Water Currents

Hi All,

I have a few questions and hope that fellow Lao Jiaos can help to easre my doubts and advise mi on the following.

1- I have been reading and found out that currents are second to lighting when keeping corals. However, how do we create the currents? Okay, we have Phs and wavemakers. But may i know where do we place the PHs? I understand that is the PHs are not placed properly, i will actually damage the corals than do good. How many PHs do we need then for a 3 - 4 footer tank.

2- I heard about the SCWD ( Squid ) ??. Is it useful? Where do we place it in order to maximise its usage. Where can i find it apart from buying online? Anyone has a spare one to sell?? Or are there any other stuff that can help with the currents? Pls recommend.

Pardon mi if the questions sounds silly. :unsure:

Thanks

Hi All,

I have a few questions and hope that fellow Lao Jiaos can help to easre my doubts and advise mi on the following.

1- I have been reading and found out that currents are second to lighting when keeping corals. However, how do we create the currents? Okay, we have Phs and wavemakers. But may i know where do we place the PHs? I understand that is the PHs are not placed properly, i will actually damage the corals than do good. How many PHs do we need then for a 3 - 4 footer tank.

2- I heard about the SCWD ( Squid ) ??. Is it useful? Where do we place it in order to maximise its usage. Where can i find it apart from buying online? Anyone has a spare one to sell?? Or are there any other stuff that can help with the currents? Pls recommend.

Pardon mi if the questions sounds silly. :unsure:

Thanks

"Conventional aquarium pumps generate excessively high flow rates in the core area of the water jet, but on the outside of the core area the current is too low. This difference leads to stress for the aquarium inhabitants, such as coral polyps." (Quote ka poh from sponsor website).

• SRC Member

from what i saw on tv, the curernts for LPS is so that they can trap 'food' in the water when it streams by... the current should not be very strong as the corals might not bloom... u need a little current behind your rockwork too to minimalise the probability of dead spots too actually... SCWD is ok but it works exactly like a powerhead.. the only thing diff that is does it that is shoots the water in 2 different directions.. ;) u can add more outlets at the expense on the output u recieve though.. a tunze is good as it has a wider range then PHs.. (is wider range the correct term??) the ph will only blow a very narrow jet of water at a certain spot but the tunze is like a fan in the water and will blow over a large area.. generally, people who have a 3/4 footer will have 1 tunze but if u're filled to the brim with SPS then 2 would be good at either side.. :rolleyes:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

Heard about the maxijet too... BTW thanks for the fast reply though.

May i know where i can find them?? And about tunze, How much is it? How many I need? There is a controller to it rite? will i need it if i am only getting one of them?