Refugium

yazid

• SRC Member

After considerable amount of research about Refugium. Finally, I have decided to embark into the Refugium Project.

I'll need to re-do my sump all over again. Sigh! I know it is going to be worth it.

Will keep you guys posted on my progress.

I will need to design and draw the schematics of the sump/refugium.

:)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
After considerable amount of research about Refugium. Finally, I have decided to embark into the Refugium Project.

I'll need to re-do my sump all over again. Sigh! I know it is going to be worth it.

Will keep you guys posted on my progress.

I will need to design and draw the schematics of the sump/refugium.

:)

For those who are keen in the refugium integrated into sump approach....

refer to these threads.....

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...99a4032658a46db

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...53925719e7ad525

Jus in case anyone asked....

;)

• SRC Member

I need help in designing my new Sump/Refugium.

Here a schematic of my current tank. I'll take an actual photo when I get back home.

• SRC Member

I need help in designing my new Sump/Refugium.

Here a schematic of my current tank. I'll take an actual photo when I get back home.

post-7-1039513284.jpg

• SRC Member

Do remember that there is a constraint.

1. Overflow pipes and return pipes is on the left.

2. Chiller is on the right side.

How about Diagram 2.

post-7-1039513828.jpg

• SRC Member

Looks OK. But watch the height of your refugium. It's not necessary to have it that high as it will mean the penetration of whatever light you intend to use will not be as good. Also, how do you intend to connect the water inlet for the refugium? From that height of your intended inlet, it looks like there will be a fair bit of turbulence, which will create lots of bubbles too.

• SRC Member

Here another schematics (Not to scale) I'll put the measurement when I got the chance to do it.

Really need your expert advise for any flaw with this design. Will it work.

post-7-1039592995.jpg

• SRC Member

Yazid, very nice design...

Suggest something... instead of having the overflow volume directly into the refugium before sump, recommend that you split the volume into 2 outputs... or you can utilise 2 outlets from mains....

Place a ball valve at one of the entry points ...recommend for the refugium section so you hav greater control over the vol of water flow in the sump/refugium......

Jus to emphasize on the recommendation above..... You can cut water supply off from refugium and your system would still be running as mains water will enter sump directly... esp useful when you want to maintain your refugium...like macroalgae trimming.... won't be easy with the water flow on.......esp if you are thinking of high water turnover.....

• SRC Member
Yazid, very nice design...

Suggest something... instead of having the overflow volume directly into the refugium before sump, recommend that you split the volume into 2 outputs... or you can utilise 2 outlets from mains....

Place a ball valve at one of the entry points ...recommend for the refugium section so you hav greater control over the vol of water flow in the sump/refugium......

Jus to emphasize on the recommendation above..... You can cut water supply off from refugium and your system would still be running as mains water will enter sump directly... esp useful when you want to maintain your refugium...like macroalgae trimming.... won't be easy with the water flow on.......esp if you are thinking of high water turnover.....

And to add on, I think chemical filtration after the refugium would be a better suggestion....esp in the reservoir prior to water being pumped back into the mains.... Very useful esp "touchwood" if your Macroalgae crashes!!!!

• SRC Member
Hi Yazid....could you post more pics of your tank??Hopefully bigger pics... really love to see your tank. Thanks

Would love to but I am currently redecorating the tank. I just suck up the 3" DSB from the main tank cos that 2 pesky wrasse keep messing them up

and the live rock keeps tumbling down. That's why I need to setup a refugium fast. I did that operation successfully w/o any casualty to the corals and fish. What a relief!? But I'm sad cos after 2 years there is so much life in the sand. Worms, bristle worms... etc.

I intend to follow what phang did (use eggcrate) to support the LR. Probably put a small powerhead inside.

• SRC Member

Great....

The reason for the light diffusers are becos I did not want the liverock to rest directly on the sand bed...... it will compact the sand beneath and chances of dead areas developing will be higher...

Another advantage is that reefers who have a preference for burrowing critters... like pistol shrimps and gobies can keep them without fear of " house renovation " by them....

And of course large savings because of less LR required...

Do take note that the structure made must be able to stand the weight of the rocks.....

I use cable ties to hold them together....Lots of them....

Jus be careful of power heads placed in..... will have a hard time removing them when they breakdown...... know a reefer that had it happen in his reef... now powerhead becomes part of the LR.,....

<_<