Reefzzz Tankie

Reefzzz

I recommend Aquabee pumps as they consume less electricty. In most cases, less power consumption equals to less heat generation. Aquabee pumps are also quieter and smaller. Do consider :D

Remember... return pump is one of the few equipments that will run 24/7... so 50W of saving means $7.50 less on your monthly electricity bill.

Choose wisely... it's not that we can do our shopping in some other planets :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really like the idea of a separate refugium... aren't you gonna build a cabinet to cover the lower part of the tank incl. the refugium? Can't wait to see more progress... lovely :wub:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
where do you get those mangrove

Got them in M'sia when going over for holiday a few months back...

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

• SRC Member
Really like the idea of a separate refugium... aren't you gonna build a cabinet to cover the lower part of the tank incl. the refugium? Can't wait to see more progress... lovely :wub:

bro jervismum,

the refugium will not be covered... cos i will be growing mangroves in that cube tank.... i really like the sight of those plants sticking out of the water... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

bro banacle,

yes!! yes!! what u said make sense ;);) ....

what flow rate of pump can be considered a powerful pump? Ehiem1260 fit into this category? or what is your suggestions? :thanks:

I only trust eheim, so would go for 1262 or 1264 and t off to other

equipment eg FR, UV, CR....etc etc.. ;)

• SRC Member
That's all i have for now.... Need to get the piping done by next week...

Dilemma

Not sure want to use 1x150W MH or a bank of 4x39W T5... Concern is my underpower 1/10hp resun chiller... Not sure if this chiller can cool the water if using MH.

Intended inital LS

>> Some LPS, soft corals (mushies) & 4 - 5 simple fishes

If able to keep all these alive & flourish, would want to try 1 or 2 small frag of SPS... :idea::idea:

Dilemma 2

I would say this is more of a problem. Can i connect my return pump from the sump to my chiller before it goes into the main tank? Is this arrangement workable? Hope to have some comments... :thanks:

Get a mh with T5 haha ;)

• SRC Member

Damn it... took me half a day just to fixed these few simple joints... :angry: ... When i think back now, dun know why i took so long also... haha...

post-34-1158510511.jpg

• SRC Member

Another pics of the output of the refugium to sump...

• SRC Member

Opps.. forgot abt the attachment again....

post-34-1158510630.jpg

• SRC Member

Guess what i saw in my holding tank.... U guys would not believe it but luckily managed to capture a shot to show...

Guess what >> A mushroom of 50cts size swallowing a worm.... looks like a python slowing a pig...

post-34-1158510797.jpg

• SRC Member

Bought this set from AM... hopefully can start refilling the tank next week...

post-34-1158510895.jpg

• SRC Member

bro can pm me the price? :thanks:

your tank also made by AM?

Both my tank & cabinet are made seperately...

Tank (12mm), refugium (12mm) & sump (6mm) all from Fish City.. their price quite reasonable..

For both the tank & refugium stand, i custom made them from a furniture shop. All made from solid teak wood...

Putting all these together, i seriously do not know if this arrangement can work out fine. Theoretically, all the water flow direction and sump holding volume should be sufficient.. hehe.. Well, i will know the answer when i fill the tanks up.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it don't, at least i can still use the tank stand as a display cabinet and the refugium stand as coffee table.. haha... That is the reason why i do not want to drill a hole for the overflow on the main tank stand...

What a way to console myself... :P:P

Bought this set from AM... hopefully can start refilling the tank next week...

Haha... I just used it to fill up my 4 footer last Friday... damn easy to use, just let is fill up slowly, don't rush the flow... the slower it goes... the better in terms of filtration... use the TDS meter that comes with the DI Unit to determine the purity of the filtered water :)

Very exciting times ahead... the refugium is really a very neat idea :bow:

• SRC Member

Haha... I just used it to fill up my 4 footer last Friday... damn easy to use, just let is fill up slowly, don't rush the flow... the slower it goes... the better in terms of filtration... use the TDS meter that comes with the DI Unit to determine the purity of the filtered water :)

Bro, i REALLY hope it work out fine.. haha...

That is why i had not buy any lights, skimmer, etc.... :D

Bro, i REALLY hope it work out fine.. haha...

That is why i had not buy any lights, skimmer, etc.... :D

• SRC Member

hi bro Reefzzz,

Just wondering.. your overflow will go to refugium and then go to sump rite? If u put skimmer in the sump, all the benifit of refugium will be wasted in the skimmer?? I thought we put the skimmer before the refugium (or) normally put before the return zone rite? :angel:

Plz check it out with the PRO reefers here! Just my 2 cents! :upsidedown:

• SRC Member
hi bro Reefzzz,

Just wondering.. your overflow will go to refugium and then go to sump rite? If u put skimmer in the sump, all the benifit of refugium will be wasted in the skimmer?? I thought we put the skimmer before the refugium (or) normally put before the return zone rite? :angel:

Plz check it out with the PRO reefers here! Just my 2 cents! :upsidedown:

Hey bro,

My idea of the refugium is that they can reduce the ammonia, nitrate & phosphate concentration. I have no idea what other benefits they can produced. Care to share what u mean by "all the benifit of refugium will be wasted in the skimmer"? :thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member
:lol: Just make sure you have some detritus grazing LS in your refugium as I expect a lot of wastes and food will end up in the refugium :)

Lighting can come later... probably in 1 month time (while cycling)... but it will be good to start deciding on the protein skimmer... have you got any in mind?

that a gd idea, bro... putting some cleanup crew in refugium... interesting..

As for skimmer, looking at the schuran jetskim 100. like the clear acrylic design.. u have any gd recommendation?

No no.. shld not have ask u this Qs :o:o .. believe u will say Deltec. hehe. :upsidedown:

• SRC Member
Hey bro,

My idea of the refugium is that they can reduce the ammonia, nitrate & phosphate concentration. I have no idea what other benefits they can produced. Care to share what u mean by "all the benifit of refugium will be wasted in the skimmer"? :thanks:  :thanks:

ok! bro!

Here is the meaning of refugium.

Refugium - This lighted area can grow macro algae, which takes up nitrates from your water. The plants also add oxygen, and help maintain pH levels when the display's lights are off. This predator-free zone will allow good growth of copepods, ampipods and other microfauna that eventually end up in the display tank as food for your inhabitants.

And you can check the sump designs in this website - http://www.melevsreef.com/make_a_sump.html and in this website say Refugium -> Skimmer -> Return (the benifit is none).

Hope this will help you!

Cheers!

• SRC Member
ok! bro!

Here is the meaning of refugium.

Refugium - This lighted area can grow macro algae, which takes up nitrates from your water. The plants also add oxygen, and help maintain pH levels when the display's lights are off. This predator-free zone will allow good growth of copepods, ampipods and other microfauna that eventually end up in the display tank as food for your inhabitants.

And you can check the sump designs in this website -  http://www.melevsreef.com/make_a_sump.html and in this website say Refugium -> Skimmer -> Return (the benifit is none).

Hope this will help you!

Cheers!

Based on the Skimmer --> Refugium --> Return configuration, the author mentioned that it is not possible for every drop of water from the main tank to go through the skimmer to get into the refugium.

For the Refugium --> Skimmer --> Return, the author state that the micro fauna are going to skimmed out of the water before they ever reached the main tank.

However, IMO, using the same analoging he used for Skimmer --> Refugium --> Return, it would not be possible for all micro fauna to end up in the skimmer leh..

anyway, i will not want to take such chances.. luckily i have 2 output from the refugium. I am going to configure such that one of them bypass the skimmer.

:thanks: for your info, dude. It definitely helps. cheers :thanks: