Too hot for LPS?

megatron

Hi...

finally got myself a coralife digital thermometer..

I was rather shocked when i hooked it up to my nano cube..

31.7 degress celcius!! Measured while the lights are switch on....

Ouch!! HOT HOT HOT...

i know my nano cube is a little warm... but i din know it was so hot...

Is this temperature too warrm for any LPS?

Hammer? Bubble? hairy mushroom...?

pls advise...

thanks!

• SRC Member

usually 31 is the threshold . at 30 is already stressing

i didnt know anything can survive at 31 and above T_T

advise get a small chiller for nano or ice probe

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

CR - Deltec pF601s Chiller - Arctica Titanium Commercial Chiller

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

Hi...

did consider ice probe due to its low power usage...

but with a 24gallon nano cube... i think it'll be difficult for the ice probe to make a significant

diff in temp... am i rite?

next option is either clip on fans or chiller...

hmmmmm..... i remember reading a fellow reefer who did a fantastic job of keep

LPS in her tank.... just with use of fans... think the nick is little bull...

maybe little bull tank placement is windy place ... so a fan is able to do the job..

I'm out of the house most part of the day so all windows are closed till 7-8pm..

so the house tend to be stuff ...

this wld contribute to the high temp...

• SRC Member

get a fan then . should solve the problem .

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

CR - Deltec pF601s Chiller - Arctica Titanium Commercial Chiller

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

• SRC Member
Hi...

did consider ice probe due to its low power usage...

but with a 24gallon nano cube... i think it'll be difficult for the ice probe to make a significant

diff in temp... am i rite?

next option is either clip on fans or chiller...

hmmmmm..... i remember reading a fellow reefer who did a fantastic job of keep

LPS in her tank.... just with use of fans... think the nick is little bull...

maybe little bull tank placement is windy place ... so a fan is able to do the job..

I'm out of the house most part of the day so all windows are closed till 7-8pm..

so the house tend to be stuff ...

this wld contribute to the high temp...

sis bull tank was in an air con room

a clip on fan does help but u hv to top up lots of water

hope the info helps

cheers n happy reefing

• SRC Member

Using a fan for nano cube will lower the temp by 3 degrees if you get a powerful one! but watch out for the rate of evaporation! can be up to 1.5 litres of top up per day!

• SRC Member

I am using a fan! no air-con but i think my water is cool enough, around 27-28C

on 24hrs everyday! and the evaporation for me is also 3 litres a day. 1 bottle of 1.5l coke bottle when i wake up.. 1 more bottle of water around evening time.

troublesome? yes but used to it already. anyway i also mixed kalkwasser in the bottle of water b4 topping up!

• SRC Member

Hey 29C LPS can survive rite???Seems nothing wrong.I went to reborn their water 29-30C.Yours too hot already.So how cold is your room??Any ventilation if gt how can it be that hot???

girlone.png

Hi, mine is maintain at 28.5 to 29.7C using a solid DC 12v 120mm dual ball (for longer MTBF) bearing silverstone fan with a cool 110cfm (cost around $20-25 bucks from sim lim). Used to be able maintain temp at 27 to 28C but after getting a FR, bigger skimmer with 2 pumps and additional circulating pump, temp up by 1 deg.

My windows are closed most of the time wic explains the high temp.

Evaporation rate is around 2 to 3 litres per day. IM keeping LPS such as hammer, torch, mushies, sponges. So far so gd.... :D

Used to use an AC fan(HOPAR brand) but find it to be inefficient cos the fan itself get very hot running 24/7, keep blowing hot air instead of cool ones, temp went up to 30.7C.

So i would recommend a dc fan for effective cooling esp the silverstone type with very high air flow of 110cfm, operates very silently.

Forgot to add, for Megatron nano tank, the 12mm dc fan might be too powerful, so u can get the smaller version 70mm type or smaller. If not u can also reduce the dc voltage for the bigger fan to reduce airflow.

But u got to be caution not to use a too powerful fan else yr SG will fluctuate too much, causing unneccessary stress to yr livestock. :D

I still feel that having a chiller is the way to go for long term reefing....