new 3ft

kevink

• SRC Member

true to the point... as bro kenneth point out live rock will be added to the sump only with skimmer on the side. and a basic light in the sump. new to this total biological setup as my old nano is canister setup.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

yeap gonna do it just as u describe.... i was wonderin though is FR a good investment as oppose to calcium reactor? or more or much the same thing? and wuts a good brand or site for it?? :thanks:

appreciate all the help so far :D

• SRC Member

Bro,

FR and calcium reactor are 2 very different things. FR is just a reaction chamber for water treatment media. Reefers normally put phosphate removal media or carbon in a FR to maximise the effect.

For a Calcium Reactor, it helps to maintain the calcium level in your tank at ard 400~450ppm depending on individuals when it is properly tuned and running. If you are into SPS, a CR will be very helpful.

FYI, FR normally sells for anything from 30 to 100 dollars. CR easily cost a few hundred dollars....and that dun include the CO2 tank ..

• SRC Member

i see thanks for the lesson. i have never seen a calcium reactor in real life so im not sure about it. hard to find one in malaysia.

as for FR i did saw 1 today bout the price u describe. looks just like a big test tube with a in and out host. do u usually connect it to a seperate pump on its own or can u hook it up with a skimmer or chiller ?

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

you need to be able to control the flow going into the FR cos if the flow is too strong, the media you put inside will flow out into your tank and make a mess. You just need to add a adjustable valve to the input tube of the FR.

Whether to use individual pump or T off from chiller or skimmer is up to individual reefers. Individual pump is easiest but it means u need to buy an extra pump and it will add to the heat load.

T-off from chiller or skimmer also can be done but you have to be good with DIY piping lor.

• SRC Member

bought the FR just now gonna hook it up tomorrow a little worry bout the pump though box recommend 1500L powerhead for opeartion but cloest i can find is 1400L hopefully wont matter too much.

another thing i was wonderin if any reefer can help out there the shrimp i put in for cycling..... its totally gone :shock: should i put another in???

• SRC Member

measure your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do a little read up on tank cycling and you will have a rough idea what to do next.

The idea of putting a dead prawn into the tank is to start the nitrogen cycle. There are alot of information on tank cycling in the forum for you to read up on. Do check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

water tested ok. heres a sump finished setup. all seperate pump FR and skimmer on the side and 1 pump for the chiller seperately. got given some of the macro algae gonna try it out c if it will survive or not.

some site listed turn the lights on for 16hrs some say flat out 24hrs for the macroalgae. anyone with some of them care to share since my web surfing conclusion comes to when the lights go out it release carbon dioxide and ph will drop, but doesnt the plant need ZZZzz (sleep)??

post-34-1175149912.jpg

• SRC Member

yea there is a bit of injury on the side, got it from a friend apparently his mushroom was overcrowding his tank and melted the side on the brain coral so i took it over. should be no problem its tenticle still comes out and try to grab some food when i feed it. i like the colour though.

Well done... phew... a close one :bow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• 2 weeks later...