My egg-yolk jellyfish

jOwy

Heyo.. this is my jellyfish that i have reared for about 2 months. Sorry for the really poor quality of the pictures. The jellyfish is caught in sembawang beach. It resembles a lion's mane jellyfish (Cyanea sp.) but lacks strong stings..

post-34-1187077559.jpg

Interesting! Mind sharing with us (with pix even better) how you feed the jellyfish? :thanks:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

You don't need to specially feed Jellyfish, they eat from the water column. What and how your coral feed will be similar to their feeding.

But be careful, once it is stress or dying, it will release toxic which will cause your tank to crashed :ooh::cry:

Think twice if you want to keep :P

haha. thanks for viewing the pictures.. once again, sorry for the poor quality.

Actually, jellyfish are really hard to rear. This one is living in a pseudokriesel tank to keep it afloat. Without a circular current to keep it afloat, it will sink and die. Yet, it must be kept away from suction as it is not strong enough to avoid the suction of pumps. As such, a kriesel tank has to be created.

This jellyfish is non-photosynthetic (does not contain zooxanthellae), so it must be fed everyday. Typically, they feed actively on wild zooplankton. This one is eating freshly hatched artemia. Also, it loves to prey on other jellyfish. So, it is fed with jellyfish and artemia on a daily basis..

haha yeah. jellyfish are actually very beautiful animals. Basically, the two most critically important factors to take note of when rearing them is the tank stucture and diet.

1. Tank. Most jellyfish are unable to pulse themselves up all the time. Eventually, they will sink to the bottom if there is a lack of current. When they sink, they will almost always die. As such, a very special tank is required to keep them. This tank is the kriesel tank. There are many modifications of a kriesel tank and most of them work just as well. This egg yolk is living in a pseudokriesel. Im planning to rear sea nettles in a kriesel tank. I will post a picture of my kriesel tank asap.

The catch is this: Although a current is needed all the time, they MUST be kept away from suction as they will result in a gelatinous blob of lifeless protein. Solution: the kriesel tank.

2. Diet. Jellyfish usually have a very specific diet. In the wild, they feed on wild zooplankton or even other jellyfish. In the aquarium, the brine shrimp (newly hatched) is an okay substitute. They must be substantiated with more nutritious food occasionally though. For example, the egg yolk jellyfish will always show stunted growth when their diet lacks other jellyfish.

Other kind of jellyfish, the more common blue jelly (Catostylus sp.) also require strong light as they have zooxanthellae just like some corals. Feeding is needed too.

One exception is the upside down jellyfish (Cassiopea sp.) where they simply require very strong light and a tank with LOW current and kept away from suction. Feeding is minimal as they obtain most of their nutrients from the zooxanthellae symbiosis.

I will post some pictures of my upside down jellyfish tank soon.. I bred them and there are about 100 plus jellies now =]

hope this helps =]

haha. my dad and my family built it for me since they are dealing in plastics.. it was a really really difficult task though, with many trials again and again. i guess it's worth it when you see the jellyfish pulsing in the tank..

hey.. if you guys spot any wild jellyfish or anyone selling them, can do me a favour by informing me? i'll go and get them =] thanks a huge load..

i used to rear cuttlefish and octopus.. But they always die after around 3 months.. After a while, they will recognize you and come to you. Very fun! haha.