Help! Leopard Wrasse Being Beaten Up by 6 lines!

Hi all,

I recently introduced a nice Leopard Wrasse into my 8.5x1.5x1.5 mixed reef tank thinking it would be safe from other fish with the numerous hiding places.

I was quite wrong. The moment it was in the tank, it was immediately set upon by my 3 six-line wrasses. It was chased from end to end, found, chased again, beaten up till its fins were torn.... I've never seen such aggression.... Even when it lay panting, it was still beaten up. I thought it was a goner but saw tha it was still alive after 3 days - a miracle.... :blink:

I went to buy another leopard wrasse today to try to dilute the aggression but the other one was also relentlessly chased around, dunno what got into these six-lines.... :angry:

What should I do next? I can't catch any fish as all my rockwork are epoxied and crowded with corals.

Add some more leopard wrasse?? There are non left from where I bought them... :erm::cry::(

• SRC Member

wah... amitaba.... think of the good thing that others wrasses may not offer... just forget about other wrasses lor.... they are okay with no other wrasses only mah.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

Suggest you just trap the sixline wrasses out with a fish trap and give them away.

Surprising your sixlines has considered your large tank its entire territory. In large tanks aggression is diluted with enough LR for hiding places. Maybe its because you have 3! One is quite enough for a tank. Two is a handful and three..... errr....

Don't add any more wrasses into your tank... its not the answer.

Forgot to add... you have to study the nature of your livestock before buying them. A little study goes a long way in preventing a lot of heartache and destruction.

A tip is to put your new fish in a container and float it for a few days for your existing fishes to get used to it first. They will be less prone to attacking it later.

• SRC Member

Maybe remove the nudi using hand first and see whether situation is under control or not.... I don't think leopard wrasse will eat nudi if sixlines don't... afterall they are under the wrasse species..

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

Ahhhhh!!! Good advice here....betta box....study fish traits in advance.... will try to do that next time. Where to buy betta box? Izit with many compartments or just one? :eyeblur:

That depends on the size of the fish. You may have to modify the 'floor'of the trap for feeding purposes. I put a sheet of clear plastic to prevent food from falling through the trap (but it also helps the tank residents to come up close to the fish and inspect the newcomer while snacking).

The betta box acclimatization process is also good for getting the fish used to seeing you up close and associating you with food! :)

• SRC Member

what u can do is wait till night when all ur fishes are sleeping then on the lights to stun them, then pick them out with your hand, best to wear a glove:) but u must obseve where each of them is hiding. either that or u can just put in a lionfish, let it eat up the wrasses then sell the lionfish away:)

• SRC Member
8.5' x 1.5' x 1.5' n your leopard wrasse is being chased.

Personal experience, gave away my when I notice it started eating my shrimps

holy cow. Thats what I call a real baddy. Why didnt you place it together with a large snapping shrimp? Educate it, LOL

• SRC Member

Yeah I had my six line attacking both of my cleaner shrimp after 1 week in the tank, n 1 of them gone up the lorry. Bought it clear the unwanted pest in the tank at first n it attacked my cleaner. But dun know lucky or not it is missing for 4 days now after in the tank for more than 1 mth, think get eaten up by my crab.

Anyone know what fish can attack n kill the crab got food, I got a big red one

• SRC Member
Yeah I had my six line attacking both of my cleaner shrimp after 1 week in the tank, n 1 of them gone up the lorry. Bought it clear the unwanted pest in the tank at first n it attacked my cleaner. But dun know lucky or not it is missing for 4 days now after in the tank for more than 1 mth, think get eaten up by my crab.

Any fish that eat crab will definitely eat your shrimps. Trust me.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

I think your wrasse knows your motive. Better missing than be punished. LOL

Not every fish able to eat your crab can eat your shrimp. If your shrimp is damn big, this fish will run, LOL. Joking bro.