyone knows where to get this?

The Reef Aquarium - A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates Vol. 1

post-6-1038756971.jpg

• SRC Member

I get most of my books from Amazon.com

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

If you are really desperate yet you don't want to order online, you can get MPH, Borders or any large bookstore to order for you. Just give them the title and ISBN, of course, you will have to pay more.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

hi all no books recommanded yet? I got to know a boss of a marine farm a few months back and with repeated visits to his place got to learn abit abt marine tanks...

Picked up a few tricks from him but i am hungry for more info

coz from him is based on personal experience which might be alittle biased in some sense...

Any recommandations? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Ok Ok, if you want books.

1) The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Volume 1)

by J. Charles Delbeek, Julian Sprung, Charles Delbeek, Martin A., Jr. Moe, Peter Wilkens

2) The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Vol 2)

by Julian Sprung, J. Charles Delbeek

3) Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms

by John H. Tullock, Martin A. Moe

4) Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History

by Eric H. Borneman, Scott W. Michael (Photographer), Janine Cairns-Michael (Photographer)

5) Clownfishes

by Joyce D. Wilkerson, Thomas A. Frakes

6) The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium (Vol. 1,2,3 & 4) (The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium)

by Svein A. Fossa, Alf Jacob Nilsen

7) Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking

by Mark Bittman, Dennis M. Gottlieb (Photographer)

8) Book of Coral Propagation, Volume 1: Reef Gardening for Aquarists

by Anthony Rosario Calfo

9) Corals of the World, Vol. 1, 2, 3 (in Slip Cover)

by J.E.N. Veron

10) The Captive Reef: A Concise Guide to Reef Aquaria in the Home

by Dana Riddle

11) Reef Fishes Volume 1

by Scott W. Michael

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

hi thks alot will try to source these titles from MPH or watever bookstores

btw this one looks like a cook book for fish hahaha

7) Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking

by Mark Bittman, Dennis M. Gottlieb (Photographer)

pardon me if i am wrong

<_<

• SRC Member

Ya, you are right.

It's a good book!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I've got a couple of books but if I lent them to you will you return them? Most people just forget or can't be bothered to return my books. <_

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tanzy,

did u buy all those books? U have lots of money.

Charles Delbeek & Julian Sprung book so expensive. Is it much more worth it than Eric Borneman which is much cheaper?

I have Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner which I think is also good for beginner, & is not in ur list.

• SRC Member

I like books. Bibliophilic! :lol:

E. Borneman's book is all about corals whereas the Delbeek and Sprung book is more comprehensive including system setup.

I only list the books I've read before.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
Tanzy Posted on Dec 3 2002, 02:14 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a couple of books but if I lent them to you will you return them? Most people just forget or can't be bothered to return my books.  

Thought it was just me. So it seems even you have this problem too. I have lost a couple of books in this way and these people are no longer contactable. Now I have Reef Notes Vol. 2-4 without Vol. 1!! Also, I have a archive of every single FAMA magazine all the way from '96 till now and a few months are missing. Its really heart breaking. Another case concerns my Coral Reef Aquarium Vol1. by Svein A Fossa. It was returned to me in a water stained and dog eared condition. Duh! How irresponsible.

Hope you don't mind my rants. Its been pent up for far too long. Kinda intererested in getting No. 8. Can you tell me more? How do you find it in terms of value of content, pictures (qty and qlty) and understandability?

• SRC Member

Thought it was just me. So it seems even you have this problem too. I have lost a couple of books in this way and these people are no longer contactable. Now I have Reef Notes Vol. 2-4 without Vol. 1!! Also, I have a archive of every single FAMA magazine all the way from '96 till now and a few months are missing. Its really heart breaking. Another case concerns my Coral Reef Aquarium Vol1. by Svein A Fossa. It was returned to me in a water stained and dog eared condition. Duh! How irresponsible.

Hope you don't mind my rants. Its been pent up for far too long. Kinda intererested in getting No. 8. Can you tell me more? How do you find it in terms of value of content, pictures (qty and qlty) and understandability?

yeah.. i know how u feel towards ppl who borrowed but either return the books in another state that i dun recognise or act blur after borrowing it.. i lost quite a few books in that way and could not find the replacement.. sigh..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Calfo's book is not really a book, it looks photocopied and then ring binder bound. Looks more like notes. It's not too thick and I read the whole thing at a LFS, very informative for the advance reefer. Must read for SPS keepers.

I won't bother buying one if I can photocopy it. ;)

post-36-1093875548.jpg