Whats that on my super sun?

MAG

• SRC Member

Dear all.

Sorry pic not very clear. Just wonder is that stuff safe on my super sun? Tried removing it but firmly attached to the rock. So i just scrip it off by smashing it(sorry not very good in discribing) and few days later another smaller one grew.

Questions:

1) So what must i do?

2) Where is the best place to buy super sun?

3) Is there any super yellow sun? So far only saw orange normal sun in lfs eg g.o

4) How much it worth eg my super sun?It has abo 20 poly-big and small.

5) How often do i need to target feed it till it opens automatically and how often i need to feed my corals?

6) Does dosing corals 5 in 1 sufficient?

7) Read in src sm1 suggested place it under high flow. So how can the tantacles capture food?

Thx

post-70-1190769488.jpg

Aptisia.. remove it, how come u let it grow so big or u never notice it when u purchase ur sun??

Sun coral generally can tolerate high flows and they capture planktonic preys in the wild.. but the seawater is loaded with all these planktons and as long as the sun stretch out their "tentacles" they are bound to come in contact with the planktons.

In the tank different.. you barely have some pods crawling on the glass surface.. so you have to target feed them.. prawn meat,bs mysis whatever.. dont need that much light either.. coral 5 etc cant really substain them.

• SRC Member
Aptisia.. remove it, how come u let it grow so big or u never notice it when u purchase ur sun??

Sun coral generally can tolerate high flows and they capture planktonic preys in the wild.. but the seawater is loaded with all these planktons and as long as the sun stretch out their "tentacles" they are bound to come in contact with the planktons.

In the tank different.. you barely have some pods crawling on the glass surface.. so you have to target feed them.. prawn meat,bs mysis whatever.. dont need that much light either.. coral 5 etc cant really substain them.

hi winger24.

thx for responding.

well didnt notice that burger when i bought it. the 1st one was even bigger and i crushed it but this little fellow grown back i guess. wonder what will happen to the sun if never remove it?

hi kareen.

I got it from hong kong. also this yellow one from there too. Not easy to find super sun in sin. went to pris farm but mostly all orange common sun.

Lets see if got any reefer respond to this tread and may be smone will know where to get.

post-70-1190793078.jpg

Hi Mag,

i am not an expert to give advise but just to share,

i got it from the other side of Pasir ris farm area,

i think the LFS have recently close down,

name is Reef en Natural, i think the lady boss have some share on another shop, name not sure H*** something, ever mentioned in the club,

the price is between $15-25 per poly

that piece is more than 10 head cost me 150

GO have some yellow normal sun, just got it few week back, reasonable price.(in the show tank)

i do not target feed, but flood the tank with cyclopee.

and place it under shelther.

thks

post-70-1190799085.jpg

• SRC Member
close up shot

hi sst tang.

nice super sun you got there. yah i saw the one in g.o. bought the normal sun from them to try it out. slowly my normal sun are opening up the poly.

noticed you hv flame angel in your tank. how long already you keep that fellow? will it nip on your prata? different ppl got different opinion on that burger. nice to hv it but afraid it mite attack the corals.

its not easy to find super sun in sin. i got my in hong kong. thats why i asked around whats the prize here cos no point bri back from there and yet its cheaper here.

thx for the info.

hi sst tang.

nice super sun you got there. yah i saw the one in g.o. bought the normal sun from them to try it out. slowly my normal sun are opening up the poly.

noticed you hv flame angel in your tank. how long already you keep that fellow? will it nip on your prata? different ppl got different opinion on that burger. nice to hv it but afraid it mite attack the corals.

its not easy to find super sun in sin. i got my in hong kong. thats why i asked around whats the prize here cos no point bri back from there and yet its cheaper here.

thx for the info.

