Difference in additives

read about the difference kind of buffer and kh or ph booster available.

But what is the difference between buffer and those only kh or ph booster?

buffer is use to maintain kh, ph when they are already at the right value?

or buffer is a mixture of kh and ph boosters which helps you get the number right without calculating?

• SRC Member

Buffer is to raise KH or PH more gently than the booster as claim by the product. It is like a off the shelve idiot proof addition to your tank.

In actual fact, it will probably never get it to the right KH/PH if you ever do as per the instruction be it KH or PH, unless you measure it and devise a routine of your own.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

read about the difference kind of buffer and kh or ph booster available.

But what is the difference between buffer and those only kh or ph booster?

buffer is use to maintain kh, ph when they are already at the right value?

or buffer is a mixture of kh and ph boosters which helps you get the number right without calculating?

Buffer prevent pH swing( there will be little or no change to your pH when acid or alkaline substance is added to your tank in your system. )

They are mainly the bicarbonate and carbonate ions in the reef system.

In reef set-up , alkalinity which is measure by dkH ( German degree hardness) which is the total amount of hydroxide , bicarbonate and carbonate ions in the system. Natural Sea water had a kH of about 8 and reefers normally keep from 8 -10.

Thus adding buffer such as carbonate/bicarbonate or even hydroxide ( in the form of limewater which is calcium hydroxide) will increase your kH. adding hydroxide ions normally will increase your pH too as it is alkaline.

in fact although pH is a very important factor in marine, it is largely monitor and affliated to kH, buffering your kH to 8-10 normally will allow your pH to stable at 8.0-8.3. So target your kH parameter first.

if you find that it is hard to maintain your KH, again they are affliated to Calcium and Magnesium, so check your Magnesium and Calcium to ensure that the Kh will be the right target.

HTH :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

oh. i understand the link between kh ph calcium and magnesium.

but wondering whether to use buffers or just the kh or ph supplements.

so say my kh is norm while ph is very low or vice versa, will adding buffers overdose any parameters? since buffers is suppose to raise both kh and ph together.

oh. i understand the link between kh ph calcium and magnesium.

but wondering whether to use buffers or just the kh or ph supplements.

so say my kh is norm while ph is very low or vice versa, will adding buffers overdose any parameters? since buffers is suppose to raise both kh and ph together.

what is your kH and pH now ? :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

still haven get ph testk. but kh show 4. super low. :(

buff up your kH to 8 and your pH naturally will fall in place .

there are no need for 2 types of buffer or essentially they might be the same thing .

i recommend Grotech Carbonat or Seachem reef builder .

but wondering whether to use buffers or just the kh or ph supplements

kH supplement are known as the buffer.

since buffers is suppose to raise both kh and ph together.

buffer is suppose to prevent swing or prevent large flutuation of pH in your system. it will not keep on raising pH. for instance adding carbonate and hydroxide will increase your pH slightly however adding bicarbonate will not raise pH at all.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

so in that case meaning carbonate will only up the kh while buffer will up and maintain both. was looking at seapharm part A and B marine buffer. any idea how is it? din see seachem reef builder. only saw seachem reef buffer. got diff?

Yes seacham buffer will only maintain the Kh, in your case it will try to raise KH since it is low but it will take a longetr time. Reef builder is the right addictive as it will help to raise you KH at a faster rate.

Previously i was using reef buffer, KH can only rasie to 7. After I switch to seacham reef builder, KH was maintain between 8-10 and l could see that the coraline algae is growing at a fast rate as compared to before it was receding. However Seacham reef buider is quite expensive, you may want to get those food grade bicarbonate from the super market. I think the brandis Bake King from NTUC. I think so one is selling it in the forum too, you may want to check that out.

Raising of KH must also be in tandem with the correct Ca and Mg to maintain the overall health of corals.

3.5ft X 2 ft X 2.5 ft

Deltec Protein Skimmer AP 600 - Eheim Compact 1000

Deltec - NF 509

Teco RA 640 Chiller - Aqua-Bee UP 2000i Aquarium Pump

Aqua-Bee UP 7000 Aquarium Pump - return

Skimz Fluidized Reactor- Aqua-Bee UP 2000 tee off to NF 509 and CR

DE Lightings 8 x 39watts

Turbelle stream Kit TS07

got a bit confused.

bicarbonate/carbonate only raise your kh. or bicarbonate and carbonate is essentially the same thing?

but ph will be stabilized by kh right?

calcium also needed to added in the right proportion

so kalwasser only raise Ca level or both Ca plus kh?

• SRC Member
oh. the diy kh additive using baking soda ar? you tried it before? wondering if it will crash the tank. since we don't know what is in the composition of baking soda. ok. will go find the reef builder.

Most things added in excess will crash ur tank. ;). See here to get the right composition for your tank.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html