Invertebrates

Phang

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Hope to gather knowledge from here regarding the many kinds of invertebrates and how they affect our reef systems... got to recognize them as either friend or foe.... WHY???

Coz I saw a lettuce nudibranch in my tank once.... took it out and remove it ... then later found out that it is a excellent algae controller...ARRRGHHHH!!!!!!! :angry::(

Won't make that mistake if I have known... so think this topic should be great help to many of us...

Maybe also can post pics to help identify this critters.... :D

Phang

• SRC Member
Hi All,

Hope to gather knowledge from here regarding the many kinds of invertebrates and how they affect our reef systems... got to recognize them as either friend or foe.... WHY???

Coz I saw a lettuce nudibranch in my tank once.... took it out and remove it ... then later found out that it is a excellent algae controller...ARRRGHHHH!!!!!!! :angry::(

Won't make that mistake if I have known... so think this topic should be great help to many of us...

Maybe also can post pics to help identify this critters.... :D

Phang

Don't get irritated about the nudibranch. They are notoriously hard to identify and differentiate. I thought the lettuce nudi is from Caribbean? Anyway, a good ophistobranch site would be www.seaslugforum.net but beware, it is very hard to find the exact slug you want.

This FAQ site for hitchhikers is also pretty good:

http://reefs.org/hhfaq/

I had a lettuce nudibrach in my tank once.. i kept it for a few weeks but after I found out that it was a culprit after eating all my turtleweed algae... out it went!

It produced a lot of thick mucus when it gets disturbed... really yucky!