My mega 12 feet marine tank projects

toyboyhouse

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Erm, just curious to know, is your account shared as in the whole team uses it?

I asked because you post in different tones and structure.

Anyway, the important point is that well, I think you got to make sure a proper SOP is done up and the team members know very well what they are doing.

I'm not sure whether you've been in this hobby before but if the institution is just starting on this field, then I think spending more time doing research first would be better. Being educated in the field does not necessarily mean success. You'll need to learn from reefer's experiences as well and IMO, a fusion of both would be best.

Looking at your proposed systems, it is going to be a BIG project and with that, comes big responsibilities when managing funds. To me, it is quite surprising to know that you are able to apply for funding for these projects which is definately going to cost a lot.

Oh and I think it'll be good to state at least what you guys hope to achieve from these projects as well to avoid unnecessary arguments arising. It is good that you are working with AVA and NEA but ultimately, it is the individual that is in control of the project. Working with non-photosynthetic corals are really THAT MUCH harder than even SPS.

Talking about that, I was also wondering why you needed MH since you are doing non-photosynthetic corals? And like the reefers mentioned, 3 MH is not enough spread for a 12ft system. For that you'll need about 6 MH.

Anyway, hope to see some pictures up soon and good luck on your setup.

"May your reefs grow as fast as our hair and last longer too!" -Anthony Calfo

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

i agree what blueheaven said.

from what u post dated on Oct 9 2006, 11:26 PM, does it take that long to get the PI approval to post some pics of the mega huge tank? i hv never seem anyone setting up a monster tank like this locally before? can share just a photo,pls? :cry2:

p.s wat is PI stand for? :P

• SRC Member

bro toyboyhouse, though u're just plankton status, I do hope that you've been in this hobby before. buidling an aquarium is like building a complex life support system for whatever's living inside. Much as its funds and good(often costly) equipment help, most imptly is the knowledge whether you know how to piece everything together and make it work.

I think so far comments seem pretty negative with alot of caution and warning but take heart bro. all are well meaning reefers in src who truely have the passion.

Lately i've been invovled in some academic stuff related to marine bio as well and i came to the conclusion that all profs etc have all the knowledge about marine organisms, how many fins this fish have, what's the purpose of gill rakes, fish's heartbeat or what not. But....

they do not know how to keep their fish alive. In a marine lab there are samples of coral frags, fish etc. yes they're alive, but for how long? the fact is that many die after a while. The reefers on the other hand have a different knowledge, we may not know that much about fish bio, but we know how to provide 'artificial life support' to not just keep the organisms alive, but i believe some have even manage to make them grow and even spawn and breed.

2 very different schools of thought. Take the best of both, and your 12ft is going to be not just useful for whatever u use it for, but its gonna be a great aquarium as well.

update more bro! i'm excited abt this 12footer and i'm suscribing to this thread to track it.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

Emm... I guess we will have to wait for the Sentosa IR then... :erm:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

what u mean what for the IR?

The Sentosa IR project... to see a mega tank <_<

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

oh. so the 12ft tank is at the IR?

Emm... ok I think I've created a confusion here... I was trying to say... since no update from tank owner... will have to wait for the IR to build a giant reef tank :D

• SRC Member

the sentosa IR is crazy ... read on the papers tt the people want to bring a whale shark... they dont have enuff space there to support one lor ... whats worse is that the reported wrote that the whale sharks is the world's largest marine "MAMMAL" ........... :( tt guy obviously skived on his research..

• SRC Member

oh well .. we dont really know the actual space they are allocating for that tank if they are building one. anyways if they are really planning to keep one i think they will make sure it survives, or else those animal lovers will kick up a fuss.. a BIG one .. lolz

one of the aquariums in japan has a whale shark i think. its possible to keep one i guess .. but its juz a matter of how long can it survive in captivity.... IMO anything that size is meant to be in the sea