Longnose Hawkfish

Creetin

• SRC Member

I just bought my second LNH 2 days ago from Chinatown. My first committed Sucide. Found it dried on the floor after work. Yes, it has the tendency to jump out if there are large fish in the tank that will chase it. Other than this problem, it is an excellent and beautiful fish. My 2 days old LNH can even swim up to the surface and peck silversides from my hand! It loves to eat silversides and mysis shrimps. It also like to perch on leather corals and fans. A brillant fish to watch as it skid from rock to rock.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

u dun really need a coral or LR to let it perch on... it will seek out the best place to rest and get a bird eyes view of the surroundings... may i know how much u guys pay for it.. i was quote many times ard $15-18 each

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

The LNH is one of the hardiest fish around.

My 1 year old fellow started off as 1 inch and now almost double its size.

Favourite resting place is on top of one of the powerheads.

The rest of my hawkfish, like Red-Banded Hawkfish, Pixie Hawkfish and Skunk hawk like to roam on the sand bed.

Interesting.... how long were they together?

I read in RC that the longest time that a hawkfish resisted eating tankmate shrimps was a year and a half. That was just one fella. The rest are commonly eaten with a few weeks or months.

• SRC Member

hawkfish will definitely eat your shrimps one way or another.. my 2 spotted hawks whacked all my cleaner and camel shrimps.. sigh...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
hi guys, the LNH has such a small mouth how issit possible to eat shrimps? anyway i wana add a coral banded shrimp...will the LNH eat it too? :rolleyes:

You have such a small mouth, how do you eat a cow?

The hawkfishes will mutilate a shrimp bit by bit. Quite cool to watch the helpless shrimp getting whacked. B)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Actually it is quite fun as Tanzy has said.

Once in a while, i'll buy those freshwater prawns (meant for feeding luohans type) and throw the whole lot into the tank.

then you can see what is all hell break loose.

yup, i know what u mean.. even my pigs (foxface, blue tang and PT) will whack them.. sigh...

• SRC Member
no not necessarily

I have a LNH in my tank

and I have 3 boxers together with it

nothing has happened to it till date

and everything is pretty fine :)

your LNH decided to have a change of diet?? so lucky.. wish i have that..sigh..

i think such hawk behaviour varies from fish to fish n of cos it depends on their indi sizes...

In my reef tank...i have a pair of flame hawks...have yet to witness them eating my shrimps...though my banded did loose one of its claws once...then again...not too sure if the hawks did it.

While in my other tank i have a LNH...mine thats a ripper man! It steals live FW shrimps from my lion...and grips the shrimp tightly within its small mouth...n shake/ tear/ swallow it.

If u ask me if its nice 2 watch? well...i guess its an accquired taste. :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member

i was thinking since the coral banded is so fierce, i might get away wif it i add the coral banded first den the LNH later. hehe...

anyway from wat i see, no LNH ever decided to eat a CBS? or are there any incidents u guys experienced?

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11