A new beginning

wilsontantw

eh, you know ah... i came home today to another leaning tower of pisa! this time round, i think one SPS prevented the rock from hitting the glass... but guess what, the sps didn't break!

Ray pop by earlier to collect some stuff and witness the rock leaning on the glass...

FInally pop it back into place and this time round, hopefully it will stay in place till the weekend.

i decided not to get my hands wet till weekend.

And finally, today, this fish that i bought a few weeks back decided to do a cameo! And i managed to take a few shots! Haven't seen it since the day it was dropped into the tank.

Can anyone guess the name of this fish??? Note: it's not that straightforward as it seems...

Jeremy cannot participate, coz he is the one who gave it up so i can buy it!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Hahaha, just remember that the epoxy cures out of water very quickly when you get it... East side LFS closest to you that's open after work hours: RB, GO, AM. :eyebrow:

Yah your bam bams are opening too, algae is almost gone... Told you the tailspot blenny will do his job haha.

bhmmm... difficult as i take public transport nowadays... will tahan till next weekend bah... hey saw the bams in your tank thread... looking good and the tailspot is really something.

I think CF has one of these in the recent shipment right??

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Pls pardon the bad colouration... taken with iPhone lah...

post-13920-12765309819384_thumb.jpg

post-13920-12765309908441_thumb.jpg

Spotted Hawkfish (Cirrhitichthys aprinus)?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

Spotted Hawkfish (Cirrhitichthys aprinus)?

hehehe... good shot bro goonz... that would have been my guess too.

hint: it looks like a hawkfish, and its common name has 'hawkfish' in it, but actually it isn't a hawkfish...

Complicated? sure it is... will announce the name tmrw... watch this space... in the mean time, keep the guesses coming.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Frankly dunno what is happening. I lost 12 fish in <10days. And from the looks, the Kole seems like the next victim. I suspect it could be the nsw. Or maybe the fish can't take salinity of 1.026?

I'm okie with the chromis and mini fish dying. Well not ok ok, but less heartache. But Kole dying on me is a no no. Who's going to clean algae on the rocks now???

Better stop meddling with the tank for now.

Let it slowly mature.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Frankly dunno what is happening. I lost 12 fish in <10days. And from the looks, the Kole seems like the next victim. I suspect it could be the nsw. Or maybe the fish can't take salinity of 1.026?

I'm okie with the chromis and mini fish dying. Well not ok ok, but less heartache. But Kole dying on me is a no no. Who's going to clean algae on the rocks now???

Better stop meddling with the tank for now.

Let it slowly mature.

Found anything interesting in the skimmer?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

Ray pop by earlier to collect some stuff and witness the rock leaning on the glass...

FInally pop it back into place and this time round, hopefully it will stay in place till the weekend.

yeah man.. and i finally get to see the little scholar awake.. haha

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

bro my fishes all lived through my stupid mistake of hitting salinity of 1.030 without much side effects other than the pbt getting massive ich outbreak.

Did your skimmer continue to skim as normal during this period? Prime suspect so far could be the NSW. Not too sure myself.

• SRC Member

hehehe... good shot bro goonz... that would have been my guess too.

hint: it looks like a hawkfish, and its common name has 'hawkfish' in it, but actually it isn't a hawkfish...

Complicated? sure it is... will announce the name tmrw... watch this space... in the mean time, keep the guesses coming.

Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish Plectranthias sp.?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

Tell me abt it. I half expected it to tilt just not so soon. Furthermore was

rushing to work. Good thing i woke up 30 mins earlier today.

Actually it's the epoxy that I dun have. Need to find time to buy. But there's no marine shop ard my office leh.

My recommendation. Can deliver. :eyebrow:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89398

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

bro you done full parameter checks?

do let me know if you need help so i can run your errand before hand.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member

bro you done full parameter checks?

do let me know if you need help so i can run your errand before hand.

What does full parameter checks include? You guys do the checks yourself or send samples to laboratory?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

yeah man.. and i finally get to see the little scholar awake.. haha

coz you usually pop by after 10pm ah.

bro my fishes all lived through my stupid mistake of hitting salinity of 1.030 without much side effects other than the pbt getting massive ich outbreak.

Did your skimmer continue to skim as normal during this period? Prime suspect so far could be the NSW. Not too sure myself.

here's some update, kole was found 'stuck' to MP40. Another death today. oh gosh. Skimmer still works as normal.

NSW could be the problem, or maybe my excessive dose of Az-NO3. Obviously i did the "dose first, read later" mistake. Instead of 1 drop for the first day, i dosed slightly more than 1 cap full. Oppppps.

in anycase, i wished it was the leopard and not kole... heartache.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish Plectranthias sp.?

Wow Bro... you are good huh! indeed, it is the Plectranthias. Found this fish a really interesting specimen.

What does full parameter checks include? You guys do the checks yourself or send samples to laboratory?

Full parameter... hmm... most of us are using Salifert test kits (available at most LFS)

these are the parameters that i will be checking (soooooooon).

Salinity

pH

Kh

Calcium

Magnesium

Phosphate

Nitrate (i dont have test kit for this)

For new tanks, include Ammonia and Nitrite.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Wow... looks impressive. Wished I hadn't overspent on reefing this month...

well... another newbie mistake, overstock in a short span... guess what... all died and brought a few others with them!

am evaluating if i should get the recommendation from fuel... (seems like a good product).

Mossrope: sorry i have yet to do the full test. Will endeavour to do it tomorrow. May still need your help me with the gel wor...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Hi Wilson,

My stock for the epoxy has arrived. I have tried it personally and it works as claimed. Totally changes the image for epoxy. :cheers:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89398&pid=922377&st=0&#entry922377

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Fuel bro,

I have a few questions, not sure if you can help here...

1) can it be used underwater?

2) any difference in curing time in/out of water?

3) once it's cured, any possibility of 'removing' it?

For sure I need the epoxy the LR. It's more stable now but everytime I place something on top, feels like it will topple anytime.

I'm just thinking if this is going to replace my zoas/sps gel glue too.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Wow Bro... you are good huh! indeed, it is the Plectranthias. Found this fish a really interesting specimen.

No lar, bro.... I googled base on your hints :P

I am looking forward to add a pair in my tank this weekend. Anyone see any nice selections in any LFS?

Full parameter... hmm... most of us are using Salifert test kits (available at most LFS)

these are the parameters that i will be checking (soooooooon).

Salinity

pH

Kh

Calcium

Magnesium

Phosphate

Nitrate (i dont have test kit for this)

For new tanks, include Ammonia and Nitrite.

I find the test kits too troublesome..... lol.....

I only have a pH monitor and kH testkit, a calcium test kit but since I have nothing that leech calcium in huge amount, I am not testing it yet.

Have to get other test kit......

Regards,

Billy Cheong