adding salt direct into sump?

• SRC Member

I would add the salt into a small container of the tank water to dissolve the salt 1st, then pour the extra salty water into the sump, 1st compartment also can as then the water will be mixed through the sump then goes into the main tank. Then do a check on s.g. about 30 min later.

Hmm.... 4 me, what I'll do, scoop a cup of marine water from the tank and use the water to dilute marine salt, repeating this till desired level so as not to have a drastic shot. By using the tank water, you won't raise water level too. :D

thx.. didnt think of it.. i'll try ur method.. :thanks:

Some bad advice given. :huh:

NEVER pour seasalt directly into saltwater! There will instant chemical reactions which cause precipitation of calcium and affect the alkalinity!

ALWAYS mix seasalt with freshwater and THEN pour the mix into your tank.

Do a search in SRC... a little research will yield all the answers you need in reef keeping here! ;)

• SRC Member
Some bad advice given. :huh:

NEVER pour seasalt directly into saltwater! There will instant chemical reactions which cause precipitation of calcium and affect the alkalinity!

ALWAYS mix seasalt with freshwater and THEN pour the mix into your tank.

Do a search in SRC... a little research will yield all the answers you need in reef keeping here! ;)

wow...never knew that.... :paiseh: thanks for the heads up! :P

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

if u r just doing water change then mix ur marine salt in a pail of D.I. water

measure ur salinity using a refractometer(more accurate) or hydrometer (not so accurate) at 1.021 to 1.023

just make sure all the salt melted or just use small pump to circulate the water with the marine salt in the pail

hope this help