A new beginning

wilsontantw

After 1 month of not-touching the tank (but i did some very minor shifting of corals due to toppling by irritating crabs!), finally the tank is stabilised.

New addition:

Copperband to control aiptasia

Tunze 6025

RIP:

Maxima Clam (just when i thought it was growing, one day, i suddenly found the flesh not opening fully. And before i could react, it was gone. Quickly remove it from the tank to prevent further spreading... but within the week, both my purple firefish gone (one after another).

FTS: 21 May 2008

post-13920-1211300699.jpg

While i'm thinking of reducing my carbon footprint, i was also considering to upgrade to a 4 footer... but keeping fish + softies and one multi-layered Montipora plate (the red one).

The plan is to reduce width of the tank.

From 2.5x2x2 (10 sqft) to a 4x1.5x2 (12 sqft)

Only an increase of 2sqft but the length is almost doubled (better for my YT/BT who are growing up fast). And i also have plans to add more fish (maybe 1 or 2 more tangs)

Also planning to do up a full height cabinet (as CEO is not very happy with all the mess in the house).

Does anyone has any recommendation to keep this cost to the lowest??

Please feel free to PM me your tank maker for costs + setup.

Am planning to do a 4' with EOF.

the EOF is planned to be on the RHS on the tank. This is so i can get either a tunze wavebox or vortec to simulate wave motion.

Thanks a million!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member

Theres no such thing as keeping costs low lah for a 4 footer bro, lightings alone for T5s are 54watts each tube. Main thing thats gonna suck electricity is the chiller, ur CL650 wont be able to do the job well. Current wave makers and return pimps ur're using will have to be upgraded to stronger ones or u'll get lots of dead spots around the tank n the list just goes on. In short, ur CEO wont be impressed bout the additional bills and money needed for upgrading.

Anyway up to u, one moment u say wanna save electricity next moment u wanna upgrade i cant keep up with u liao haha. Have fun bro need help call mua~

• 7 months later...
are u using MH? im planning to try a montipora, but scared my flourescent cannot supplement its lighting requirement

Dude, you're reviving my 'cobbed-web' thread... haha. (It's been over 8 months since i last updated my thread).

i was thinking of posting my latest update, but didn't get down to transfering pix from camera to PC.

haha...

anyway, yes, i'm using MH. FL i doubt is sufficient for montis. Min u need is T5.

Btw, my lightset is a solite dunno which model. It's got 250W DE MH (14kk) + 2xT5 (True actinic + Blue Plus) + 2xled moonlight.

Oh yes, i'd decommed my SPS for a few months already, sold some and pass some to other reefer friends. (save $$ on lighting + supplements).

It's now just a LSF tank (LPS + Softies + Fish).

:)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer
Dude, you're reviving my 'cobbed-web' thread... haha. (It's been over 8 months since i last updated my thread).

i was thinking of posting my latest update, but didn't get down to transfering pix from camera to PC.

haha...

anyway, yes, i'm using MH. FL i doubt is sufficient for montis. Min u need is T5.

Btw, my lightset is a solite dunno which model. It's got 250W DE MH (14kk) + 2xT5 (True actinic + Blue Plus) + 2xled moonlight.

Oh yes, i'd decommed my SPS for a few months already, sold some and pass some to other reefer friends. (save $$ on lighting + supplements).

It's now just a LSF tank (LPS + Softies + Fish).

Hi correction, sorry. Im using 2 white T5s and 2 actinic. T5 is 39W each, so total is 78W. Actinic i not sure but i got 2. haha...anyway...love montipora alot. But will only attempt with MH.

Hi correction, sorry. Im using 2 white T5s and 2 actinic. T5 is 39W each, so total is 78W. Actinic i not sure but i got 2. haha...anyway...love montipora alot. But will only attempt with MH.

T5s are okie if the montis are near to the light source. (this is based on theory).

4x39W should suffice for T5s. But it also depends on how long is the photoperiod.

I would suggest a min of 10hrs.

You can try buying a small frag and try from there. But do ensure you've got enuff calcium... they are Ca suckers!

hope it helps.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

During the 8 months while im away from SRC, i did some changes to the tank...

1) Shifted it's location (3rd time within the year)

2) Give it a new look. woo hoo...

3) Traded SPS for other lower-maintenance corals.

Sold away a couple of fish that out grew the tank and bought several new ones.

Here's where the tank used to be (the translucent one was it's first location), and it's 2nd location.

post-13920-1232735467.jpg

And i believe this will be it's final location and built a cabinet over it, that comes with a new hood.

post-13920-1232735483.jpg

With this, also created a new storage area, everything is now so well hidden, wife is happy. In fact, i think the money is very well-spent.

post-13920-1232735494.jpg

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer
During the 8 months while im away from SRC, i did some changes to the tank...

1) Shifted it's location (3rd time within the year)

2) Give it a new look. woo hoo...

3) Traded SPS for other lower-maintenance corals.

Sold away a couple of fish that out grew the tank and bought several new ones.

Here's where the tank used to be (the translucent one was it's first location), and it's 2nd location.

post-13920-1232735467.jpg

And i believe this will be it's final location and built a cabinet over it, that comes with a new hood.

post-13920-1232735483.jpg

With this, also created a new storage area, everything is now so well hidden, wife is happy. In fact, i think the money is very well-spent.

Very nice and neat. All my chemicals and additives dump in sump tank. Messy everything -.-

In the mean time, i've sold on Reggie the Regal Tang.

post-13920-1232736498.jpg

Little Reggie has been with me for almost 1 year, and he grew from a 20c coin size baby to a full grown (6") adult.

He's now happily staying in a "bungalow".

In replacement of him, came Pablo the Powder Brown Tang, and came PoPo the Purple Tang and Colin the Kole Tang (hard to get a good pix of him).

Here's PaBlo with dr. wrasse (wrasse been with me for over 1 year, it eats nori too!)

post-13920-1232736464.jpg

Popo

post-13920-1232736478.jpg

Frederick the Flame Angel - look at the strip patterns (it's still in 'confinement', already feeding pellets now.)

post-13920-1232736636.jpg

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

bro

can pm me how much you spend on the cabinet? thanks

Dude, pls let me check with the contractor first... coz this was a 'one-off' thing that he kinda helped me, out of favour.

If he's comfortable, i'll post his price.

Hint: it's not 4-digit.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Very nice and neat. All my chemicals and additives dump in sump tank. Messy everything -.-

Thanks Lemon boy, i also think it's a lot neater this way. The best part is, i used to have a lot of rubbish all over the house... now everything and i mean everything!!! is hidden in the cabinet. Shiok. All equipment are also kept nicely, neatly, orderly. Hehe...

My wife was the first person to clap when it was done. Luckily we are not that pan-tang (superstitous), coz this cabinet was constructed while she was 8 months pregnant. (she's since given birth to a healthy boy... he's going to 1 month in 5 days time!).

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Hey! Congrats on the newborn! Nice to know that now everything is neat and tidy. Even better with wifey's approval. :eyebrow:

thanks bro.

i think kiddo's going to inherit this hobby. :)

Everytime he cries, i'll carry him to the tank and he stops! Amazing.

He keeps staring at the tank, though im not sure what he really sees... but it sure has a calming effect on him.

So, now i can keep my tank in peace. And my boy's going LFSing with me when he learns to walk!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer
Thanks Lemon boy, i also think it's a lot neater this way. The best part is, i used to have a lot of rubbish all over the house... now everything and i mean everything!!! is hidden in the cabinet. Shiok. All equipment are also kept nicely, neatly, orderly. Hehe...

My wife was the first person to clap when it was done. Luckily we are not that pan-tang (superstitous), coz this cabinet was constructed while she was 8 months pregnant. (she's since given birth to a healthy boy... he's going to 1 month in 5 days time!).

Haha lemon boy!!! CUTE NAME!! :) CONGRATS on ur healthy baby boy!!!! and NICE flame angel. Wanted to get one today also, but need to settle my coral beauty and his aggressive temperament first. Maybe i should get a cupboard.....;)

Haha lemon boy!!! CUTE NAME!! :) CONGRATS on ur healthy baby boy!!!! and NICE flame angel. Wanted to get one today also, but need to settle my coral beauty and his aggressive temperament first. Maybe i should get a cupboard.....;)

if you have a contractor, you should ask him to build a 'skin-over' cabinet for you. It wraps over my existing stand and made it flushed to both walls. So now it looks like part of my deco. I also replaced my existing hood (which has a small design flaw).

The guy who built my cabinet gave me a really good price, but it's more of a favour thing.

I will check with him after CNY to see if he wishes to do for others.

Whats ur tank size? any reference to your tank thread?

And i love the Flame too. Pretty Unique stripes, i counted around 8 stripes on each side. maybe i'm ignorant, but i dun think i ever saw a flame with more than 5 or 6 stripes.

Actually i have a coral beauty too, now im putting the flame to 'show' the coral beauty... so far not sure if they'll fight. But if coral bullies the flame, it's very obvious who i'll keep and who has to go.

muahahaha.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer
if you have a contractor, you should ask him to build a 'skin-over' cabinet for you. It wraps over my existing stand and made it flushed to both walls. So now it looks like part of my deco. I also replaced my existing hood (which has a small design flaw).

The guy who built my cabinet gave me a really good price, but it's more of a favour thing.

I will check with him after CNY to see if he wishes to do for others.

Whats ur tank size? any reference to your tank thread?

