Help on Elegance

klim

• SRC Member

elegance usually collected wrongly from their habitat .. most tend to have some sort of damage already and are dying specimens upon reaching lfs .. but it takes a keen eye to see it ..

if other LPS e.g hammer , frogspawn experience same symptoms

might be a case of low stronium , and cost it to drop their flesh from their skeleton .

just 2cent

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

CR - Deltec pF601s Chiller - Arctica Titanium Commercial Chiller

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

• SRC Member
elegance usually collected wrongly from their habitat .. most tend to have some sort of damage already and are dying specimens upon reaching lfs .. but it takes a keen eye to see it ..

if other LPS e.g hammer , frogspawn experience same symptoms

might be a case of low stronium , and cost it to drop their flesh from their skeleton .

just 2cent

I sold it to him, this elegance have been in my tank more then a yr. Blooming daily but it is not blooming at all. No issue from LFS. But from pic i really dunno wat is happening. Wat is ur water temperture?

Attach is a pic of it.

Maybe some brothers can help explain how to save it.

post-70-1188417385.jpg

• SRC Member

Sorry Kenneth, it did open on the first few days. Attached is the picture.

The water temperature is 26 degrees. have feed it with some market prawn and after that it didn't open up anymore.

Hope it will get well soon. :cry:

post-70-1188433531.jpg

• SRC Member

maybe u should check your KH? personally i think Kh is quite important for elegance coral. I maintain my Kh at least 8. Thru experience, it may also be a very sensitive coral.

• SRC Member

I have not kept elegance before but just some comments... U have got a good specimen from reefer and the fact that it did open in your tank and then become like that.... could it be a sudden change in the enviroment? Your liverock seems a bit pale considering it a reef tank.... Also, u mention about market prawn.... could the size be too big?

U may wish to consider some partial water change using TM reef pro salt.... I have good experience using them. Another thing is to refrain from feeding directly and chunky food.

KennethK: Appreciate if you can share how you care for elegance successfully....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Seriously my kh used to drop til 5 but long time back. Even did light changes from T5 to mh but nothing wrong with it. Never have a problem since the 1st day i got it but then i never feed market prawns to any of my corals. But elegance is delicate creature, think u dun feed it and let it have natural light 1st.

I have bad experience with feeding market prawn to my pratas, big chuck may cause the coral to vomit and shrink. I try to reduce it to smaller size, it can be swallowed without vomit but I after if I just gave up. Just feed my corals with miced meaty food from ML diluted in water and target puring to the tank with wave maker and circulation pump off. I found this better way to feed the coral and reducing stress by try to put market prawn meat into the mouth. I dunno whether this is also apply to elegance.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

feed with small cut prawn. :lol:

Sorry to hijack the thread, how to feed the market prawn? Both my big pratas always vomit after it swallow the wrong size market prawn :lol: so now only target feed with harry reef food. Also when I am trying to put the prawn I always accidently touch it and make it shrink even further.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

• SRC Member

Bro Storm, your Elegance looks really nice...I am leaving the guy on th sand bed and dare not touch it anymore.

Will see how things goes about in 1 -2 weeks before making another decision.

As Bro Kenneth has told me before that he don't feed the corals and they still thrive. Thus, I am going to listen and hope things get better.

Thanks All for the advice. Please keep flowing, so that my next decision can be more precise.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, how to feed the market prawn? Both my big pratas always vomit after it swallow the wrong size market prawn :lol: so now only target feed with harry reef food. Also when I am trying to put the prawn I always accidently touch it and make it shrink even further.

i've got some of my prata spit it out after feeding it not all prata can accept prawn on their 1st meal. stop feeding d prawn but give plankton mix of zoo n phyto carry on 4 1 week than observe d prata reaction wen feeding with plankton.

so after 1 week than start to fed it with prawn a small cut than observe again its reaction.

you don have to follow my theory coz maybe it doesn't work on ur part but if u do by all means. n there r other well known reefers out there tt have a better suggestion. :D

• SRC Member
Bro Storm, your Elegance looks really nice...I am leaving the guy on th sand bed and dare not touch it anymore.

Will see how things goes about in 1 -2 weeks before making another decision.

As Bro Kenneth has told me before that he don't feed the corals and they still thrive. Thus, I am going to listen and hope things get better.

Thanks All for the advice. Please keep flowing, so that my next decision can be more precise.

:thanks:

no problem bro klim do wat is best for the elegance.

goodluck. :peace:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi Bro/Sis/Expert,

Need your help to advise what is happening on my elegance?

:thanks::bow:

i have an avid fan of elegance and have several pieces in my tank. I realised that when you move them regularly they will be susceptible to stress and the first signs are small white particles on the tissue looking like intestines. On other occasions they may be bloated and have white net looking stuff on them.

Have found dipping them in mixture of salt water and tropic marine pro coral cure and it works. siphon the slime gently off their tissues every day till they stop producing.

The most important thing is of course your water parameters and use good skimming and carbon to remove the toxins in the water. perform a water change.

hope it helps.

For all the fellow reefers out there, please do not throw your elegance away on first sign of stress or disease. try the above method first.

Ths

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
another picture...sorry for the quality. :(

What I suggest is that your elegance's tissue seems to be having an infection. Go down to aquamarin (my lfs) at Jln kayu they might be able to "prescript" some medications. But still i hope you're getting along with other corals well. Can you tell me wad you added the Goniopora spp. seems brilliant.

What I suggest is that your elegance's tissue seems to be having an infection. Go down to aquamarin (my lfs) at Jln kayu they might be able to "prescript" some medications. But still i hope you're getting along with other corals well. Can you tell me wad you added the Goniopora spp. seems brilliant.

Wat do you mean " my lfs"??? You are part of Aquamarin :unsure: ?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe