Cheapo floating glass hydrometer...

• SRC Member

When I started marine FOWLR, I bought cheap $4-$6 floating glass hydrometer with built-in mercury thermometer. I used red sea salt and always made sure the glass hydrometer floated in the green zone. However, all shrimps, snails and other lifestock (some fishes survived!) will die very quickly when ever I put into my tank, even after drip acclimitization.

I accidentally broke the glass hydrometer and borrowed my neighbour's Marine Environment hydrometer. The Marine Environment hydrometer showed SG level way off until cannot measure!!! Panic...changed 2 big pails of water immediately (3ft tank). Wait another week, change another 2 pails. Now using Red Sea hydrometer. SG level just above acceptable zone because I have plenum/DSB where SG of water still too high. Will probably have to change half to one pail of water for the next 2-3 weeks to ensure SG level stabilizes to acceptable.

So...warning to all...glass hydrometer can really (^(^#$ your tank!!! Save $10, lost more than $100 livestock!

bro glim18,

how is my bubble coral ! :)

anyway i would advice u to go for a refractometer / salinity meter which is of comparable accuarcy.

one time investment in refractometer and it will last for almost a lifetime for almost perfect accuracy.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

yeah refractometer is gd investment . Perhaps u can c hk with Janet if the promo is still on for the free refractometer with purchase of bucket of marine environment salt...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

That use to happen to me to when using the cheap 5 dollar hydrometers.

wondering why my fish always get ich and look stress.

when I switch to refractometer I found that the sg level of 24 on hydrometer was actually 27 on refractometer.... :(

anyway now I only trust refractometer and no more ich and stressed fish

• SRC Member

I bought needle type hydrometer. If I remember correctly, it's Coralife brand. Bought it because packaging said that the hydrometer is certified correct. Paid about 3 times of cheapo glass floating type, but still cheaper than having stressed/dead livestock!

how much does one refractometer cost?

new one cost 60-80

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

I bought needle type hydrometer. If I remember correctly, it's Coralife brand. Bought it because packaging said that the hydrometer is certified correct. Paid about 3 times of cheapo glass floating type, but still cheaper than having stressed/dead livestock!

actually i am selling my corallife hydrometer at dollars .

but u will be shock at the result when compare with the refractometer side by side

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

umm.. myb u shldn't have place it in the tank all the while

test / check wateva u want

then take it out??

@ least that is wat i was told when i purchase mine

the pax selling told me, once the mercury goes into ur main

thats it bro..

so i was always very cautious abt it..

i rinse it with freshwater after every use..

and mine is still ok now..