Spiny blue Lobster - easy to keep?

• SRC Member

Yes yes!! They're pretty easy to keep.. Just make sure that you have lots and lots of 'caves' within your rock structure for them to hide and establish themselves in!!

And during feedin time, I just take a small piece of shrimp, dip it in vitamin solution, and just dangle it in front of them.. They will dash out to grab their food!!

I kept them without any problem for quite awhile until well, I went to Korea for tour last year and neglected them (Really felt bad about it.. Wouldn't wanna take a chance like that again) ..

Do try them out.. I kept them in a species ony tank.. 5 of them..

• SRC Member

:) Hahaha yah yah.. of course.. I meant just cut an appropriately sized piece of shrimp or prawn and dangle it in front of the lobsters.. not above the tank.. they'll come out and grab the fish when they're settled in.. Do this after the lobsters are settled in.. like in 1 or 2 days after introducing them..

Hey remember... Having lots of caves is important.. the beautiful blue lobsters need them..

I thinking to just have one 1st, cos got a small antenna (abt 2in). no problem rite? Must get more than 1 meh?

R you refering to the lobster below? It is quite easy to keep as it do feed on frozen Mysis Shrimps and should not be a problem with your 2 inches Antenna cos the normal size in LFS is about there.

Saw some of them at Halus next to R**F W**ld. Just arrive last nite in the morning.

I thinking to just have one 1st, cos got a small antenna (abt 2in). no problem rite? Must get more than 1 meh?

R you refering to the lobster below? It is quite easy to keep as it do feed on frozen Mysis Shrimps and should not be a problem with your 2 inches Antenna cos the normal size in LFS is about there.

Saw some of them at Halus next to R**F W**ld. Just arrive last nite in the morning.

post-8-1068879568.jpg

• SRC Member

R**f W**ld got a lot? Any idea on the pricing? :thanks::thanks:

I saw the exact same one in Sipadan...except maybe a hundred times this size! :)

Just be careful to watch your water quality... lobsters produce a lot of urea... in a small tank, that's bad news.

• SRC Member

Hey.. Yeah.. Just a word of advice these lobsters can grow to be really really big and are even really fit for consumption.. Yeap there are lots of their recepies online.. :mellow:

Anyway.. They do, however.. take a long long time to grow that big lah so no worries... yet.. Hehe..

DrJekyl...your lobster you passed to me died liao...found it dead today next to its exoskeleton..probably died during the process of moulting...the small zebra hermits were scavenging on it... :cry2:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
DrJekyl...your lobster you passed to me died liao...found it dead today next to its exoskeleton..probably died during the process of moulting...the small zebra hermits were scavenging on it... :cry2:

My condolences. :bow: BTW, any idea how often do lobsters molt?

• 2 weeks later...