Sunnies appreciation!!!!

kelvintan_a1ea

• SRC Member

Nice one bro, jus brought one, like them alot but target feeding is one pro cos also dun open try cyclopeeze ,mysis and bine but still not as power as yours. This is the 3rd days liao try to train them.

• SRC Member

hihi bro remus .. just keep trying lah, u'll succeed ... i hv 10 colonies of sunnies n i now feed them ocean nutrition formula one medium sized pellets ... n they love it ... patience will be rewarded in sunnies

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

my sun never open for 2 weeks.... then one day... i bought cyclopeeze and feed... all slowly open up. from then on... they open whenever i feed my fish.... regardless of cylopeeze or flakes or mysis shrimp.... so now can target feed. ;)

my sun never open for 2 weeks.... then one day... i bought cyclopeeze and feed... all slowly open up. from then on... they open whenever i feed my fish.... regardless of cylopeeze or flakes or mysis shrimp.... so now can target feed. ;)

Yup, feed with cyclopeeze and ur sun coral will become big and sunny. :lol:

that's the thing about sun coral....

i love supersun and sun , they brighten up the tank a lot ,

but lazy to target feed ....

:bow: to hardworking sun owner. :look:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

I think they are not difficult to keep. If your water quality is good, it will definitely open. I rotate mysis, cyclo with phyto and henry's(hong leong) food mix.

Be careful of overfeeding. There's once when my nitrate shot up over the tester max indicated. ( lazy to test and change water ) All my colonies died. Check out the sun skeleton on some of my pics.

The challenge is to keep constant feeding and yet maintain low nitrate levels. The key to keeping sunnies is water change, good skimming and proper denitrification.

Hey Dazza, got some pics? 10 colonies will be breathtaking...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To: princesseve

I mix generous amount cyclofreeze (curry powder) with AquaZ phyto using tank water. I feed about 20-40 ml first and see if the sunnies open after abt 15-20 mins. If they open, thats means they can sense the food. If not, feed some more. Also feed this blended food mix from Henry (Hong leong marinelife or sealife always mix up) When ever I feel like it, I will hand feed with mysis or brine shrimp. Abt 6 cubes at one go.

However, do be very careful wif water parameters. It is very difficult to balance yr NO3 given the heavy feeding.

I keep my current no3 at between 20-50ppm. Constant change of water every week or biweekly. (I use a 2ft tank to premix the salt water so I can use the following week) I am also using 1 litre amount of Puralock in a FR to absorb NO3. I am using a HnS F2001 now but the No3 will rise gradually over a week or two.

I jus bought another 12 pcs. Now got over 20 colonies liao. It will be best if u hav a further things like denitrator, DSB, and refugium system all together.

So far these have been the challenges I am faced with.

• SRC Member
Nice bro, are they only open during feeding time?

Also, anyone knows the difference between normal sunny and super sunny?

Thanks.

Normal suns are under the family of tubastrea

Super suns are under the family of dendrophyllia

Basically, super sun are much bigger than normal suns in terms of poylps' size, and their tentacles tend to be more translucent in color

If i am not wrong, there is a even bigger version of the super sun, but very rare, saw the pic in SRC once before, lazy to dig it up :lol:

• Moderators

Normal suns are under the family of tubastrea

Super suns are under the family of dendrophyllia

Basically, super sun are much bigger than normal suns in terms of poylps' size, and their tentacles tend to be more translucent in color

If i am not wrong, there is a even bigger version of the super sun, but very rare, saw the pic in SRC once before, lazy to dig it up :lol:

Bro, you are right. There is 1 more which is much bigger. Per head is easier 2X the size of a supersun's.

Irwana main tank had 1 head. Whitish in color. Can go view there if anyone want to see the real thing. It is located more to the right side of the tank in lower mid water level.

Tom

• SRC Member

Bro, you are right. There is 1 more which is much bigger. Per head is easier 2X the size of a supersun's.

Irwana main tank had 1 head. Whitish in color. Can go view there if anyone want to see the real thing. It is located more to the right side of the tank in lower mid water level.

Are we talking about this guy?

:whistle:whistle:whistle

post-70-1162109850.jpg

• 2 weeks later...