Project 5x2.5x2 - Reef Tank

eDen

After keeping a simple fowler tank for 2 years, I have finally decided to spend some time and $$$ investing in a reef tank. Hopefully, can get it right - with some help from the masters out there....... :thanks:

Here is the plan (I haven't bought the equipments yet):

Lightening: T5 (6x80W API tube) - is this too little or too much? Seen some of you with juz 4 tubes and lower W. Worry having algae problem.

Skimmer: Deltec 701 (why does a few containers & pipes cost so much? :angry: )

Chiller: Teco2 or Resun CL0500 (I was told tat this is juz an air-con, so I am thinking of saving some $ here to pay for a better skimmer, so prob Resun)

Salt: Oceanic

Additives: Aqua-Z A & B & trace element & calcium

Hmm........what else? Any essentials that I miss out?

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

What is your tank thickness? Be careful coz the bigger the requiement is more than 12mm.

Also, when you want to spend money (it is easier said than done), spent at the better item, so tht you will not waste your time upgrading and upgrading, in the long run, you will loose even more.

When I upgrade, I lost S$300 of fishes. Therefore think again.

Tank Specification:

- Manufacturer: Coral Reef

- 60x24x30

- 12mm thick glass

- overflow system

Power head: Ehiem 1260

Current skimmer: Weipro 2012

Filter Media: Bio-ball and Bio-Ring

Feel free to comment if you think the equipment that I am considering is not good enough........please provide recommendation if you can.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Hehe, your rockscape looks familiar, like what I have in my tank.

My current tank only got 1 blue tang, 1 powder blown tang, 1 powder blue tang, still collecting moe fishes.

have you tank recycled finished? it will take weeks until you see foam from skimmer.

Good luck;)

• SRC Member

My $0.02 contribution.

Lighting- 6x80w or even 8x80w. You may want to use actinic to see the different coral color. 2 actinic, 1 Fiji Purple, 1 Superwhite and 2 ATI.

Skimmer-Deltec 851.

Chiller-Aircon compressor, Mitsubishi Starmex.

Salt- Up to you but heard TropicMarin ProReef is good.

Additives-TropicMarin stuff.

Others-

Return pump-Red Dragon 8m3.

Wavemaker-Tunze TS24 (2x6100 I think)

Water topup-Tunze Osmolator connect to a Kalkwasser reactor.

Calcium addition-Deltec Calcium reactor PF601 or bigger. You'll also need a CO2 tank and solenoid.

Kalkwasser reactor-Either the locally made ones or go with Deltec.

Fluidized reactor-You'll need 2, 1 for Phosphate absorbing media and the other is for carbon and a pump not exceeding 500lt/hr to push water through these 2 reactor connected in series.

Accessories-

Ph monitor, ph controller, timers and more.

This is what I can think of right now. Too tired liao, more than 24hr of not sleeping. Will continue 2molo. :(

Wah bro... Yr recommendation think budget of 5K also not enough

That spec around $12k :lol::lol::lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Lighting- 6x80w or even 8x80w. You may want to use actinic to see the different coral color. 2 actinic, 1 Fiji Purple, 1 Superwhite and 2 ATI.

Skimmer-Deltec 851.

Chiller-Aircon compressor, Mitsubishi Starmex.

Salt- Up to you but heard TropicMarin ProReef is good.

Additives-TropicMarin stuff.

Others-

Calcium addition-Deltec Calcium reactor PF601 or bigger. You'll also need a CO2 tank and solenoid.

Fluidized reactor-You'll need 2, 1 for Phosphate absorbing media and the other is for carbon and a pump not exceeding 500lt/hr to push water through these 2 reactor connected in series.

Accessories-

Ph monitor, ph controller, timers and more.

Wooo.......Wooo...........$12k!!!, my turn to no sleep 24 hrs! :D

But thanks for the advice.............

Skimmer - think Deltec 851 is too big for me.....heard Deltec 701 is the smaller version that is equally effective + can fit into my cabinet.

Chiller - Mitsubishi Starmex - really? I quite 'suaigu' - never heard before. Will chk it out.

