eden selrotating powerhead

RMX

For those who create waves or aerate the water using multiple heads, eden now has a line of powerheads that are selfrotating. i think the output can swing abt 90deg. petmart has 2 models, eden 214(500lph) and eden 228(1000lph), $30 and $40 respectively. using the 228 now, happy the way its working as a wave maker.

edenph.jpg

IME.... they suck. Once the rotating head gets clogged with coralline algae, green algae or slime or calcium deposits, they stop rotating.

They are better suited for FW.

I had the 228... big, ugly and stopped working in a few weeks. It's pain to take out the powerhead every month to go and scrub it. After some time, I didn't get bother... and threw it away.

• SRC Member
IME.... they suck. Once the rotating head gets clogged with coralline algae, green algae or slime or calcium deposits, they stop rotating.

They are better suited for FW.

I had the 228... big, ugly and stopped working in a few weeks. It's pain to take out the powerhead every month to go and scrub it. After some time, I didn't get bother... and threw it away.

yup.. tried it.. and like what AT had mentioned, it dun really work after it gets clogged up with algae.. which i had saved the money and pay a bit more to get myself a better powerhead instead..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Have a 214 in my Nano. Yeah, gotta admit that they do require frequent maintenance and cleaning to prevent stoppage and to add to the woes, the rubber suckers harden after a period of usage and loose their suction. Not to condemn it but those prepared for the extra work will however find that it does serves its function better than a normal powerhead that delivers a "one-direction" flow.

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah... due to the unit being very heavy, weakened suckers will give way after time... and cause the powerhead to drop down... IMO very dangerous... it nearly damaged my corals a few times... once.... it churned up my sandbed coz it fell nozzle down.

Hmmm.... I think I will move this to the Product Review Section since it became 'reviewed' thoroughly!!!!

I think it can be the conclusion for this product! I for seen all of the below mentioned happening to mine Eden. And it did injure at least 2 of my corals as a result of dropping down due to harden suckers. And another possibility is that it can drop and the nozzle "heng-heng" point directly at one of your coral and the current can injure that coral (which happened once to my torch coral and it never open as big again..). But to be fair to this powerhead, it is really useful when u have limited space and do not have the luxury of 3-4 powerheads to create the random current.

• SRC Member

I think the hardening sucker problem happens to all powerheads that use them. The sucker material is not adapted for saltwater applications. Only solution I see now is to use a mount or glue the powerhead down.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Exactly! What I did for mine was to buy a small magnet algae scrubber, silicone the powerhead bracket (minus all the suckers) to one side of it and let it set for a day or two. After that, stick it into the tank.

Few advantages;

You can have a more stable and lasting hold on your powerhead.

You can make adjustments to the position of the powerhead (left right up down) without having to get your hands wet.

It can be "Quick detached" for cleaning. No need to pry at the suckers to get them to loosen.

• SRC Member

I was thinking of 2 of these for my mains.....

Is there anyway where we can cover the rotating portion with some flexible vinyl.. therfore preventing Coralline Algae from covering the moving parts???

Stenopus,

Your idea with the Magnet's very innovative.....Will go with that if Iever get the Eden......

• SRC Member
Exactly! What I did for mine was to buy a small magnet algae scrubber, silicone the powerhead bracket (minus all the suckers) to one side of it and let it set for a day or two. After that, stick it into the tank.

Few advantages;

You can have a more stable and lasting hold on your powerhead.

You can make adjustments to the position of the powerhead (left right up down) without having to get your hands wet.

It can be "Quick detached" for cleaning. No need to pry at the suckers to get them to loosen.

i think need a big and strong magnet to go with it...also, take note of the suction base... especially if u have anemones.. mine got churn into pieces..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
The old 228 model did not come with a filter sponge and one fine day my 1 year Mandarin happily went pecking there and got sucked in and out came blended Mandarin juices.

Honestly, I'm about to junk it away and maybe go buy a Aquabee from Hong Leong.

Been using the 228 for more than a month so far and it seems to rotate at a lesser angle now. My mandarin (RIP) also got sucked in and bye bye already. The sponge filter is just to huge to use.

Better secure my 228 now that a few of you guys experienced the "killer litter" thing on your poor corals.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it does happen today while I am at work! :blink:

• SRC Member
price?

well for the remaining 2 pieces, the 3000l going for $130 and the 2000l(pressureized one) going for $115. This is indeed a good price, very difficult to get such low price for such a good pump. BTW the power consumption for these pump are as follow

3000l - 45w

2000l(pressureized) - 38w

2000l - 18w

heard Patrick say he bring in just to test water, after these 2 pieces are gone, future batch will be of different prices.

• SRC Member

apart from the pumps that CT is offering .....

is there any use to those add on that can revolve when connected to the pump .... RIO has 1 ... i think .... saw alot of LFS in HK has them in the tank for creating some forms of current ... at least it is not direct impact ....

comments

• SRC Member

is there any use to those add on that can revolve when connected to the pump .... RIO has 1 ...  i think .... saw alot of LFS in HK has them in the tank for creating some forms of current ... at least it is not direct impact ....

comments

mv3i

are u talking abt this??

halfinchnew.gif

this 1/2" model cost USD119.95 and is not available locally (i think). also someone is planning a DIY for it in the DIY forum :unsure:

• SRC Member

is there any use to those add on that can revolve when connected to the pump .... RIO has 1 ... i think .... saw alot of LFS in HK has them in the tank for creating some forms of current ... at least it is not direct impact ....

comments

to reduce the impact, perhaps can have something in front of the outflow to reduce the impact?

mv3i

are u talking abt this??

halfinchnew.gif

this 1/2" model cost USD119.95 and is not available locally (i think). also someone is planning a DIY for it in the DIY forum :unsure:

That is a Seaswirl... another very expensive random current making device.

You do need to connect it to your main pump and to your main returns. Some use it on their closed loops.

It is not a powerhead. It just merely directs your water flow using a motor that rotates the nozzle.