Alkalinity= PH ?

• SRC Member

Your PH is too low. You should get it up to about 8.3. At that level, your livestock will be severly stressed, if not dead already.

You should dose some PH buffer to bring your PH up.

350 calcium should be alright for most tanks.

If you add Kalk, you will raise both your PH (only temporarily) and your calcium levels.

• SRC Member
If say my water parameters :

calcium level: 350

alkalinity: 11

PH: 7.5

Does i need to dose PH buffer or kalkwasser ?

Kalkwasser will never bring up my PH level right ?

Usually people will always say KH or carbon hardness = 11.

Alkalinity is a description of the pH level. As well as Acidity. So if you say pH = 7.5, that mean your water is Alkaline and if pH = 6, that means your water = Acidic.

So I think what Powder Blue say Alkalinity = KH, he meant that the KH will raise the pH of the water.

Hope that helps and did you put you to sleep. :lol:

Get a seachem pH 8.3 buffer. Get the liquid type as it is more convenient to use. Just follow the instruction and add the specified amount in twice a week to increase you pH level. Dont have to worry about overdose because it will not be able to raise you pH above 8.3.

• SRC Member

This is not the first time I've seen claims of high dKH with impossibly low pH. 11 and 7.5 just don't go together unless you have a severe ionic inbalance in the tank. Suspect test kit error first.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Didn't you read the thread? :blink:

pH is the concentration of Hydrogen ions in the water or how acidic the water is.

Alkalinity is measured by dKH and it is a measure of carbonates and bicarbonates in the water. These bicarbonates and carbonates can affect pH by acting as buffers.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Calibrate your pH test kit using newly mixed saltwater. If it still reads 7.5 then it's your test kit problem.

If the test kit is alright, be glad that your livestocks are still doing well...if they are....

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

One thing I dun understand is if kalkwasser is calcium, then why do people recommend it to up PH levels? I tot there's an opposite reaction between calcium and alkalinity levels? That means if I up calcium, I would get lower KH levels therefore lower PH. At least that was what I understand from articles..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/