The others - piang......can slowly add or not? Which is the more essential? :huh:

• SRC Member

Woke up from a 13hr sleep. :)

Since you have a fowlr, get the skimmer and chiller 1st. If there's more funds, get the wavemaker and fluidized reactor. 1st stage.

2nd stage-Kalkwasser reactor, Tunze Osmolator, a container to hold distilled water,Deltec calcium reactor with Rowalith C+, co2 tank with solenoid and regulator, timers, ph controller, additives. Get these before adding coral.

Take your time and don't rush. It's better to have all the equipment connected and operating before adding any livestock. Do the necessary homework regarding equipment. ;)

Haven't done much reading on wavemaker and fluidized reactor, is there any recommendation? Anybody wrote something on this? Paste a link if you know one. Thanks.

Wavemaker - I was told that you need 20x tank capacity?

Return pump - told 10x capacity?

Fluidized reactor - what to look out for?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Wavemaker-Tunze TS24 comes with 2 x 6100 Tunze Stream controllable wavemaker and 1 Tunze Multi Controller 7095. The 2 x 6100 Stream also comes with 2 Tunze magnet holder. This is a packaged system. The Multi Controller can control up to 4 controllable Tunze Stream wavemaker. The controller can control the amount of flow needed for the 2 Stream to pump. There are individual controller for each wavemaker pump.

Return Pump-Red Dragon 8m3, 8000lt/hr using 75watts only. 8m3 model and above will have titanium roller bearing. Need to check what diameter of your pvc is. Too small and the whole pvc piping might vibrate.

Fluidized Reactor-This depend on how large your water volume is. Also, some model are taller and might not fit in your cabinet. I am currently using 2 Little Fishes for my 4ft tank. I believe all are the same, just that which design you prefer.

Hope this helps!

• SRC Member

Lightening: T5 (6x80W API tube) - is this too little or too much? Seen some of you with juz 4 tubes and lower W. Worry having algae problem.

Depends on ur needs. if ur tank hv eurobrace, do u wan to hv such long tubes? how abt considering 54W instead? 6 tubes cant really play with the combinations

Skimmer: Deltec 701 (why does a few containers & pipes cost so much? :angry: )

u can still stick to ur current skimmer if u dun wan but if things fail, who to blame? Skimmer is a must unless u are prepared to change tons of water every week.. get a skimmer that is rated slightly above ur tank and put ur mind at ease. i reckon them to the kidneys of ur system.. I'm sure u hv ur reasons for wanting to get Deltec instead of other brands in the market

Chiller: Teco2 or Resun CL0500 (I was told tat this is juz an air-con, so I am thinking of saving some $ here to pay for a better skimmer, so prob Resun)

Simple equation here. What u buy is a one time cost.. cheap yes.. running cost.. high.. period. Chill-down's (one of the sponsors) mod air-con unit is known to bring the temp down rapidly and at a lower cost too.

Salt: Oceanic

there are many brands out in the market. Some reefers swear by the ones they used... go for what u need.. Tropic marine is good.. u can also use Grotech or marine environment

Additives: Aqua-Z A & B & trace element & calcium

for time being, i guess it should be ok.. but in the long run, u find that u need more value for money supplements.. read up and find out what u really need.. no pt buying something and dosing it without realising what they are used for

Others-

They are good.. but ex and i heard the support aint that fantasic.. good to pay more for a better return. Brands like OR6500, AB7000, AB5000, Reeflo pumps, Deltec pumps.. basically, the amt of turnover u wanna hv. These are the heart of ur system.. u cant afford to let it fail.. should it fail, u better be able to find replacement parts

Get a controllable one is always better as u can control the strength. But then also depends on what u wanna keep. This can come much latter when u wanna generate current and waves for ur corals and to create water movement to areas where ur return cannot do the job

Budget constraint? can do this later.. wat i did was i use a plastic tub from Ikea and hook a aqualifter connected to a JBJ auto topup.. problem solved. Total cost is probably only less than $180

again, can wait till u are richer then add.. if ur dosing of supplements can sustain the corals, do that first until u hv enuff money to get this. But a CR is definitely cheaper in the long run

Know why u need to dose Kalk before getting it.

Dun really need an expensive one.. AM does give promotions on Skimz. Local made are just as good.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.