Hi Mag,

good to hear that your normal sun is opening,

my flame is with me for almost 9 months, got it from another reefer

yes it do nip on my prata, especially when the portion got injured,

but lucky is that this fellow dun alway peck on the prata, once in a while,

further more my 3 prata are those normal type so not very worry.

i was told that i over paid for my super sun, Iwarna do bring in super sun,

and heard is much cheaper, monitor their shipment.

thks

• SRC Member

Go get Joe's Juice.Dun drop on top of the sun or later you can kiss goodbye to them too.

girlone.png

• SRC Member
Go get Joe's Juice.Dun drop on top of the sun or later you can kiss goodbye to them too.

hi angelfishlover.

well my friend taught me to use stringe to shot hot water directly on the atpasia to melt it. i did it when the polys were closed and trully it melted. hopefully it will not grow again.

my common sun has dead poly-brown colour and can see bones/skeleton. will it recover or can say sayonara liao? the rest of the poly are still ok...

• SRC Member

hi angelfishlover.

well my friend taught me to use stringe to shot hot water directly on the atpasia to melt it. i did it when the polys were closed and trully it melted. hopefully it will not grow again.

my common sun has dead poly-brown colour and can see bones/skeleton. will it recover or can say sayonara liao? the rest of the poly are still ok...

I don't know whether the sun will be okay or not especially around the area of the atpisia... in due time, MAG u will know....

Actually personally I feel the natural predator is the best solution and don't know why everyone here always recommend the brutal force method....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

I don't know whether the sun will be okay or not especially around the area of the atpisia... in due time, MAG u will know....

Actually personally I feel the natural predator is the best solution and don't know why everyone here always recommend the brutal force method....

maybe you are a gentle woman and we man are brutal force beast, LOL.

Man prefer to settle with our own ways and woman leans on man to settle for them. LOL

Guys! Hit that bugger! Slam his face! I want to see blood! Blood shrimp la.

• SRC Member

maybe you are a gentle woman and we man are brutal force beast, LOL.

Man prefer to settle with our own ways and woman leans on man to settle for them. LOL

Guys! Hit that bugger! Slam his face! I want to see blood! Blood shrimp la.

:lol: u r humorous... :D

• SRC Member

hi kareen.

what do you mean by natural predator? izit introduce fish that will eat that monster?

initially i thought that burger is one of the super sun poly which just newly grown. lucky i post in the web and also ask some expert on it.

did you manage to get some suns? heard g.o hv the common sun and personally i prefer super sun cos tantacles also out without target feed.

im still learning to keep the sun. hopefully will succeed cos the colour really sososo beautiful-im a sucker for bright colour stuffs..

• SRC Member

Copperband butterflyfish also can but since sunnies look like aiptasia too i guess they will peck on it.If you got zoanthids in ur tank say goodbye to them if you introduce copperband.That is the onli common predator sold at Singapore.

girlone.png

• SRC Member

Hi!

Sorry too engross in other threads that I miss out this....

what do you mean by natural predator? izit introduce fish that will eat that monster?

Yes, there are many... search this forum will give u the answer liao.

did you manage to get some suns? heard g.o hv the common sun and personally i prefer super sun cos tantacles also out without target feed.

I do have common sunnies in my tank but not the super sun.... I heard that super suns are much easier than the common ones. To be frank, although I can get the my sunnies opened real big (full polys extention), I do not have the confident that they will survive in my tank over a long period of time. I can see some white skirting in between the polys which was not there before.. I think some parts of the sunnies did not get enough of the food due to the facing. I am doing my best to see whether they can recover or not....

IMO, atpisia do not progate that fast if only you leave them alone. They grow bigger over time but will not reproduce. Many times, I believe the reefers knows it's bad and try to kill them and end up having more and more.

Also, one thing I wish to highlight is that the stinking of atpisia will not kill a coral overnight but those unnatural method will if care are not exercise....

Copperband butterflyfish also can but since sunnies look like aiptasia too i guess they will peck on it.If you got zoanthids in ur tank say goodbye to them if you introduce copperband.That is the onli common predator sold at Singapore.

I have kept 2 to 3 copperband before, I have not observed pecking on zoos apart from few occassion when something happen to be there... Copperband is actually helping you to clear the parasites.... I do see few occassions that my blue tang attack on zoos instead of copperband....

actually simple, jus stick epoxy over the aiptasia and it will be gone for good..

why waste the effort and money to hunt for pepper shrimps and CB(copperband)

Personal preferences perhaps.... I do not mind having some of those to keep things in tact. That's why I bought a copperband and sixlines.