And i love the Flame too. Pretty Unique stripes, i counted around 8 stripes on each side. maybe i'm ignorant, but i dun think i ever saw a flame with more than 5 or 6 stripes.

Actually i have a coral beauty too, now im putting the flame to 'show' the coral beauty... so far not sure if they'll fight. But if coral bullies the flame, it's very obvious who i'll keep and who has to go.

muahahaha.

LOL! eh u cannot tell one, last time i let my coral beauty "see" my bicolour. Nothing happen. 3 days later, fight until like what.. But yea. throw away the coral beauty LOL JK. but flame looks MUCH nicer -.-

• Senior Reefer

haha, no tank thread yet. Now quite new. Only 3 US zoos, 1 bubble coral, star polyp, cavularia, sun coral, blue sponge. Then fishes, one coral beauty, a pair of false percs, a pair of banggais, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 cleaner wrasse ( eats anything, and i mean ANYTHING. with me for 1 year), a royal gramma, a sand sifter goby, and a 3" trigger fish...want to sell it/give away.

• Like 1

haha, no tank thread yet. Now quite new. Only 3 US zoos, 1 bubble coral, star polyp, cavularia, sun coral, blue sponge. Then fishes, one coral beauty, a pair of false percs, a pair of banggais, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 cleaner wrasse ( eats anything, and i mean ANYTHING. with me for 1 year), a royal gramma, a sand sifter goby, and a 3" trigger fish...want to sell it/give away.

not bad mah... 1 year cleaner wrasse! seems like you have a 3 footer tank?

gosh, 3" trigger fish, doesn't it disturb your corals?

my bubble and gsp not opening fully yet. i suspect could be pH or calcium problem.

Or maybe my phosphate and NO3 as well.

Haiya, now just have to do everything i can... have been neglecting the tank for too long.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Finally got down to doing a water parameter check after a long time.

Here're the results:

Salinity: 1.022 (Refractometer)

All salifert

Ca: 650 (opps.. too high)

Mg: 1050 (opps too high)

kH: 10.6 (oppps too high)

PO4: 3 (oppps too high) - in a bad way which explains my high algae growth in the new scrubber.

pH: still unknown (can't find one in time).

Everything is high!!

no test kits for ANN. Should be okie, else all my fish will be dead by now.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer
not bad mah... 1 year cleaner wrasse! seems like you have a 3 footer tank?

gosh, 3" trigger fish, doesn't it disturb your corals?

my bubble and gsp not opening fully yet. i suspect could be pH or calcium problem.

Or maybe my phosphate and NO3 as well.

Haiya, now just have to do everything i can... have been neglecting the tank for too long.

haha yes 3 feet. SIAN my whole tank now got epidemic! -__- white spot like siao. I think have the catch all my fish and cure and let my tank go fallow for awhile.

Give ur bubble some time. Bubble coral takes a little bit longer than other corals to open up fully. Ur GSP, maybe can try putting it near water flow? or higher towards light. Mine just open str8 away after placing in tank.

• Senior Reefer
Finally got down to doing a water parameter check after a long time.

Here're the results:

Salinity: 1.022 (Refractometer)

All salifert

Ca: 650 (opps.. too high)

Mg: 1050 (opps too high)

kH: 10.6 (oppps too high)

PO4: 3 (oppps too high) - in a bad way which explains my high algae growth in the new scrubber.

pH: still unknown (can't find one in time).

Everything is high!!

no test kits for ANN. Should be okie, else all my fish will be dead by now.

Ur ca shud be around 400, Mg around 1200. KH should be 11-12. 10.6 is too low. PO4 should be around 0. Ph around 8-8.5

Ur ca shud be around 400, Mg around 1200. KH should be 11-12. 10.6 is too low. PO4 should be around 0. Ph around 8-8.5

funny yah... i think the calcium dose that im using is quite good. (it's the one from brightwell, bought from ML).

Mg and kH, is mine too low? If compared against the 'guidelines' given in the test-kits, mine's considered high...

Anyway... will note down to bump up my Mg and kH.

PO4, definitely must be near zero. Am doing a lot more to lower it. Beckett skimmer + scrubber + mangroves (on the way)... Now im even considering a kalk reactor... hehe.

Truthfully, i've been neglecting the 'supplements' for a few months. And my feeding for the fish got heavier... that explains the sudden burst of algae in the main tank.

On top of that, i realised ive not been changing my carbon and Sorb4 for about 4 months! haha... Must have leeched out all the PO4 back into the tank. tsk tsk tsk...

So now gotta do a lot of remedy action.

Errr... so far i've yet to experience problems with my fish... coz normally i will not pour LFS water into my tank. (unless it's the same place where u buy NSW for water change lah)...

Though i dun really quarantine the fish, i'll cage them in the main tank. If there are any problems, i'll can get them out immediately. So probably thats how im quite "touch-wood" ok so far.

Hopefully things will get better for you.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|