My Mangrove & DSB Setup

kelvintan_a1ea

Jus measured my water parameters last nite.

No3 <20ppm

KH 8

Mg 1500ppm

Ca 400ppm

Jus changed my Rowa a week ago abt 250g, so assume ok.

My setup s a 4x1.5x1.5ft with 2 ftx1ft sump.

6 inch DSB in main tank.

Coral labs FR

Resun cl650 with external probe fr chill-down

Solite 3xAti 54w and a geiusman 50/50 or something (bought fr reefdepot)

Its now abt 12 months old tank.

Mainly LPS and about 10% SPS.

I like to collect the exotic species.

Not very active now due to work and family, but still maintain my tank condition as much as I can. ( hopefully it's good enough)

• SRC Member
Can share where to find the mangroves?

U can try reach out to Bro Reefzzz...... for the mangroves... I got some in my sump tank too :lol: Intending to add more to suppress nitrates :huh:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

I very lazy. Spray water once or twice a week only. Since u mentioned, will be doing it after this post.

I got mine from Bro Reefzzz and fr Golden Octopus.

Fr my experience, it is not too good the temp fr surrounding is too hot, ie chiller exhaust and placing the lighting too close to the mangroves. I was using a 36w PL 6500k and jus changed to a 15w T8 used for freshwater tank.

The leaves grow as they absorbed the nitrates... very useful and cheap. No need for expensive denitrators.

I also downgraded fr a HnS 850l in sump needle wheel to a macro venturi.

Hope to post some pic of my tank soon.

• SRC Member
Hi Bro Kelvin, may I know how you take care of the mangrove? Do you need to wash the leave with fresh water every other day?

Pls advise :bow:

So far, I dun go wash or spray the leaves with fresh water and they still grow well. Guess my nitrates are high :fear: will try to post some mangroves pic when free B)

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

When the leaves are growing, they are absorbing nutrients. Otherwise, you may want to change the lightings or surrounding temp.

The mangroves do perform differently under 20k, 15k 10k or 6500k lights.

Also, the heat given off by the lights or nearby chiller exhaust also make a difference. Bro Reefz's lights for his mangroves is abt 1 ft fr the nearest leaf.

Hmm my light source is about 1ft away.. but sadly.. im using yellow light (Reefz pls dun hamtam mi!! I still havent got out to buy the energy-saving white light~~~). and hopefully it wont affect the m.g in anywayz.. but im beginning to see spouts?? or is it jus over-anxious mi...

• SRC Member

still lingering around lar. leaving end of the month. using plants for nitrate export has always been my dream but never got down to doing it. maybe in the next tank i will cater for that but would really want to get an idea on its effectiveness

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

U need to hav more mangroves to do the job rite. I saw my friend who use about 5 stalks ( abt 1 feet length ) and 10 small ones ( 3 inches) for a 4x2x2 tank.

I am using 12 big ones and 3 small ones. So u have to get the rite quantity for your bioload.