Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

U need to list down what are the heat generators in your tank as the first step to determine what is the proper chiller size..... Eg.

open top tank with 300W MH -> add 150W else add 300W

return pump ??? W

etc

etc

Use the JBJ link to get rough estimate of the horse power. Then co-relate the output graph of the interest chiller to JBJ chiller, etc.... I believe u know leh... no need to elaborate....

PS: not too sure about the starmax air con chiller though...

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Under normal condition, I think a quater hp chiller should be sufficient.... but do take due consideration about brands. Personally, I have used cl650 before and now I am using a lower hp daeli chiller.... ;)

• SRC Member
Under normal condition, I think a quater hp chiller should be sufficient.... but do take due consideration about brands.  Personally, I have used cl650 before and now I am using a lower hp daeli chiller....  ;)

your tank is 4ft, while his is 5ft and higher. A lot of difference. If he use CL650, he will sure curse you, LOL

• SRC Member

your tank is 4ft, while his is 5ft and higher. A lot of difference. If he use CL650, he will sure curse you, LOL

I didn't ask him to get a quater chiller... I told him to calculate his load first... Then I say under normal condition which means with $$$ mind... If one has that in mind, one will optimise his system and thereby a quater chiller should be enough.

I did it with a lower hp than a quater. With MH on, the chiller kick about an hour and without MH, it kicks in more than an hour later (possibly 2 to 3, I didn't time exactly)....

PS: My tank temperature is about 27.5 to 28.5.

• SRC Member

Just for your references....

open top tank :

2 * 150w MH + 27w PL

1 20w flourscent to cover some darker area

1 m820

1 koralia 1

1 5w pump just to cover a small area of dead spot

1 1262 ehiem for return ###### chiller

1 auqabee 3000x for skimmer

Southpaw, what is the chiller that I bought from you? can't remember the hp liao...

worst case MH on, it is chiller on 1 hour and off 1 hour.... roughly about 50% cycle time.. tank temp swing between 27.5 to 28.5.

PS: tank is at balcony.

• SRC Member

The key here is to find out

- how long it takes to cool your tank temp by 1 degree

- how long it takes to kick in

All these is closely couple with equipments and surrounding...

Roughly the jbj website will give a spec that their chiller is capable of working.... probably about 60% duty cycle (or more I don't know). I played with the paramenters to find out how much it takes to rolled to the next level... Take note of those numbers is the key to know what is the tolerance level.

• SRC Member

Sorry, I'm no expert. So this is just from my layman's perspective. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :bow:

Last time I also used to think that the kick-in:standby ratio of 1:1 is OK. But ever since I upgraded my chiller, I found that it is actually possible to have a much better ratio.

Now my chiller works for about 20 minutes to bring temperature down from 26.5 to 25.5 deg C. This is with MH 250Wx2 & T5 54Wx4 & Ehiem 1262 & 1060 & skimmer & K3, etc, running. Then it rest for about 2 hours (I think) before it starts again.

I think it rest even longer at night but I didn't stay up to monitor. :P

My total tank & sump volume is about 500 litres (130 gallons).

This is just my experience. :)

• SRC Member

Hi William!

Nice to hear from you.... I have read your tank thread before.. very nice. I am no expert as well... please do correct me when I am wrong. I welcome all comments 'cos only then I will learn.

My question is that :

what make you think that having less than 1:1 ratio is better?

The advantage I see at the moment is more rest time for chiller. I will be paying probably the same amount of electrical bill. I do not think the startup surge will be significant enough to more than $5 under normal condition ratio of kick in. But purchasing a higher hp chiller cost more upfront by a certain amount of a few hundreds.... er... do u need me describe further from here?

• SRC Member

Just attach a calculation from jbj to show I didn't guess the hp for a 5 footer... Whether acceptable or not is up to one decision.

PS: I input 600W of lightings with ventilation....

post-17-1191231507.jpg

• SRC Member
Hi William!

Nice to hear from you.... I have read your tank thread before.. very nice.  I am no expert as well...  please do correct me when I am wrong.  I welcome all comments 'cos only then I will learn.

My question is that :

what make you think that having less than 1:1 ratio is better?

The advantage I see at the moment is more rest time for chiller.  I will be paying probably the same amount of electrical bill.  I do not think the startup surge will be significant enough to more than $5 under normal condition ratio of kick in.  But purchasing a higher hp chiller cost more upfront by a certain amount of a few hundreds....  er... do u need me describe further from here?

Hi kareen, thank you for your compliments. :peace:

There are so many things I don't know about reefing that I'm finding new things to learn all the time. :lol:

By the way, thanks for sharing the JBJ chiller calculation site. I didn't know about it. I Googled and found the actual site URL. Tried it and thought it was very interesting. Would be even better if they included a recommendation for the optimum pump flow rate as well as an estimated time to chill the tank to the desired temperature. Now that would be great! :idea:

To answer your question, I felt that it is better because the longer rest means the compressor doesn't need to work as hard. At least for me, that means less electricity consumption which translates to savings. This is the obvious tangible benefit. But I believe there could be other intangible benefits too. For example, longer compressor life. And for reefers with chillers in the house, a more comfortable environment.

But I do agree with you and can see your point that the initial investment may not be justifiable. This decision is best made by the reefer depending on many factors -- both tangible and intangible. For some, a comfortable environment (or a nagging spouse :lol::ph34r: ) might just be reason enough to sway the choice one way or the other.

Thanks for sharing. Cheers. :)

• SRC Member

In your opinion, worst case of 1 hr work and 1 hr rest is not good? Hm... I thought it was okay.... As for yours, I think it is a bit lax 'cos 20/120 min equal 17% only.... Imagine u pay someone to work only 17% of time... It's like overpaying that guy. :D

PS: Why I say is okay is b'cos the worst case last only 6 hours for my case. This roughly translate to kick in 3 times at most... when compare to 1 or 2 times of yours... See my point here? ;)

• SRC Member
It might be safer to get 1 size up. There might be weeks where our climate might be horribly hot.....

For this part, one must know the tolerance level when doing the sizing calculation. This should take care of the hot days.