Anemonie for expert only??

• SRC Member

Hi guys, need some help here as i'm very new to anemonie......A few of my friend told me that anemonie is very difficult to keep, they will usually survive in the tank for a few months only, usually not more than 6 months....... i read the same thing on the net.... but my question is.... why are they so difficult to keep??? are they very sensitive to nitrate?? require very strong lightning?? current??? space??? can anyone provide some info??

As with all livestock, they require good water conditions and lighting. I don't believe they are that delicate though.

I used to keep about 4 anemones in my old tank from small till giant sized. In the end, I have to get rid of them because they disturbed my corals and one of them is a fish-eater.

They will find the right spot in your tank, meaning the lighting, water current and space to retreat in is the best for them. They won't go where you want them to go and won't stay where you want them to stay.

:)

• SRC Member

but i dun undestand this.... I know that they need plenty of lightning and that's why i've added another 36w 6500 PL tube in my 2.5' tank..... they seems to "run" away from the bright area and hide in those holes in between my LR...... i'm worried that in this carrie on, they won't get enought light and die..... what should i do??? should i shift my light??

• SRC Member

Tigershark,

what species did you get??? Mine is the H malu, bubble tip.... read from the net that this species will prefer a sand and rock surface to attach to... it also ran away till it lodge itself in between the sand and rock.. weirder still it opens widely at night when i switch off the light... unusual behaviour.. but issit a dying sign?? I dunno.. hope not.. its still alert and eating...

• SRC Member

hey....share the same problem....i guess anemonie require a certain kind of diet rather than lightings....current is important....as wat AT said is true...they will look for a best suitable place to house themselves....wat i meant by special diet means in addition to liquid coral food...they need to be fed with krill into their mouth....every anemonie have a mouth in the centre...tat's wat feeding tong are for :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
hey....share the same problem....i guess anemonie require a certain kind of diet rather than lightings....current is important....as wat AT said is true...they will look for a best suitable place to house themselves....wat i meant by special diet means in addition to liquid coral food...they need to be fed with krill into their mouth....every anemonie have a mouth in the centre...tat's wat feeding tong are for :rolleyes:

i'm currently feeding my anemonie with fresh market prawn without shells..... i think it should be all right as this taught by one of the admin in reef org.... btw, can anyone provide me any link where i can find out more about anemonie and their pic??

• SRC Member

maybe someone can help me with my anemone, supposedly the pink anemone

i know that i'm meant to feed it bits of prawn...

but it just would eat it

placed the prawn on the mouth, mouth opens, but prawn is still there

until the fishes come and peck and take it away......

perhaps someone can gimme a solution to ensure feeding? :unsure:

• SRC Member

don't force your anemonie to eat, if it does'nt eat, leave it alone, they will vomit it our even the food go into their mouth.... or if they get sudden shock, they will do the smae think.... try to feed your anemonie twice a week max to once a fortnight..... btw, where did u get your pink anemonie and how much?? i saw sealife selling for $16!!! too ex.....

btw, expert out there.... i read from some article that anemonie in white/yellow/light is actually not so healthy, how true is that???