My Eels

• SRC Member

what do u feed them? Do they feed on frozen food?

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

All in the same tank ??

Wow ............

Ever had problems weaning them onto prepared food ?

I had the same eel you have in the last pic ...(should be a tiger/enigmatic moray if i'm not wrong). ..

Refused to eat anything and wasted away ....(you could whack its head with a prawn-- he'll smell it and then swim away)

Btw the Wolf Eel you have (the green one) is a Dottyback, FYI. :)

The big ones (the first 7 pics) are all in the same tank. Curiously, the white ribbon eel has been with me for 2 years, and despite its regular intake of food, it grows very slowly. I have 2 'enigmatic eels' (sorry, don't know if this is their correct name) which are still quite small, and are kept with the ribbon eel and another moray in a separate tank.

They are all fed thawed cut fish, except for the white ribbon eel, which eats only ghost shrimp.

• 3 months later...

Often eels do tolerate one another for their one most aggressive behavior comes from feeding for as even eels like the goldentail moray, one could house a pair for so many years and one day one took some bites out of the other. That happens even more when house different growth eel species.

As it is, you seem to have species which would mostly feeds mainly on crustaceans. Now I cannot see the photos as clearly, but few the eels I think I make out a Sharptail in #1. I see where you say that the biggest eel is 10" or so.

Which the eels you had for 3 years and what size were they when you first got them? The enigmatic eel will grow less then 2' and would feed on small fish as well the White ribbon eel will grow more then 3' and from the photos you show, it and the enigmatic eel are your most active from the bunch.

The white ribbon likes to burrows itself for its protection and when small size do feed on crustaceans such as shrimps and soft shelled crabs and can be difficult to feed in a home aquarium, especially when too small a juvenile for feeding it only one type of foods is not a good thing.

Now is it my eyes that im seeing a yellowish color in your tank?

Just how often you do water changes and how many gals?

Now understand, I for many eels kept eels and for some 37 years or so, I keep all that time seven eels at any one time, but only my tanks were larger for when the eels become adults, there could be problems being in a tank that is less then 3' long, even three feet for that matter.

Eels always show at most their docile appearances and their reasons to bites other eels in the tank happens due to two main reasons such as hungry and their lair. For yes, this can appear to work well for some years, but one day you will remember what I said here for even dwarf eels bite another of their kind due too their normal aggressive behavior.

So right now that the eels are so small, you no issues as yet, also your a wide mix and thanks god for one thing that your not other species of eels, which feeds mostly on FO.

So yes, its an interesting collection of eels.

If you were to add a wolf eel, you see bites taking out of the other eels real quick like>

Also, I cannot tell on how much LR you have there, but eels like to hide themselves completely and in total darkness.

You might to tell what filtration system your using on these tanks? And how much LR?

Also when I housed three or four eels together of a difference species and depending on their types of behavior for the long term, I housed them in much larger tanks in order to keep any aggression to a minimum, but there are no guarantees.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I can't identify them all. I have just bought three more eels - I think they are of the same species. Pictures will be shown in future.

The yellow colour of the tank water is light reflected off the cream coloured wall adjacent to the tank, plus the dark colour of the tank sides which are covered by brown algae. I have since removed the algae and the tank is brighter now.

The tank must be covered properly. I have lost two fimbriated morays in two consecutive months when they jumped out of the tank and were not discovered. I nearly lost a Myrichthys maculosus when it too lept out of the tank, but luckily I found it before it dried up. Took the fellow about two weeks to recover from the ordeal and start feeding again.

The eels can become accustomed to taking food from your fingers. Be careful though, that they don't sink their teeth into your fingers in the process. It will be more of a surprise than pain when they do that.

The eels can also become hunters of small fish. It is better not to keep bite-sized fish with them. And yes, they can take bites off one another. So far, the ones bitten have managed to recover. Just early this year, the white ribbon eel had one gaping wound about 0.5cm in diameter in the cranial part of its abdominal wall. It didn't eat for about an entire month and I thought that it was going to die. But it survived and it is now hungrier than before.

Shifting to larger tanks is definitely a must when the eels grow bigger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
All in the same tank ??

Wow ............

Ever had problems weaning them onto prepared food ?

I had the same eel you have in the last pic ...(should be a tiger/enigmatic moray if i'm not wrong). ..

Refused to eat anything and wasted away ....(you could whack its head with a prawn-- he'll smell it and then swim away)

Btw the Wolf Eel you have (the green one) is a Dottyback, FYI. :)

whack its head? did you tell him that he is stupid? LOL

Maybe you can eat them or sell to a japanese restaurant. they likes eel.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

OMG!! I just had a look at my eel tank just now and to my horror saw that my snowflake moray eel had my white ribbon eel in its jaws!!!

I quickly chased the snowflake off with a stick.. now the ribbon eel is hidden in a rock, refusing to come out. Goodness... to think that snowflake morays are well known to be very docile, compatible with other fishes and will eat only crustaceans...

They've been living together for almost 2 months without problems before this... hiya. :unsure:

Anyone else have experienced similar 'snowflake treachery'?

• SRC Member
OMG!! I just had a look at my eel tank just now and to my horror saw that my snowflake moray eel had my white ribbon eel in its jaws!!!

I quickly chased the snowflake off with a stick.. now the ribbon eel is hidden in a rock, refusing to come out. Goodness... to think that snowflake morays are well known to be very docile, compatible with other fishes and will eat only crustaceans...

They've been living together for almost 2 months without problems before this... hiya. :unsure:

Anyone else have experienced similar 'snowflake treachery'?

another thing might be seizing territory or arguments. Ask the old man on top. He is very very experience in eels. In the wild, nothing is docile. There is no police but only gangsters.