What happpen to my cleaner shrimp?

the oracle

• SRC Member

Jus purchase another 3 cleaner shrimp today. all 3 are healthy as it can be. But i realise after 1 hour, one sudden flip over and die. i see it very healty suddenly jus gone. What happen? IS it bcos of the water? Why the rest are ok but not this shrimp? This is the second incident liao. 1 st incident 2 out of 3 shrimp also jus gone like that. :(

• SRC Member

For shrimps, you'll need to acclimate properly and release them slowly. Try not to dump in straight away to the bottom of the tank. For me, l'll usually release them at the highest LR area and let them crawl down to the bottom.

You mentioned tt the rest are ok, are they shrimps as well? If not, it may also be due to one of your water parameters. Check your SG, pH...

• SRC Member
For shrimps, you'll need to acclimate properly and release them slowly. Try not to dump in straight away to the bottom of the tank. For me, l'll usually release them at the highest LR area and let them crawl down to the bottom.

You mentioned tt the rest are ok, are they shrimps as well? If not, it may also be due to one of your water parameters. Check your SG, pH...

Ok will try tonite. What if there is something wrong with ph level or sg level? What can i do? Thanks! Still a newbie! :unsure:

• SRC Member

My water now is ph 8.2 so i guess it should be ok. Now i have 3 cleaner in my tank 2 of them quite stable and one abit weak. the feeler are short and seem like being bitten off. Its body also pale white and not as yellow as other 2 cleaner. Anyone know why?

• SRC Member
one more gone today. my ph is 8.2. but till now not sure what is wrong. my boxer is ok but my six clearner now left 1 and all die after turn whitish in colour. Usually yellow color.

Possible 1: Is your boxer shrimp bullying the cleaner? Since the boxer are "more fierce" than cleaner and is already in your tank for some time.

Possible 2: PH and SG ok.... how about temperature? I have experiences that my fire and cleaner shrimps disappearing in my tank when my tank temperature is kind of high around 30 to 33C.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

many cleaner shrimps die due to sudden intro to tank. usually its due to

PH, and salinity shock.

some LFS had ever exprience 100% casualty due to this reason.

packaging water from overseas have very high salinity and low PH.

shrimp's own body waste lowers the PH in the small pack of water over 2days.

therefore when buying live stock that's still in the shipment packaging, u got to be extra careful.

also shrimps are very sensitive to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

• SRC Member

30 degrees will be too high a temp IMO .. but my boxter survive in my tank. depends on your climatizing skills. dumping them staight into the tank is definately a no no.

u might wanna put the shrimps in the container and add abit of your tank water slowly before releasing them.

cheers

• SRC Member

If u are rearing only fish only, a fan will do to lower your temp.

Ur temp is indeed to high, keep below 30 degrees will be fine.

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

22 degree C is way too low. 27 is acceptable and 29 is just barely acceptable.

from what i observe from my cleaner shrimps, they turn white normally after they molt(changing of shell) but the "yellow" will soon be back after a week or so.

and also shrimps will die during molting if there is not enough iodine in your water.

buy some iodine supplement or do regualar water changes to replenish it.

and be patience, do acclimate ur shrimps properly to prevent "shock". don't just dump it in. they dun adapt as fast as fish.

for acclimation method click here: about and acclimation methods

for me i prefer the dripping method using IV lines and once in a while if im feeling lazy, i use the measuring cup method. so far so good, no casualty till date from "shock" *finger crossed*

happy reefing and good luck on your next batch of cleaners! :peace:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

wow how you get 22 deg? that is too cold and waste electricity! As for now i left with last shrimp in my tank but it is happy as ever. nothing goes wrong with it now. probably it is too warm and now bought a chiller. All my other fishes and coral are blooming. Guess cant save a chiller if you want to keep marine fishes. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Other than sudden change in water parameters (most commonly due to inadequate acclimatisation before introduction into the tank, or due to massive water changes), other common causes of cleaner shrimp deaths are due to bullying by other tank mates.

Common culprits:

1) Groupers and wrasses

2) Pistol shrimps

3) Boxer shrimps

- They will gradually trim the feelers of your cleaner/blood shrimps every day and generally harass them to death... even if your cleaner/blood shrimp is much bigger than the boxer. My personal experience. :unsure: