Setting Up Marine Tank

• SRC Member

during cycling you need not on the lights or the fan as there is no livestocks, hence the evaporation rate is not so high as compared as tanks with habitants.... you may like to observe the evaporation rate and top up declorinated tap water to stabilize the salinity of the tank water.... as the water evaporates, the salt gets left behind hence resulting in higher salinity reading...

once your readings are suitable and best allow it to stabilize for at least 3 days den add livestocks slowly.... preferrably with invertebrates such as snails or shrimps, your preference, first before you add fish as they have lower bioload, hence allowing the bacteria to multiply fast enough to handle the bioload.... rem, small quantity at a time.... perhaps 1 or 2... den measure your water parameters again.. once the nitrite and amonia drops to 0 and remain that way for about 3 days den you add more livestocks.... never overstock your tank and stocking to fast also may cause the tank to "crash"...

in the beginning stage, you may need to chagne 10-20% of water every week and this is to help to replenish fresh water for the fish to drink as well as to dilute the nitrite level as a result of ammnonia breakdown. once your tank is up and going for about 1 month or 2, you may change it biweekly.... however, if any of your livestocks die and nitrite level shoot sky high within short period you may wish to change up to 20% of your water so as to dilute the water further...

:eyeblur:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...5861&hl=listing

try this thread.... they have the lfs listing in excel. u need to shop around before purchasing the fishes.... :eyeblur: happy shopping......

thks ~ btw izzit important for me to use anti cholrine or let the water to stay for 1 day for the chorline to disolve b4 i pour into the tank for the 1st cycle ? :unsure:

• SRC Member

always use de-clorinated tap water/saltwater as this would reduce the chances of blooming of algae in your tank..... you can either add declorinators or let the water stand for at least 24 hours, both have the same effect... :pinch:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

liverock is counted by the kilos, not by pieces.

as for whether your tank can tahan the weight of the liverock, it all depends on your tank's construction and your luck.

woah so meaning if cannot tahan then say by by to the water n the tank... -.- i'm using the 73litres nisso tank ~ tink i will get some will do i guess

oh those two feet tanks? can put up to 10kg I think. can be more, can be less. more is always good anyways.

take care not to let the rock touch any of the glass panels. this may inadvertently divert pressure to the glass panel direct. an increased point of pressure working on a point may cause the glass to warp, and by chance, some cursed fellow went to tap the spot, you then can say bye bye to the tank, water, and whatever lifestock you have inside.

anyways, do read up more on the sticky post and this thread. you'll learn a lot more that way. but do remember to take such advice with a pinch of salt, as some reefers *me for example. I admit okay!* don't really know their stuff. *I am not insulting anyone of you out there so don't kill me.*

stuff coming in from AT, Morgan...the senior people. ah. those confirm can trust. (=

oh those two feet tanks? can put up to 10kg I think. can be more, can be less. more is always good anyways.

take care not to let the rock touch any of the glass panels. this may inadvertently divert pressure to the glass panel direct. an increased point of pressure working on a point may cause the glass to warp, and by chance, some cursed fellow went to tap the spot, you then can say bye bye to the tank, water, and whatever lifestock you have inside.

anyways, do read up more on the sticky post and this thread. you'll learn a lot more that way. but do remember to take such advice with a pinch of salt, as some reefers *me for example. I admit okay!* don't really know their stuff. *I am not insulting anyone of you out there so don't kill me.*

stuff coming in from AT, Morgan...the senior people. ah. those confirm can trust. (=

up to 10kg ? erm currently should be ard 6.. sandbank... i tink so

btw been refilling water into the 1st cycle for 3 times this time round the salt seems to disolve abit so the hydrometer shows abit of not enough i need to mix n pour it in ? :unsure:

sandbank? what the? wait. how much live rocks do you have in your tank at this very present moment?

and from what I read, mix the salt outside the tank before dumping it into the tank.

sand ard 4kg below the bank ard 2kg? currently no live rocks at all 1st cycle

mix the salt outside the tank n dump in .. ok ~

so am I right to say the only thing you have in your tank is sand and salt water? how on earth are you going to cycle your tank like that? you need live rocks! or at least, some form of substrate for the bacteria to cling onto.

go get some live rocks quick. then you can start the cycling process by throwing in a market prawn or something.

so am I right to say the only thing you have in your tank is sand and salt water? how on earth are you going to cycle your tank like that? you need live rocks! or at least, some form of substrate for the bacteria to cling onto.

go get some life rocks quick. then you can start the cycling process by throwing in a market prawn or something.

live rocks plus the prawn ? woah how long will it take ? depends on the quantity of live rocks rite ? wat exactly will the prawn do ? lol i still dun realli understand abt the prawn theory ~

if you did read, you wouldn't be asking me what live rocks and the market prawn is for. (=

unless you're not too sure lah.

of course i read juz tat was not too sure ~ scare make the wrong move ~ erm would it be advisable to remove some of my sand ? example .. half ? the sand is ard 4inches weights 4kg

oops sorry refering to the above weightload of a 2ft tank ... anyone got experience or views abt it ? how much weight can the tank handle... ?