Garlic Extract

Creetin

Garlic extract = Squeeze garlic till you get the juices out.

:)

Ok ok... if you want a more detailed way to do it... get a garlic press... a tong like kitchen thing that you can pop in a few pieces of the garlic clove... make sure you peel the garlic skin off first... then squeeze to crush the garlic... don't sweat if you see mush coming out... scoop out the mushy bits... put it back into the garlic press (hope that's what it's called)... with a bit of water... and then squeeze it again... repeat process until no more juice can come out... if you get a few pieces of garlic into the bowl of garlic juice its fine... sometimes the fishes may eat it.

If you wish to save time... just get the Seachem Garlic Guard.

I used to go to the pharmacy to get the Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract... one tiny bottle costs a bomb.

AT

• SRC Member

what i do is, i pound the garlic after adding a few drops of water into the pounder and start pounding away.. then drain the garlic "juice" into a container where i melt my mysis shrimps or brine shrimps., stirred it and leave it for 5 mins before feeding..

now, another question that i have to those who feeds garlic juice... will constant feeding of such food leads to the ick being immune to it?? i thought that it might become like the bacteria in our bodies that have become immune to the anti-biotics given out by the doctors... what u think guys..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

hmm....guys, what does the garlic juice use for??

can i pour directly into the tank without mixing with any food?

I know some people in the states who do that... and I have done it myself too when I had a very bad spell of marine velvet outbreak with new fishes that I bought....

Honestly, I don't think it's a very safe thing to do... I dun mind the smell... but it's better to just soak the food in garlic juice and not pour it into the water direct.

Note that you will have an oil film on the water surface after that.

• SRC Member
hmm....guys, what does the garlic juice use for??

can i pour directly into the tank without mixing with any food?

IMO, it is not really that effective as compared to mixing it with the food.. coz food soaked in the garlic juice will be consumed by the fishes and helps them to built up the immunity to fight the disease...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
now, another question that i have to those who feeds garlic juice... will constant feeding of such food leads to the ick being immune to it?? i thought that it might become like the bacteria in our bodies that have become immune to the anti-biotics given out by the doctors... what u think guys..

any replies, guys???

• SRC Member
:huh:

how often do u guys feed your fish with "shrimp w garlic juice" ?

would it be a good idea to mix some garlic juice with shrimp and freeze it again....? :P

well, i'm worried abt the disease getting immune to the treatment, so, i only use it when the fishes are down with ick... which, have not seen it recurring for 3 yrs..

i would rather go for the fresh extracted juices if possible.. a bit more work, but i think it is much better than stored juice, which i think might lose it effectiveness..

• SRC Member

I've been feeding my fishes with Kent Marine Garlic Extract and seems to work well. Finicky feeders will be attracted easily to the garlic soaked brine shrimps.

Never heard of people using fresh garlic juices to feed fishes.

Is this safe or just another way to save money ?

Don't want to stink my fingers before a hot date.....